Menu

Schools for the Classics

Gratia271

DD and I have been trying to research the best schools for an undergrad in the Classics. She will be pairing this with either math or Chem.  We are having a hard time figuring out the best schools at the undergrad level.  We need to arrive at a short list of schools to visit this fall. 

In terms of her background in the Classics, she is in her 5th year of Attic Greek, focusing on tragedy, and her 4th year/AP Latin.  The schools we have come up with that have course offerings so far are University of Chicago, Princeton and Stanford.  What others should she look at? 

DD and I have been trying to research the best schools for an undergrad in the Classics. She will be pairing this with either math or Chem.  We are having a hard time figuring out the best schools at the undergrad level.  We need to arrive at a short list of schools to visit this fall. 

In terms of her background in the Classics, she is in her 5th year of Attic Greek, focusing on tragedy, and her 4th year/AP Latin.  The schools we have come up with that have course offerings so far are University of Chicago, Princeton and Stanford.  What others should she look at? 

Cal, Michigan, Harvard, Yale, Brown, really all the Ivies, UNC, Bryn Mawr. 

Because she's coming in with 5 years of Greek and 4 of Latin, if she wants to continue in these languages, she'll want to go to a University with a strong graduate program in the classics, otherwise, she'll run out of classes fast.  Therefore, I'd avoid any pretty much any traditional LAC.

Here's a ranking I found. IMO, it seems reasonable based on my familiarity with a couple of the school's programs, but do your own due diligence:

http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_rankings/area2.html

ETA: These are programs that study Latin and Greek. They're not like St. John's where you follow a four year plan that reads classic works up through modern times.

These are all great suggestions.

CS Lewis Foundation had some parents hyped several years back because Hobby Lobby supposedly bought out a historic property where a private boarding high school had been somewhere in MA and a Great Books/Classical Education college operated by the foundation was supposed to go up on that site. They even rounded up a couple thousand volunteers to help get the property in order for it's opening 2012 or 2013. It didn't happen. Would have been interesting if it had!

I think Oberlin still has a Classics major. Hillsdale in Michigan, and Antioch College in Ohio.

Antioch is  in Yellow Springs, OH, an earthy, artistic type community, and is a beautiful campus nestled in a pretty area of Ohio.

Cal, Michigan, Harvard, Yale, Brown, really all the Ivies, UNC, Bryn Mawr. 

Because she's coming in with 5 years of Greek and 4 of Latin, if she wants to continue in these languages, she'll want to go to a University with a strong graduate program in the classics, otherwise, she'll run out of classes fast.  Therefore, I'd avoid any pretty much any traditional LAC.

That is the big issue I'm finding as we research.  By the time she matriculates, she will have 6 years of Greek and 5 of Latin... She loves studying it, and it is tough finding schools that go really far in the languages or allow undergrads to go further.

Here's a ranking I found. IMO, it seems reasonable based on my familiarity with a couple of the school's programs, but do your own due diligence:

http://www.stat.tamu.edu/~jnewton/nrc_rankings/area2.html

ETA: These are programs that study Latin and Greek. They're not like St. John's where you follow a four year plan that reads classic works up through modern times.

Thanks for the link!

+1 for what GGardner says.

Here's a suggestion for starting your list. Use something like http://phds.org/rankings/classicsto make a list of PhD programs in classics (Since she wants to study classics and she is so advanced already she probably shouldn't consider anything without a PhD program). That will narrow down the list A LOT. Then she can review their websites and see which ones she wants to visit.