Menu

Some people should never be parents (trigger warning)

creekland

"A 5-year-old girl died after being thrown from a bridge into Tampa Bay early Thursday and her father is facing first-degree murder charges, St. Petersburg police say."

Sadly, her body was found by students from my youngest's school.  I can only imagine what finding her body (vs her alive) must feel like.  I shudder.  It makes me want to hug my kids and never let them go.

"another search crew from the Eckerd College Search and Rescue found Phoebe."

And my title stands... I wish people like this could be the infertile ones.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/08/5-year-old-dies-after-being-thrown-from-bridge-florida-police-say/?intcmp=latestnews

(Yes, it's Fox, but I heard it on the radio first - then found more details there.)

A history of domestic violence on record! Why do our courts let men like this have visitation rights, let alone custody!?!

Poor baby girl!

Our legal system gives a lot of weight to the rights of parents, even when those parents have actual convictions of family violence, to say nothing of merely a DV restraining order. We don't give as much weight to the rights of kids to be away from abusive people. There is a fundamental disconnect in our thinking about DV as well, where a person can be arrested for assaulting their spouse but that is not seen as a crime against the children, who saw it all unfold, at all.

A history of domestic violence on record!  Why do our courts let men like this have visitation rights, let alone custody!?!

Poor baby girl!  

I would die for my kids.  If I could save myself, but not them, I would die with them.  I know I'm a mama, but hubby feels the exact same way and would die for them too.

I would die for other people's kids too.  If the worst happened at school with the "new normal"  :glare: I'd either be taking out the idiot or die trying to do so or trying to protect as many as I could.

I simply can't comprehend the mindset of parents who can do these things - anyone really - but especially parents.

And I feel for those who have to witness and deal with it all afterward.

I get nostalgic when mine leave.

Our legal system gives a lot of weight to the rights of parents, even when those parents have actual convictions of family violence, to say nothing of merely a DV restraining order. We don't give as much weight to the rights of kids to be away from abusive people. There is a fundamental disconnect in our thinking about DV as well, where a person can be arrested for assaulting their spouse but that is not seen as a crime against the children, who saw it all unfold, at all.

Our system phrases it as the rights of the child to be involved in the lives of both their parents, but it amounts to the same thing.

Our system phrases it as the rights of the child to be involved in the lives of both their parents, but it amounts to the same thing.

Ours too. It is of course true in that children should never be kept away for other than serious reasons but there seems to be a rule of idealism over reality. We do have supervised access but it can be hard for the other parent to get the courts to agree.

I have noticed too that women are pressured so much to not keep kids (especially boys) from their father's that they find it hard to object. I have heard of some crazy situations. One of my cousins exes let's their early teenage son drink and smoke dope and then they go out cruising in his car, a women I know has an ex who refuses to acknowledge the kid is autistic and still another smokes and let's his friends smoke inside which gives the kid asthma.

Ours too. It is of course true in that children should never be kept away for other than serious reasons but there seems to be a rule of idealism over reality. We do have supervised access but it can be hard for the other parent to get the courts to agree.

I have noticed too that women are pressured so much to not keep kids (especially boys) from their father's that they find it hard to object. I have heard of some crazy situations. One of my cousins exes let's their early teenage son drink and smoke dope and then they go out cruising in his car, a women I know has an ex who refuses to acknowledge the kid is autistic and still another smokes and let's his friends smoke inside which gives the kid asthma.

You've got to wonder what counts as serious, don't you? :ack2: