Menu

Help Me for the Millionth Time (College Major Related)

Hunter's Moon

I've been wavering on my major choice for years. I'm curious what you all think the best option would be in my situation.

I just graduated from CC with my Associate's in General Studies. I planned on attending American Public University System (an accredited online college associated with the Military University) for English or some other such degree.

Now, I'm wondering though if I should wait until the Fall to attend an on-campus state U for a Biology or other such degree.

For years I wanted to be a Geneticist (PhD, not MD). I changed it to Occupational Therapist but then decided that wasn't for me. Life got in the way: I got married, could no longer go away to a 4-year, etc.

I am a writer by trade, but I'm now seriously considering Genetics again. In my shoes, would you:

1. Get the English degree from the online college. This option begins in Feb or March (they start monthly), and I wouldn't need to begin paying loans until I graduated with my Bachelor's.

OR

2. Wait until Fall, study while waiting, and start a Science program at a State U. This option means I would need to start paying back my previous loans in June, but payments would stop again in September when school started back up.

What questions should I be asking myself? What should I further consider?

Thanks!

There are really two considerations here.

Find something you like and can see yourself spending a lot of time doing.

Find something that will pay the bills.

That said, map out what specific career settings each path can lead to. Try to envision specific job settings. Put it all down in black and white. Post those paths clearly where you can see them and mull over them.

I would consider time needed for the degree(s), age at time of graduation, and number of years to earn a good income with that degree.

For instance, if you are 26 and will study for 8-10 years to earn the PhD in Genetics that will put you at 36 at graduation.  That gives you a decent amount of time to find a job and move up the pay scale.  However, if you are 42 and won't graduate until you are in your early 50's, the time available for earning potential (your ROI) is decreased. 

I assume by your siggy that you are very young and have plenty of time ahead of you.

Another thing I would consider is desire for a family.  If you know you want to begin a family in 5-6 years and would prefer to stay home, then considering a PhD might not be feasible.  Will you have family support to help with the children while you study?  Is your husband willing to assume the chores associated with childrearing while you are at school?  Is his job flexible enough to work second shift/nights and be home with the children during the day while you are at school?

I would also ask which one would make me happier?  If you complete the English degree are you going to wonder "What if I had...?" Will you yearn for a lab coat and a microscope?

Thanks for the tips and ideas for things to consider.

Assuming I start in the Fall of 2015 and graduate in the May of 2017, I will be 23. It *may* take another semester if I go for Biology, just to meet University requirements and such, so I'll say newly-24.

After a bit of research, it seems as if an M.Sc. may be a better option for me. We do plan to have a family, and I would like to homeschool or at least afterschool.

Considering I don't want to teach or lead a research team, a PhD would just overqualify me for positions I'd be happy taking.

I think I will sit down this coming week and do a pros/cons list.

I enjoy what I do *for now*, but idk if I can see myself doing it forever. And while an English degree wouldn't limit me to just what I do now, it wouldn't open me up to as many opportunities as a Biology or other Science degree would.

Thanks! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

Since you mentioned Biology, how about Nursing?  I'm suggesting that because, hopefully, it would only take you 3 - 4 years more to earn that degree, and then you would have access to a good-paying field that is in demand everywhere.  I have several friends that are nurses, and I envy how easy it is for them to work part-time while they raise their children.

The thing with a Biology degree is that you really do need to get a PhD and probably do several years of post-doctoral work if you wanted to head a research lab.  With a BS degree, you might be able to get a job as a lab technician, but there probably wouldn't be much hope for advancement, and I don't know how easy it would be to work part-time in that field.

Best wishes to you whatever you choose to do!

Brenda

Is there a career center at the State U that you can make an appt with to see where their grads are really going - what sort of jobs they are getting with X major?  If so, that could be a helpful (free) stop.  There may be things you'd enjoy that you aren't even thinking about (yet).

Thanks for the tips and ideas for things to consider.

Assuming I start in the Fall of 2015 and graduate in the May of 2017, I will be 23. It *may* take another semester if I go for Biology, just to meet University requirements and such, so I'll say newly-24.

After a bit of research, it seems as if an M.Sc. may be a better option for me. We do plan to have a family, and I would like to homeschool or at least afterschool.

Considering I don't want to teach or lead a research team, a PhD would just overqualify me for positions I'd be happy taking.

I think I will sit down this coming week and do a pros/cons list.

I enjoy what I do *for now*, but idk if I can see myself doing it forever. And while an English degree wouldn't limit me to just what I do now, it wouldn't open me up to as many opportunities as a Biology or other Science degree would.

Thanks! Feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

Since you say that you want to have a family and homeschool at some point.  Let me say that people who ca teach high school science are few and far between.  There are lots of places to find people who teach English, writing, math, history but science not so much.  Once people find out I majored in chemistry, they started outright asking if I would hold a class and could their child be in it.

I can't multi-quote on my phone, sorry!

@Brenda - I really wish Nursing was a fit for me, because I see the same things you do in the Nursing field. Ability to work part-time, work hours that fit with family life, etc. I'm just very much an introvert and really don't want to work directly with the public.

@Vida - I have, which just adds more pros to the Science major column LOL

@Creekland - I was trying to research the outcome of their students but not having much luck. That's a good idea to make an appt with them, thanks!

@momofkhm - I'm not teaching material. I'd much rather work in a lab or on a research team, but that is a good point to make.

My decision is further complicated due to money, transportation, etc. Two state colleges require an hour bus ride, each way. So that'd be two hours I couldn't be earning money or getting much schoolwork done. There is a private college in the area that has an excellent science dept, but their costs are 4x more than the two state Us.

At the online college, I get a decent refund that can be used for living expenses and I don't have to travel. They offer a decent number of majors, but some I wouldn't feel comfortable earning online (Env. Sci., Life Sci., etc.).

I am considering changing my major from English to something else they offer and minoring in English instead. That way I'd have a specialized niche I could write for.

My decision is further complicated due to money, transportation, etc. Two state colleges require an hour bus ride, each way. So that'd be two hours I couldn't be earning money or getting much schoolwork done. There is a private college in the area that has an excellent science dept, but their costs are 4x more than the two state Us.

Then your next appt to make is with the private college to see what, if any, affordable options they might have.  Surprisingly enough, private colleges can be as or less expensive than public counterparts due to financial aid options.  It's not always true, of course, but is worth checking out rather than just looking at their sticker price.

Two thoughts:

Have you considered being a genetic counselor? It's a masters degree. It might be more interaction with the public than you would prefer, but it is one on one interaction in an office setting, which could be easier for an introvert.

What made you pick APUS? I'm glad it's accredited, but it's still for-profit which raises alarms for me. With something like English I would think you would have lots of options. Just one example, the University of London International program, which is distance learning, has an entire English BA for £5,650, or about $8,500. APUS charges $250 a unit, and assuming you still need 60 units, is $15,000. I think a degree from the University of London would be far more respected. Just want to make sure you've considered all your options.

Multi-Quote is not working, so here goes: 

@creekland - I spoke with an advisor over the phone. As of now, I need to complete the FAFSA and application before they can give me much information. I just need to wait for my darned W2 to come in the mail. 

@Lawyer&Mom - I have considered genetic counseling. It was my first career goal in High School. As of now, I'm not entirely sure that it's right for me, but something I'll further look into, or at least keep my options open for. I did previously attend APUS and I really liked the level of depth and instruction coming from the course and the professors, but you're right. I'm not sure how for-profits will look to future potential employers. 

@Teachin'Mine - Thanks! It took three full years, but I finally got it done :) 

@momofkhm - I'm keeping it in mind for this very reason. It'd be nice to know I had a backup plan for the future if I need it. 

@Brenda - I really wish Nursing was a fit for me, because I see the same things you do in the Nursing field. Ability to work part-time, work hours that fit with family life, etc. I'm just very much an introvert and really don't want to work directly with the public.

If nursing calls to you other than the working with the public aspect, don't write it off as a possibility. I'm very much a shy, socially awkward introvert, and have made a working-with-the-public nursing job work for me. You learn to manage/fake it, and that aspect of the job is honestly not particularly stressful for me anymore. I'm still an introvert. It's kind of funny - I spend most of my time at work or around family, and my introversion tends to catch me by surprise when I end up in a situation where it becomes an issue.

There are also career options in nursing that involve less public contact. However, it's good to assume that you'll end up in some form of bedside nursing for at least a while. I've found Long Term Care to be a good match - it's not a constant stream of new faces.

I would not encourage people to go into nursing if it doesn't actually fit their interests and goals. The flexibility and the level of pay for amount of education is nice, but doesn't necessarily outweigh the physically and emotionally stress. But if it does fit your goals, please don't let being an introvert stand in your way.

I did find a few alternative options—online schools that are nonprofit brick and mortar schools. Arizona State, Colorado State, Univ. of Mass., etc. 

But at this point, I'm really leaning towards Science while at the same time knowing I wouldn't be able to work like I am while attending college. I do content writer which takes a significant amount of time and is draining—after researching for articles I need to write, I'll then need to research for schoolwork, attend classes, travel, etc. 

So the responsible part of me wants to go with an online option in English, Communications, or the like, and another part wants to go with Science. 

Does the job you currently have require a degree to continue? If you are this unsure about your degree but are gainfully employed now, it might be worthwhile to think about it for another year rather than end up with only one year left on a degree you don't think you can do.