Menu

Easy, Light on Experiments Science Curriculum, possible?

Jasperstone

We have had a full-on year last year, and I don't think it's going to be much easier in the first half of the new one......... :crying:

So, I'm after a self directed science workbook, or text. Is that possible?

My dd is 12 (with little science knowledge) and ds is nearly 10. Any suggestions?

How about a set of Horrible Science books? Maybe add some documentaries and extra books on topics they're more interested in?

Search for some living book science threads here and you'll probably gets loads of great ideas. Using Google with "site:forums.welltrainedmind.com" in the search field generally works better.

My 11 year old just finished level 1 of SYRWTL Science from Galore Park.

No experiments. No demonstrations. No supplies to gather.

One thin textbook. One thin answer key. One notebook to write answers to exercises.

DD used it independently. I just checked her answers with the answer key.

It is thin on content, even for a survey course, but the questions really made her think.

One thin textbook. One thin answer key. One notebook to write answers to exercises.

It is thin on content, even for a survey course, but the questions really made her think.

I used one of those too.  I liked it and you are right very low frills.  My only complaint is that it is quite expensive for what one gets.

What does SYRWTL stand for?

Is this the one?

http://www.bookdepository.com/So-You-Really-Want-Learn-Science-Book-1-Pickering/9781902984216

Does anyone know where to find samples, or a peek into the book?

Harcourt Science textbooks (we purchase ours from Kolbe Academy). You can probably also find them on Amazon.

This is what I'm using for my oldest this year.  There is one investigation scheduled for each chapter but you don't have to do them.  My dd likes "experiments" so I add them in.  I am impressed by the level of information she is getting in the 6th grade text.  She uses the text independently.

Evan Moore daily science?

Even though EM Daily Science would seem to be self-directed, it actually requires quite a bit of teacher preparation (gathering materials for the hands-on) and teacher-directed teaching. At least, that has been our experience with it. HTH.

I haven't used BJU Science, but if I needed to hand my student a textbook & workbook, I would take a closer look at it. I think it would be better than nothing, but again, we haven't used it:

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_Science____559359

Sometimes, a shortcut to actually doing the hands-on work is to look up the experiment in question on the internet, find a video of it being done, and have your student watch that. This isn't the best, of course, but it's perhaps better than skipping the hands-on portion entirely, and it's usually easier and less time-consuming than gathering all the materials.

If it's possible to subscribe to The Happy Scientist, you could have your students work through his study units and watch all the videos that are available.

The other thought I had is that you have a twelve year old, who surely is able to gather most of the materials needed for hands-on work, if you choose a course that utilizes easy-to-find things. Could you give your students a list at the beginning of the year, and send them on a treasure hunt to fill a bin with the needed items? Perhaps your oldest could be the "teacher" and set up and do most of the hands-on work, if the course you choose has any of those. HTH.

I haven't heard of him. I'm in Australia. :-)

As already said it's all downloads.  He is running a half price sale starting I believe on the 11th of this month.

I've used 2 of his e-books.  There are experiments, but they are all pretty basic.  A lot of the times I skip them.  If it were up to me I'd skip them all, but my kids do like doing stuff like that so I try to do them once in awhile.

They are downloadable, right?

I wish. Both the book and answer key for SYRWTL are paperback.

At least you can get free worldwide shipping from the Book Depository.

McQ science is the science program mentioned in this thread that is downloadable.

For what it's worth, McQ didn't work as well for my family as SYRWTL.

I found the questions in SYRWTL Science to be far superior than the McQ worksheets.

I wish. Both the book and answer key for SYRWTL are paperback.

At least you can get free worldwide shipping from the Book Depository.

McQ science is the science program mentioned in this thread that is downloadable.

For what it's worth, McQ didn't work as well for my family as SYRWTL.

I found the questions in SYRWTL Science to be far superior than the McQ worksheets.

Weird, as they say that on the description that answers are downloadable etc. ...

Product description

Junior Science Book 2 is suitable for pupils aged 8+ (Year 4 upwards) and covers habitats, plants, solids, liquids and gases, electrical circuits, friction and more. Rigorous exercises and scientific activities throughout are certain to challenge and engage your young scientists. Together with books 1 and 3 this book is ideal to underpin a course of study leading to Common Entrance and entrance exams at 11+. - Packed with challenging exercises and practical activities to stimulate and enthuse young scientists - 'Did you know?' boxes encourage an active interest in science and the world around us - Rigorous extension questions will stretch and challenge the most able - Answers for this book are available as a free download.

Grrrrr........ it must be only the junior ones that are!

I noticed Evolution mentioned in the sample pages....I'm okay with it lightly being in there. As my dc know about the theory etc... But if it's heavily promoted in the text, then it wouldn't suit.

So, can someone remember how much of it is taught in there? Thanx!