Menu

My head is spinning! Help!

KBadd

I have been posting questions lately about planning next year, and just when I think I have it figured out I get confused again! I love researching curriculum and groups, but I want to feel peace about the decision and do what's best for my family.

I have 3 boys who will be 6, 4, and 2 in the fall. Obviously ds6 will be in 1st grade, but what about ds4 who loves preschool books and is doing OPGTTR?

Our family's options:

Option 1: TOG - I'm sure I will use this at some point and there's a good chance I'll love it. Deciding whether to try now or wait.

Option 2: WTM recommendations - SOTW, FLL, WWE for ds6. Maybe with FIAR or MP for ds4? (Ds4 especially loves literature and poetry.)

Option 3: something else like SL.

Option 4: CC (see below). Use as our spine or add to one of the other options as a supplement? Do for a few years before TOG, to learn memory work methods and have community?

Now I have co-op/group options!! Dh and I graduated from a very large hs group. We now live across the country and are looking for friendships and community with people here. Dh especially has been interested in finding a group. (I guess typical co-ops don't take grab me but might be beneficial for us in this situation.)

Option 4 (again): CC

Option 5: community bible study, which we've done this year and love.

Option 6: a local church hosts a community outreach similar to CBS only instead of studying the Bible they go through great Christian books (think classes - sometimes parenting, marriage, relationship with God, etc.) I love the women at this group! I've been making friends and love the older Christian women I can learn from, but I like the content of CBS and the quality of CBS's kids program. I'm just not sure it's worth the time out of our home. Maybe I can try to keep up some of my new friendships?

Option 7: a co-op/support group that offers weekly classes which change by semester and monthly parent meetings.

Option 8: a co-op offering just monthly parent meetings and field trips (offers yearbook and things for older children but not applicable to us.)

PLEASE help me make a decision and get some peace of mind :)

Tell me which option(s) you'd do for all of us, or for ds6 and ds4 separately.

Well, I have really only had experience with Option 2 (although I have looked extensively into Option 1 for us as well).  Option 2 is pretty much the path we followed for kindergarten through 2nd grade and made some changes for this year (3rd grade).  I have never regretted the decision to use the WTM path.  We have only made changes because of growing learners' changing needs and family needs.  I have used FIAR (and BFIAR) for 4 1/2 years now and LOVE it.  I recommend it to lots of people as a totally worth while curriculum.  I would say you would also find that you can use it with all 3 children (obviously with adaptations for each age).  There is some overlap too between MP Story Time Treasures and FIAR literature selections but 4 y.o. might be a little young to use MP STT.  

You might just need to try something and see how you like it.

I'm happy with something along the lines of option 2; it sounds like for social reasons you might like to also do 8. With your kids all being young, a lot of the others (especially 4-7) might be more trouble than they're worth right now, but might serve your purposes really well in a few years.

Did you happen to take advantage of TOG's free unit promotion this month?  It might be a good way to see if the curriculum would be worth the investment for your family at this time.  It's called Changing Horses and you should be able to find a link on their website.  I'm in a similar situation as you this year - a just turned 7 year old and an almost 4 year old with a new baby.  I chose to go with TOG for our 1st grade year and I don't regret it.  We keep it very simple but it has been a great curriculum and I'm so excited to use it over the years as we hit dialectic and rhetoric stages.  I plan to buy year 2 for 2nd grade and continue on with it.  I use WWE and FFL for language arts and we are enjoying those as well.  I agree with a previous poster that you may just have to jump in and try some out.  I don't think you can go wrong following the WTM method but I really love TOG and think it's a great investment for those who know they will use it in the higher levels.

As far as the co-ops go, I am in a co-op similar to your option 7.  There is not usually a lot of academic value in a co-op like this for those following a classical approach (unless you find a strictly classical co-op) but I didn't join for the academics.  I really wanted my son to have a small window in his schooling where he took instructions from someone other than me and had the chance to be in group projects and make friends.  We are also in a community bible study which we love and would do regardless of homeschooling or not.  Maybe making a list of exactly what you want out of community for your family would help you narrow this down.  If you want assistance with the academics, CC might be the way to go.  If you are just looking for fun, option 7 or 8.  Or if you want religious support, then 5 or 6 might be best. 

I probably haven't helped much but I wanted to post to say, I've been where you are and felt the pressure to make the best choice the first time.  The beauty of starting young is that  you have time to try things out and see what works for your family.  Make a list with your hubby of what your priorities are and go from there.  Wishing you all the best!

• Like 2

Did you happen to take advantage of TOG's free unit promotion this month?  It might be a good way to see if the curriculum would be worth the investment for your family at this time.  It's called Changing Horses and you should be able to find a link on their website.  I'm in a similar situation as you this year - a just turned 7 year old and an almost 4 year old with a new baby.  I chose to go with TOG for our 1st grade year and I don't regret it.  We keep it very simple but it has been a great curriculum and I'm so excited to use it over the years as we hit dialectic and rhetoric stages.  I plan to buy year 2 for 2nd grade and continue on with it.  I use WWE and FFL for language arts and we are enjoying those as well.  I agree with a previous poster that you may just have to jump in and try some out.  I don't think you can go wrong following the WTM method but I really love TOG and think it's a great investment for those who know they will use it in the higher levels.

As far as the co-ops go, I am in a co-op similar to your option 7.  There is not usually a lot of academic value in a co-op like this for those following a classical approach (unless you find a strictly classical co-op) but I didn't join for the academics.  I really wanted my son to have a small window in his schooling where he took instructions from someone other than me and had the chance to be in group projects and make friends.  We are also in a community bible study which we love and would do regardless of homeschooling or not.  Maybe making a list of exactly what you want out of community for your family would help you narrow this down.  If you want assistance with the academics, CC might be the way to go.  If you are just looking for fun, option 7 or 8.  Or if you want religious support, then 5 or 6 might be best. 

I probably haven't helped much but I wanted to post to say, I've been where you are and felt the pressure to make the best choice the first time.  The beauty of starting young is that  you have time to try things out and see what works for your family.  Make a list with your hubby of what your priorities are and go from there.  Wishing you all the best!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. It is helpful to remember we have time to try things out. Hubby has been on a business trip this week, but I did want to talk this over with him this weekend :)

We signed up for TOG's free unit and I'm downloading it this weekend! :) hopefully that will give me a good idea whether I want to try that next year.

I definitely started out in a similar worried, unsure, and overwhelmed place. Take comfort: anyone who's giving as much thought to this as you are will figure it out! 

My main piece of advice regarding activities is to think about what you need to be a sane, happy mother and then work from there, because your kids will likely be fine with any of those options. Homeschooling at the beginning truly doesn't take a ton of time per day, so don't feel any guilt at all about choosing social/out-of-the-house options that will keep you feeling refreshed and happy. (But at the same time, don't overload your schedule so much that you're exhausted either!) 

Regarding curriculum, those are a bunch of good options, too, and any one of them would probably be great. I'd personally lean against doing TOG during the early years, since it requires so much teacher prep and material gathering. That's a lot to handle when you're just getting used to homeschooling and have a toddler. As much as possible, I prefer to choose curriculum where I can just open up the book and do the next lesson, because the more lesson planning I have to do, the less likely I am to actually teach a lesson! 

Also make sure to include a lot of the subjects that make you happy and give you joy to teach to your kids. If your four year old loves literature and poetry, I suspect it's because you enjoy them and are already happily sharing them with him--so keep it up and make sure to include it! I'm in my second year of MP picture book read-alouds, and they're truly wonderful books (and their corresponding craft books are very fun). 

• Like 2

Now I have co-op/group options!! Dh and I graduated from a very large hs group. We now live across the country and are looking for friendships and community with people here. Dh especially has been interested in finding a group. (I guess typical co-ops don't take grab me but might be beneficial for us in this situation.) Option 4 (again): CC Option 5: community bible study, which we've done this year and love. Option 6: a local church hosts a community outreach similar to CBS only instead of studying the Bible they go through great Christian books (think classes - sometimes parenting, marriage, relationship with God, etc.) I love the women at this group! I've been making friends and love the older Christian women I can learn from, but I like the content of CBS and the quality of CBS's kids program. I'm just not sure it's worth the time out of our home. Maybe I can try to keep up some of my new friendships? Option 7: a co-op/support group that offers weekly classes which change by semester and monthly parent meetings. Option 8: a co-op offering just monthly parent meetings and field trips (offers yearbook and things for older children but not applicable to us.) PLEASE help me make a decision and get some peace of mind :) Tell me which option(s) you'd do for all of us, or for ds6 and ds4 separately.

A support group can be very valuable, but IMHO, a *co-op* for such young children wouldn't be a great idea. There isn't anything your children need to learn at their ages that you are incapable of teaching.. Is your Option 8 a co-op or a support group? If it's a support group, then it would get my vote; if it's a co-op, then no.

If your CBS Bible study or other activity is in the evening, then go. If it's in the day, then don't.

I definitely started out in a similar worried, unsure, and overwhelmed place. Take comfort: anyone who's giving as much thought to this as you are will figure it out! 

My main piece of advice regarding activities is to think about what you need to be a sane, happy mother and then work from there, because your kids will likely be fine with any of those options. Homeschooling at the beginning truly doesn't take a ton of time per day, so don't feel any guilt at all about choosing social/out-of-the-house options that will keep you feeling refreshed and happy. (But at the same time, don't overload your schedule so much that you're exhausted either!) 

Regarding curriculum, those are a bunch of good options, too, and any one of them would probably be great. I'd personally lean against doing TOG during the early years, since it requires so much teacher prep and material gathering. That's a lot to handle when you're just getting used to homeschooling and have a toddler. As much as possible, I prefer to choose curriculum where I can just open up the book and do the next lesson, because the more lesson planning I have to do, the less likely I am to actually teach a lesson! 

Also make sure to include a lot of the subjects that make you happy and give you joy to teach to your kids. If your four year old loves literature and poetry, I suspect it's because you enjoy them and are already happily sharing them with him--so keep it up and make sure to include it! I'm in my second year of MP picture book read-alouds, and they're truly wonderful books (and their corresponding craft books are very fun). 

Thank you very much for your encouragement! It's comforting to hear from other hs moms who felt this way. I appreciate your advice also.

My opinion only, but looking back on things I did or didn't do, I would either go with SOTW with the AG or join a CC group.  I can see how for starters CC is encouraging and gets the basics of some history, geography, etc., done.  Depends if you want to pay and spend a whole morning out of the house.  At your kids' ages, it would be fine as the other days can be spent on basics, etc.    TOG would have been way too much for me at that age and too much prep for what you get in LG.  If you wanted more that SOTW then maybe you are interested in MFW?  Sometimes I paid way too much for co-op groups just to get some social in, etc., hoping they learn something.  I find it best for us to work hard at home and for social go to a homeschool park day group, etc.  I think the group you were in with bible study and getting to know other women is great.  I wish I had something like that for fellowship, etc.  Anyways, my main input is TOG would not have worked for us at those ages.  They do have a primer program out now that you could check out.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all! Here's an update on our plans. Any advice would be appreciated.

We'll be doing CBS but no other co-ops and no CC. I decided to try to simplify rather than overcomplicate or over-commit.

Ds4: joining with brother as much as desired (he likes to join in or listen in.) Plus maybe ZB Handwriting. Continuing OPGTTR. MP K enrichment with older brother.

Ds6 (1st):

Singapore Math 1a and 1b

ZB Handwriting

Finish OPGTTR

Maybe WWE?

FLL

SOTW w/ activity book

MP K enrichment

I'm deciding between putting off spelling until 2nd, using R&S, or starting Spelling Workout A this year.

Language: any suggestions? Probably Spanish. Maybe Salsa Spanish or La Clase Divertida. I thought Spanish would be fun for both of them to learn together.

Bible: LLO2G, memorizing verses, CBS.

Science: ?

Might put together animals and plants study a lá WTM. Also use Guesthollow study of the human body.

He loves R&S wkbks so we're continuing on GHI series also, both boys together, for fun. Not sure what we'll do for wkbk fun when that's finished.

Does this sound good??

It looks good to me. I'd put off spelling until 2nd or 3rd grade. I'd also hold off on a language, unless you have something you'd just like to use for fun, and it won't be adding a lot of time or stress to your day.

Science--for now, find topics that interest them and read library books. WTM science was always a flop for me. I have become a fan of focusing on nature study topics in elementary and saving more abstract science for later. I think I'm going to buy Outdoor Secrets for my rising 1st grader to give me a framework.

Also, don't forget plenty of playtime. We have a local group of homeschoolers that go to the park every week. It's not a formal co-op but sometimes they decide to do other little field trips together, too. I haven't gone this year, because my 2 oldest are too old to enjoy it and my youngest has been in PS. But once this school year is over, we are totally starting up park day again. That is the one thing I miss from having a bunch of littles underfoot--spending hours at the park with nothing else pressing on our schedule.

Tell me which option(s) you'd do for all of us, or for ds6 and ds4 separately

Since you asked for opinions :) , here you go:

option 1 = just NO (TOG is best for late middle school/high school; wait until at LEAST one or more DC are at that stage)

option 2 = MAYBE, if these match the DC's learning style and academic level (is the 1st grader ready for that much formal school?)

option 3 = MAYBE, but only if 1 core/program works for all DC (and do NOT try and do it in addition to option 2)

option 4 = NO (your DC are not old enough yet to benefit, or to justify the cost, and the stress on you)

option 5 OR 6 (not both) = a do-able fun extracurricular to the week (your DC are still so young, school won't take you more than 2-3 hours total each day for everyone, so a weekly Bible study would not crunch your schedule)

option 7 OR 8 (not both) = a do-able fun extracurricular to the week (if you're not doing any other extracurriculars or activities for DC, this could be fun; option 7 sounds like more commitment and work for YOU, so if you opt to add this, maybe go for option 8)

I have been posting questions lately about planning next year, and just when I think I have it figured out I get confused again! I love researching curriculum and groups, but I want to feel peace about the decision and do what's best for my family. I have 3 boys who will be 6, 4, and 2 in the fall. 

My only advice: your DC are so very young. Really, all you need to accomplish this year with the 6yo is beginning to read, some early math, and a little copywork to practice writing. For the 4yo all you need is very beginning exposure to letter sounds and phonics (unless he's already reading). For any other subject for everyone, just continue to promote discovery and the joy of learning, lots of imaginative play, and read alouds galore for everyone. The upshot -- probably whatever you use will be great!  :)

When DSs were in the early elementary years, we really enjoyed being in a small homeschool support group -- about 6-8 families. We met several times a month for field trips, park days, and fun other activities, and that was a perfect amount of getting out, kids getting to play, mom-support and mentoring one another, and getting to do some fun things as a group. if that's what your option 8 is, that would be ideal. :)

Enjoy your little people and your learning together! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 2