Menu

Grammar/LA that isn't teacher intensive

??

I'm looking for something that I can hand to 10 yo DD.  I'm available for some help, but not sitting next to her for the while lesson.   She is extremely bright, a strong reader, and language-oriented.

I've been looking at CLE language arts, Rod and Staff English, and Learning Language Arts Through Literature.  LLATL appeals to me the most, but I'm not sure how teacher intensive it is.  CLE is probably the least teacher intensive, and I'm not sure about R&S.  Another option I've thought about is getting her the Voyages in English textbook.  

I'm also open to other suggestions. 

Growing with Grammar is the least teacher intensive grammar curriculum that I have used. I have also used CLE language arts, Rod and Staff English, and Learning Language Arts Through Literature. Of the three LLATL is the most teacher intensive. For me R&S and CLE were about equal. The teacher intensive part of CLE is simply correcting the work. The way I used R&S was very independent. I had my kids read the lesson, do a couple of written exercises and then correct it themselves. We didn't do any of the oral exercises. The teacher intensive part of R&S for me was figuring out which lessons and exercises to assign. My kids didn't need a lot of the review so we ended up skipping at least 1/4th of each book.

Susan in TX

If she is very bright, a strong reader, and language-oriented, I would advise against LLATL.  

It is...mediocre, IMO.  Especially for kids that are strong readers.  She will likely find the grade-level reading assignments to be quite boring.  Mine do and only one of them is a particularly strong reader.  

It doesn't have to be teacher-intensive, however.  You can pretty much hand them the student book, and give them the teacher's guide, since that's pretty much written to the student anyways. At least in Yellow level it is.  

Gotta say that Grammar Revolution has led to better retention than anything else over the years. I got it at a reduced price from HSBC. DD (also 10) watches the videos on her own, I meet up to do a quick review with her and then she does the diagramming practice on her own and then we discuss any struggles she had. We're on lesson 24, and it's seriously been one of our best decisions. 

(We still love MCT for the beauty of language but she had no retention. We hated FLL, GWG, Hake, and everything else we've tried for grammar...)

I combine it with Drawing Sentences for additional diagramming practice.

I have used the first two levels of CLE, and we (including DD7) love it. It is not very teacher-intensive, and it is excellent. It is basically the same as R&S, only in workbook format. So, whichever format your daughter prefers. With R&S, the student writes their answers on separate paper. With CLE the student writes the answers right in the workbook. You'll need to keep up with correcting her work, and may have to be around to explain something once in a while, but that's it. My 2nd grader can do it nearly independently.

Gotta say that Grammar Revolution has led to better retention than anything else over the years. I got it at a reduced price from HSBC. DD (also 10) watches the videos on her own, I meet up to do a quick review with her and then she does the diagramming practice on her own and then we discuss any struggles she had. We're on lesson 24, and it's seriously been one of our best decisions. 

(We still love MCT for the beauty of language but she had no retention. We hated FLL, GWG, Hake, and everything else we've tried for grammar...)

I combine it with Drawing Sentences for additional diagramming practice.

OK, I'm totally hesitant about using another video-based program with DD, but I just looked at the site and it looks interesting. I like the author's personality :) I'm not clear on HOW the program works, though.  Is there a video for each lesson? Is there somewhere I can watch a sample lesson? 

??

I'm looking for something that I can hand to 10 yo DD.  I'm available for some help, but not sitting next to her for the while lesson.   She is extremely bright, a strong reader, and language-oriented.

I've been looking at CLE language arts, Rod and Staff English, and Learning Language Arts Through Literature.  LLATL appeals to me the most, but I'm not sure how teacher intensive it is.  CLE is probably the least teacher intensive, and I'm not sure about R&S.  Another option I've thought about is getting her the Voyages in English textbook.  

I'm also open to other suggestions. 

If you like textbook-based materials, R&S is excellent; the English series was written specifically to allow children to work independently. The very excellent teacher manual does have scripted oral lessons, but those are completely optional, as they only rephrase exactly what is in the student text (they do add some warm fuzzy face time, but they are truly optional). You'd want to look over each lesson to see how much you want her to do, and so you know where she's going, and then let her go (there is a brief oral drill in some lessons, which would take less than five minutes). IMHO, having to write on actual paper with an actual pencil (or pen, especially a fountain pen) is important, especially for English.

LLATL has been popular for many years, but I couldn't bring myself to use it. It didn't appeal to me at all, but people whose dc used it all the way through say their dc had good English skills, so there you go.

OK, I'm totally hesitant about using another video-based program with DD, but I just looked at the site and it looks interesting. I like the author's personality :) I'm not clear on HOW the program works, though. Is there a video for each lesson? Is there somewhere I can watch a sample lesson?

I was hesitant too and pretty much just took the chance because it was a great price on HSBC. The videos are brief. For most lessons she has a brief video that explains the grammatical concept and then one that explains how to diagram it. Each lessons builds on previous ones. They aren't high production quality. They remind me of the quality of the DIY vloggers that DD loves which is probably why she likes it. But her information is accurate and succinct. Each lesson includes about 5 practice lessons (in a PDF), and then every so often there is a review lesson with additional practice. If DD needs more practice, I pull them out of Drawing Sentences.

Why not try Fix-It Grammar by IEW?  We're using it and DD loves it.  She can read the lesson, do the sentences, and check it herself.  She has learned more with this simple curriculum with Latin than all the previous years of grammar.  It's short, sweet, targeted, and comprehensive.  DD does two complete lessons in one week. 

Why not try Fix-It Grammar by IEW?  We're using it and DD loves it.  She can read the lesson, do the sentences, and check it herself.  She has learned more with this simple curriculum with Latin than all the previous years of grammar.  It's short, sweet, targeted, and comprehensive.  DD does two complete lessons in one week. 

How have I not seen this program before?  We might just have a winner.