Menu

Any classical jewish homeschoolers out there

Sharon

I think that I saw a note about you on the BASIC email list--South Bay Area, two young children, yes?

I am not Jewish, but I do homeschool more or less classically and I would be glad to talk with you about it if you would like. My daughter is 12, and so I've been through all the basic skills stuff already. I can point you to some homeschooling friendly places that you might find congenial.

Please PM or email me if you would like.

Regards, Carol in Cal.

We are Jewish in that my husband is, though he is anything but religious. We loosely follow the ideas in the WTM but rather than classical, I would call us rigorous eclectic homeschoolers. We use secular materials. Over the years we have gotten some materials for religous and Hebrew studies from Behrman House.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information. Welcome to the boards!

We're Jewish, but pretty much secular in our schooling. We do run our schoolweek from Sunday to Thursday so that I have Fridays open to take my youngest to Tot Shabbat, and we definitely incorporate Jewish themes during our reading times and around holidays, but not much else.

... and sometimes feel like the only ones out there, especially because we live in an area known for its public schools, with few homeschoolers who are not evangelical Christian. I was raised reform, as was my husband. My children go to Hebrew School 2 hours per week, Sunday School 2 hours per week, plus we celebrate Shabbat and all the Jewish holidays at home and in our wonderful reform synagogue in Encintas, California.

Here is our curriculum for this year, so far:

DS, age 8 (4th grade): Singapore 6A (almost finished)/6B/ LOF Decimals and Percents, MCT Language Arts, Wordly Wise 6, IEW B, Prentice Hall Science Explorer, History of US, SOTW, Trail Guide to US Geography - also Spanish, music lessons, baseball, tennis

DS, age 10 (5th grade): Saxon 87, Singapore 5A/5B, LOF Decimals and Percents, MCT Language Arts, Wordly Wise 6, IEW B, Prentice Hall Science Explorer, History of US, SOTW, Trail Guide to US Geography - also Spanish, music lessons, tennis

Email if you have any questions!

Laurie

I was so interested to see your post. I've wondered if there are Jewish homeschoolers frequenting these boards. I'm just an afterschooler, but find excellent resources on this site. I have not found too many Jewish homeschooling resources out there from a reform or even conservative perspective. Now that my older DD has begun Kindergarten at our local PS, and is no longer is Jewish preschool, I am hoping to incorporate more Judaica into our working time together.