Menu

If we loved Cosmos...

Well, fwiw Cosmos wasn't our favorite but in the space related theme we're LOVING Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, sadly I couldn't find it streaming but I was able to get it ILL from the library, we've been watching it as a family. FYI for those who are religious there is an episode about if there is a creator, dh and I viewed that on our own because I wasn't for sure how it would be. The episode on Black Holes was especially interesting, amazing really, they don't hold back with the science either. It seems a step above of Nova with detail but still extremely interesting.

Do you mean about the same topics or in the same style?

In the same style, we really liked...

Hunting the Elements (chemistry)

Your Inner Fish (evolution)

How We Got to Now (history)

All of those presented big ideas by focusing on lots of different aspects in an interesting way.

Do you mean about the same topics or in the same style?

All of those presented big ideas by focusing on lots of different aspects in an interesting way.

Same style or same topics.  Thanks for the suggestions!

A second vote for these.  We LOVED all of these.

Thanks for the thread!  We will look into the other suggestions, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Evolution or a billions-of-years-old universe is incorporated in all of the listings below.

***Note for below: I link to Amazon for reviews, but I have listed Netflix availability***

1) We have just started watching Wonders of the Universe, but I don't think that we are "into" it enough to make a judgment.

Available on Netflix by disk, but not by streaming.

2) The Voyager Odyssey is a bit dated, but it is  Voyager Mission(s) as they happen.  When I first saw this documentary more than a decade ago, I sat at the edge of my seat with each discovery.  It made our universe real in a way that my daughters don't comprehend yet.  It fills in the the gaps of "why" and "how do we know?" for me.  Rather than just knowing that a planet or a moon has shifting ice or volcanic vents, I am a spectator to the original discovery and the explanation of WHY.

I am awed by the scientists that worked their brains out in a race against the clock to make Voyager I and II happen.  If they hadn't met this deadline, it would have been over 150 years  (168 years?) before all the planets lined up so perfectly again.  I am humbled that these discoveries were made just a few short decades ago, within my lifetime.  I am saddened that some of these planets haven't been visited since then.

I plan to share this documentary with my children with they get a little older.  I hope they share the wonder and inspiration that I encountered in viewing it.

Disclaimer: pictures of the planets are a bit dated in color and clarity.  It can be like getting a child interested in a black-and-white movie.

Not available on Netflix.

3) Growing Up in the Universe (Richard Dawkins).  This is Dr. Dawkins giving "children's level" lectures during the Christmas season.  It's a great introduction to evolution and physics.

Not available on Netflix.

4) Origins - From the Big Bang to Extraterrestrial Life, Neil deGrasse Tyson (NOVA) leads us through the latest research to answer the question of "Where did we come from?"

Available on Netflix, but not by streaming.

5) Becoming Human (Human Evolution)  available through both Amazon Streaming and Netflix (disks).

Seconding How the Universe Works.  Fantastic, although if you are theistic in views of the big bang/universe formation/formation of the earth, you might want to watch it with your child to inject commentary (they say a lot of things like "just happened by chance to be the right distance from..." or "by luck, just the right amount of water..." etc.) 

It used to be on Netflix for free (I think it is gone, now :( ), but we liked it so much that we bought our own copy for ds.  He would watch it over cartoons. Dh and I also found it fascinating. 

If we're just talking good, quality compelling documentaries, I'll add in all the Attenborough Life of... ones. So, so good.

Also, I just tend to thumb through whatever is available in terms of old NOVA episodes and let the kids pick whatever looks interesting. So two big hits were one about Otzi, the iceman mummy, and one about a mysterious drawing that some collectors believed may have been painted by Da Vinci. I really liked the one about learning the Mayan hieroglyphs. They all can have different styles of storytelling, so they can be a little hit or miss with my duo but it's a good source of documentaries.

3) Growing Up in the Universe (Richard Dawkins).  This is Dr. Dawkins giving "children's level" lectures during the Christmas season.  It's a great introduction to evolution and physics.

The Royal Institution has some of the old Christmas Lectures free online including Dawkin's lectures from this DVD.

http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures/watch

Though not hard core science, my kids love Mythbusters. The show is quirky but the science is typically solid. There are a few episodes with suggestive stuff in them, moderate to frequent BEEEEEEP edits, but overall it is generally kid friendly. Naturally, that is just my opinion.

Not  a documentary, but if you want practical astronomy:

Star Gazers is a 5-minute weekly show that talks about what is in the night sky this week.  They teach you how to find constellations and comets, and they teach a little general astronomy.

I've linked to the website, but for us, it plays late Friday or Saturday night on PBS.  Fire up the TIVO to make sure you don't miss it, and invest in a green laser pointer to help your kids see what you see in the night sky.  Episodes can be seen online, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to this old post.

OP, I am not sure if you were referring to the old or new Cosmos.  

We LOVE Carl Sagan's Cosmos.  Some of us have enjoyed Degrasse-Tyson's.  I don't like it nearly as much.

Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe etc. have been life-changing in our household.  Human Universe is good, too!

I love Fabric of the Cosmos, although it hurts my brain sometimes.

Check out some of our other faves - Iain Stewart's How to Grow a Planet, Jim Al-khalili's Science and Islam, and Simon Schafer's Light Fantastic.  Iain Stewart, Jim Alkhalili and Brian Cox are amazing at whatever they do.

Also check out The Royal Institution's Christmas Lectures for kids.

We also loved The Big History Project.  Our fave audiobook - Short History of Nearly Everything.

Enjoy!

The James Burke "Connections" documentaries aren't quite in the same mold as Cosmos, but I bet if you liked Cosmos, you'll like Connections.  They are all up on YouTube now.

Thanks, I have this on my list next year but I haven't been able to find them on streaming or at the library.