Menu

DS8 Loved Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books - what else?

Let me start by saying he is a tough cookie to please when it comes to books. He LOVED the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Treasure (all three books). I'm anxious to get books he will love as much. It's hard to find him books he truly enjoys reading to himself, and I want to capitalize on his desire to read right now.

TIA!

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is what I think of as an "episodic" novel. Each chapter is its own story, so it's not necessary to read the whole book in one sitting or to remember the storyline and plot twists from one chapter to the next. Those books used to be more popular, I think, than they are today. Other books like that include

Pippi Longstocking

Karlsson on the Roof

The Great Brain (but this is definitely a much harder read)

Homer Price

Sideways Stories from Wayside School

Ellray Jakes

The Henry Huggins books

Mitch and Amy

Bobby the Brave

THere are more than just three mrs. Piggle wiggle books, iirc. He might like the fudge books by Judy Blume - when my kids liked Mrs.PW, they also thought fudge was hilarious - I think they start with Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing. He might also like the Beezus and Ramona series and Homer Price. And The Willoughby's is super funny!

Let me start by saying he is a tough cookie to please when it comes to books. He LOVED the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Treasure (all three books). I'm anxious to get books he will love as much. It's hard to find him books he truly enjoys reading to himself, and I want to capitalize on his desire to read right now.

TIA!

Just a quick thought, but aren't there four Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books? You might prolong his reading there as you hunt for more:)

In addition to the list above, The Year of Miss Agnes might appeal as well. Alex liked Gooney Bird Greene before that, but as they are about a 2nd grade girl he might not find them as great.

Pippi Longstocking

Homer Price

The Fudge series

Matilda

Are all favorites around here.

Oooh, everybody loves The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks.

Honestly, sometimes I think the 70s - 90s* were a mini-golden age in real-world fiction for kids. Now we have lots of really great fantasy for kids, but shorter books and real world settings are thin on the ground.

* Of course, that's when *I* was a kid.

The woman who wrote Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle also wrote one other children's book: Nancy and Plum, based on a story she told her two daughters. Her adult books are also WONDERFUL. I re-read Onions in the Stew every couple of years. 

Ds loved those as well. The next two, IIRC, that he loved at the time were The Enormous Egg and Freddy, the Detective. Hilariously, he won a library book review/essay contest for his review of Freddy, the Detective and when the committee came out to give it to him it was clear that they mostly just loved that he had written about a book from *their* childhood. Hehe.

TIA!

Mrs. Pigglewiggle titles are Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Magic, Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm. We big pink puffy heart Mrs. Pigglewiggle. I started reading the to my dc because I remembered one of my teachers reading at least a couple of chapters in class. :-)

Your ds might also like the Rescuers series by Margery Sharp (NOT Disney!):

1. The Rescuers (1959)
  2. Miss Bianca (1962)
  3. The Turret (1963)
  4. Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines (1966)
  5. Miss Bianca in the Orient (1970)
  6. Miss Bianca in the Antarctic (1971)
  7. Miss Bianca and the Bridesmaid (1972)
  8. Bernard the Brave (1977)
  9. Bernard into Battle (1978)

They are rare (although seems to someone said that the original Rescuers has been reprinted...check Amazon or Barnes & Noble), but they are worth the search.