Menu

Decluttering Challenge Week 2

MomtoCandJ

My challenge has been..I am taking a trash bag around and just filling it up. I have a box for charity too so if something looks too good, it goes in to that box. But most is getting thrown. I wish I had a place to send all these crayons. As it stands, they are going to the trash. Too many crayons.

OH, I missed week one, I'm feeling better today so I'm on a mission. I did take care of Christmas stuff when putting it up, I got rid of at least half (of my already meager staff). Today I cleared out dd's room, there was a large black trash bag, white kitchen bag and a basket full of books- and they don't even have a lot compared by American standards. Not sure where I'm going next....

Ok I'm back in my house after the plumbing job has been completed so I will join in.  This week I will tackle the upstairs hallway closet.  Since the 2 upstairs bathrooms have been in disarray due to plumbing issues and remodeling this closet has been the storage for all things bathroom related.  Most of the stuff actually belongs in the bathrooms themselves. Since the bathrooms are back together I can start tackling this closet.  Top of the list for tomorrow will be wiping down the inside of the vanity and the medicine cabinet in my bathroom and transferring our bathroom stuff into our bathroom.  I'll keep a box next to me so I can trash anything expired or unneeded. 

I'm loosely following the 365/52 Declutter challenge. Last week I cleaned out the pantry, and today the silverware drawer. In addition, I'm slowly going through the rest of the house. I already have my donation center set up.

what is the 365/52 declutter challenge? 

Well, I've felt awful this week but had some energy in spurts and am currently highly motivated to declutter. I went through my closet, again, I swear I just did that, I find it helps me to make several passes over things, I didn't do a final count but I would think I'm very close to meeting the 33 challenge now. I also cleaned out both bathroom cabinets, I entirely emptied one- getting rid of stuff or putting it someplace else, as my organization was a bit lacking and I want to just have a mirror there. I also hit a junk drawer in my bedroom and a craft drawer, neither very big but at least its something. 

Still on my list:

liviing room bookshelf

kitchen cabinets (dreading!)

pantry (recently did both the kitchen and pantry but I need to be much more brutal!!!)

downstairs:

4 overly full bookshelves

storage closet- another eek- mostly I'll be organizing this for now- I did a purge on the clothes not that long ago. I want to tackle my pics but I'm waiting until other things are finished before dragging out that project- I also have a stack of things I'd like to sell- I might just try to take it to a consignment shop, that would be the easiest way to get rid of that much and whatever they don't want I could just give away

Bedrooms are good now, I didn't go through dh's clothes but it isn't my place and as long as they fit where they go we're good. Living room is good, not much storage there but I went through the games and magazine/book baskets and recycled a ton. 

It is coming along, then we can start doing some sprucing up with the paint we've had around here for ages.

I have to wait until pay day to finish my cabinets. I want some pan and lid organizers and we are in desperate need of new baking pans, I would get them now but my local Walsfart doesn't have any organizers. If I wait until Wednesday, I can order from Amazon and actually get what I need/want. Good thing there are like a good 10 weeks of this challenge that doesn't apply to my house :) I can do our taxes the 20th and once we get our refund we will be redoing the floors in the kitchen, living room and hall, painting walls, getting a new range, painting the cabinets in kitchen and bathroom, replacing cabinet knobs and possibly a dishwasher 😀

I'm in! So far this New Year has seen me declutter the following- 

got rid of ratty bakeware-need new muffin pans. I will shop for those today

decluttered sheets and pillow cases. Two sets of good sheets and pillowcases is plenty

got rid of some books. Much more work needs to be done with this.

got rid of some clothing

This year I am all about simplifying, decluttering, and saving money/mindful spending.

We are still making forward progress. I had my own plan of tackling certain surfaces in our house this month and so far they have all been conquered! It's been interesting to notice which ones start slipping after only a couple days and which ones stay clean as long as major junk doesn't get dumped on them. I've been trying to follow some of the 52/365 challenge too, but some of those areas are tricky because we have so little storage space. I'm trying to eat down the food in our pantry since there are some old things in there taking up space that aren't in our regular menu rotation. I'm always surprised by how much food we have in this tiny kitchen.

I've also been working on the room some of my younger kids sleep in. Every couple weeks since around Thanksgiving I have spent an afternoon putting their room back in order. In the beginning I was filling a contractor sized garbage bag with trash and broken toys and odds and ends. Then we got down to three or four grocery bags of trash each time. BUT, today. Today they were able to put the room in order by themselves for me to vacuum. I may die of shock, but I will die happy!