Menu

How about another MEP thread?

Slache

Sorry. I've searched old threads and I'm not satisfied.

Is the mental math not very good, good enough, or superb?

Is anything not covered well enough, such as money, measurement or anything else?

If we stick with it we will be able to transfer to any algebra we want, correct? I know they have higher math, but I want options.

If you've done it with Miquon did that work out well?

We're starting Reception Monday and I like the look of the higher levels. Thanks for recommending it.  :thumbup1:

I haven't used it all the way by any stretch - just bits and pieces. But the measurement is clearly not enough for American kids - it only sort of covers English from what I could see, which makes sense, just something to note. And, of course, American coins won't be covered at all, so that's something to add. Of course, other topics, like Roman numerals get massively overcovered from an American standpoint.

I haven't used it all the way by any stretch - just bits and pieces. But the measurement is clearly not enough for American kids - it only sort of covers English from what I could see, which makes sense, just something to note. And, of course, American coins won't be covered at all, so that's something to add. Of course, other topics, like Roman numerals get massively overcovered from an American standpoint.

I assumed. At least it's an easy fix. :)

We haven't used this program all the way through elementary yet.  I used a good amount of it with A., who is radically accelerated in maths, and am using MEP as my main math for N., who learns maths quickly. 

The mental math is very good.  They get a good deal of practice and transfer easily to real-world problems.  I always had to supplement teaching money so don't think of that as a weakness; the measurement is fine, though you will want practice in American units.  If you do the measurement problems make sure to turn off the auto-scaling when you print!  This makes the page numbers disappear but then the problems will print so that you can measure them accurately. 

You will be able to transfer to algebra nicely.  I always find a bit of an adjustment when we switch, no matter which program and no matter if we are switching "up" or "down" [A.'s math education has necessitated quite a bit of curriculum-hopping] so there will be some transitional moments; but MEP is outstanding mathematical preparation.  I plan to use it through Y6 for N, and then try AoPS Intro materials or keep going with MEP. 

I am paralleling with Life of Fred elementary right now, and may add some Singapore (esp. mental math and speed math books -- I know I like the speed math books separately from the Singapore program); will definitely try supplementing with Beast Academy when we get old enough.  Life of Fred is providing terrific review and is a great supplement for us -- we've done Apples and are in Butterflies, and N. is on lesson 64 of Y1, if that gives an idea of levels.  LoF actually gives some friendly fact review, though I don't think it would be enough on its own to make me happy. 

I'll add that I think the mental math is really good in it. Superior to some of the programs touted for mental math. But I haven't used it all the way through. I know that at least one poster who isn't on the boards as much anymore used it with her dd and is now moved to a pre-algebra program, so yes, you can definitely transition at some point if you want to.

I'll add that I think the mental math is really good in it. Superior to some of the programs touted for mental math. But I haven't used it all the way through. I know that at least one poster who isn't on the boards as much anymore used it with her dd and is now moved to a pre-algebra program, so yes, you can definitely transition at some point if you want to.

I had originally intended, for the past 2 years or so, to use Ray's with Miquon. Would you say that MEP's mental math is on par with Ray's?

I had originally intended, for the past 2 years or so, to use Ray's with Miquon. Would you say that MEP's mental math is on par with Ray's?

I don't know Ray's well enough to say. I just like that MEP has some problems that are specifically for mental math and I love the phrasing of "solve these in a clever way." In the early grades, there's certainly plenty of drill type practice (sort of like Math Mammoth, but not quite so much) and things where you have to play around with the numbers to make sure you really get it (that made me think of Miquon) and that's the sort of thing that builds a mental math foundation.

My current 5yo isn't very strong with counting still. We are working on place value and how we actually get from 19 to 20. Even with manipulatives it still gets jumbled in her head. She counts "twenty-nine, twenty-ten." I strongly encourage Asian type counting and she still says 2-ten-ten. :001_huh: For this particular child, we will probably be using MEP because she needs to focus on just small numbers with math concepts before she moves on to larger numbers (which happens quickly with SM).

MEP is great at keeping numbers small but still working important and strong math concepts.

We have done levels 1 through 4 and I think the program is superb for mental math and problem strategies. It will transition nicely into algebra. We do use a second basic math program so I am not relying on MEP for teaching money or American measurement. I like all the metric and Roman numeral activities.

We've finished Years Reception-4 (and dabbled in 5), and the only "weaknesses" I can see are:

Americans/Canadians will need to add in specific practice with their currency and measurement (I kept the metric work as is, and my children have a much better grasp of metric than I ever did...),

*my children*  needed more targeted review (than was scheduled) of Roman numerals and the multiplication tables,

printing can be a pain--use the actual size setting to get measurement problems to correct scale, and add in page numbers by hand if needed.

Please be aware that the Teacher's Notes are essential--do not just assume the student pages have all that you are expected to understand. There is specific and needed teaching in the notes, and extra problems that are well worth the time. I would stick to the Teacher's Notes as closely as possible (with obvious editing as needed, since you are not teaching a classroom full of kids, and don't necessarily need to take rest times, sing songs, and have a 45 min. class :tongue_smilie: ).  In Years 1-6, also be aware that some of the material in most of the lessons is extra (extension) -- a harder problem, a new concept for more able students and teacher to chew on; don't feel the need to do everything, every day, or you may greatly frustrate an average student who is not quite ready for some of the extra stuff.  Ask me how I know... :001_rolleyes:.

This blog has some good info on using MEP...   http://www.ohpeacefulday.blogspot.com/search/label/Mathematics

Edit:  forgot to answer your other questions:

MEP combines very well with Miquon; many of the activities in first few years are very well suited to C-rods, and call for "number strips" or C-rods. 

I think a student that has done MEP 1-6 *with understanding* will be well prepared for Pre-A. No worries.

Most of the money is pounds and pence and I just mention the parallels to dollars and cents and exchange rates) and then carry on.

It took me a year to find my comfort level with picking out activities that were okay to skip. That may just be me, but as the years go by don't be afraid to edit the lessons if needed.

We're been using it for years 2-4 so far.

My elder dd is now doing MEP Year 6. We started with RS B when she was in 1st grade, but switched to MEP Y1 at Christmas that year and have stayed with it ever since. So she got some mental math tools from RS which she has used extensively with MEP. The mental math has been excellent all through the program, though, so she has kept up the skills all through the years.

We haven't had any trouble with the lack of American money or measurements. We pretend that the pounds are dollars and she just does the math. She gets practice with coins through her regular life. She also helps me cook and we do household measurements in inches/feet, so she is familiar with them too.

Years 5 and 6 are supposed to cover pre-Algebra, and I'd say she could move into Algebra next year if we wanted. I think, though, that we're going to stick to MEP because (a) it works for her and (b) it connects the different parts of math in a way that American math doesn't and math professors wish it would. We're not planning on sending dd to a standard high school, so I'm pretty confident that she'll be ok as long as she understands the math and can do the work.

Re: Roman numerals -- I know the do a lot in Roman numerals from an American perspective, but I've found that it has reinforced dd's mental math skills.

:)

Agreeing with all of the above. Using it for years 1-3 1/2 I would call the mental math superb! The Roman Numerals are great for mental math and number manipulation that will transfer to other areas of math, it's great for abstract and mental math thinking/problem solving,there is a very occasional problem asked that has "impossible" as the answer (the student is expected to state that instead of guessing at an incorrect answer), very heavy on algebraic and geometric thinking, great lesson plans that review and extend concepts beyond a basic worksheet based traditional program, there are puzzles and charts that get the mind wheels turning, some of the extension exercises go right over my head and I skip, etc...

Pros and cons for our family:

MEP works wonderfully for my "live, eat, breathe, and sleep" numbers obsessed ds. I add in US measurements and US money as needed, mainly in real life application scenerios. It is getting VERY time consuming for both of us midway through year 3. His other subjects are also requiring more time and depth of thinking as well which doesn't help. I am planning to continue using MEP as much as realistically possible with him, but slowing down the pace. I have ordered CLE for him to do on days I don't have time to teach him a long lesson or days his other subjects require more brain power than usual.

It is additionally draining for me because my dd who is midway thru y1 doesn't think abstractly by nature and doesn't think numbers are the end all be all to the enjoyment of life. She is really struggling with the depth of the MEP problems. She is fine with basic adding and subtracting within 10 and will be fine with the basics within 20 by the end of the year.. She is fine with 4+3<8+1. She is not fine with MEP's more complex take on < and > like: 2+3+_ <(by 3) 8+2-1 . She is fine with Roman numeral problems like V+V=X. She is not fine with MEPs more complex problems like: change one stick to make this equation true: VI+VI=X. I want her to atleast understand these more complex problems partially (not expecting mastery though) before moving on in the program. The program will get exponitially more complicated for her if she doesn't atleast partially grasp how to approach solving the more in depth problems. I am seeing visions of CLE math as a spine in her future with MEP as a supplement.

Regardless, it sounds like MEP will fit your long term goals for a math program nicely. I'm am not familiar with Miquon or Ray's.