Menu

Another question about bras for the sensory-sensitive

ILiveInFlipFlops

Oldest DD wants more coverage in front--she doesn't like the "headlights on," IYKWIM. Up to now she's been wearing these, so of course they barely feel like bras. These have been all that she could stand to wear. 

Today I went to Target and bought her a few bras to try on. No underwires, no lace, adjustable closures--pretty much anything I could find that was soft and gentle but still had a firm cup. She tried them on and ended up in the fetal position on her floor *sigh* She's slim, but not skinny, so I brought her 36As. She claims the band is so tight as to be painful (though it doesn't look to me like it's digging in). She dreads the idea of going to someplace like Macy's and having to try on bra after bra to find something that works. (Don't we all?)

So can anyone suggest a bra that's very gently constructed yet still has some padding/structure in the cup? She's too big for girls' sizes anymore--she's 5'6" and wearing a women's medium/large in clothing. She may be a B cup now. She would rather die than go for a proper fitting at this point; I had to strong-arm her to let me in her room so I could see her in one of the bras so I could figure out what might be bothering her. She MIGHT let me measure her for band size--I'll have to see.

Any advice is welcome.

Walmart has bras just like the one you linked BUT they have removable pads in them that prevent the issue she's having :). I'm a 36A/B and wear them most the time. They are $5 each and come in tons of colors plus white/black/nude. They are No Boundaries (Walmart) brand I believe and usually on an endcap.

Padded seamless bras exist. One at Gap: http://m.gap.com/product.html?dn=gp153591022&dv=1&kwid=1&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gap.com%2Fproducts%2Fseamless-padded-pullover-bra-P153591.jsp&locale=en_US&sdReferer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&pid=153591022&sem=false&vid=1

Can you walk her through measuring herself? Or do it over a swimsuit? It won't be as accurate, but close enough!

The Genie bra might work.  They are just a stretchy pull over the head type but with removable padding in the front to prevent the headlights.  Not super supportive but likely enough for a teen (but not so much for a saggy 40s woman  :coolgleamA: )  Walmart has them and you can find them on line as well.

WONDERFUL!!!! You guys are the best! So far, the only padded seamless bras I'd seen were in girls' sections. I'll try the two suggested and keep searching for better quality ones if I have to. I did talk to her about measuring and she reluctantly agreed to let me do it as soon as I find the measuring tape. 

Thank you!

Walmart has bras just like the one you linked BUT they have removable pads in them that prevent the issue she's having :). I'm a 36A/B and wear them most the time. They are $5 each and come in tons of colors plus white/black/nude. They are No Boundaries (Walmart) brand I believe and usually on an endcap.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest or "genie bras" also like you linked more expensive but hold up really well and very comfortable, not sure if they come in her size.

Bought my dd a couple padded, seamless bras at Kohls.  She's sensory defensive as well, and found these very comfortable.  

ETA: They're "Barely There" brand, ComfortFlex Fit.  There are many varieties of styles (lightly lined, padded, wire-free, wired, concealing, reversible, etc), as well as many pretty colors (not too bold, but nude, light grey, light pink).  Their sizes are XS, S, M, L, XL, so you don't have to do all the measuring and stuff.  I'd recommend them, if you have a Kohl's nearby.