Menu

Vegans - would you eat this?

MamaSheep

(Cheese made with milk proteins grown in yeast that have been modified with DNA from mammals.) 

I'm really, truly not trying to start anything hostile, it's just that my cousin and I, neither of whom are remotely Vegan, have a difference of opinion on the subject, and I thought I'd see if I could get input from an actual Vegan. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/milk-free-cheese-made-using-human-dna-strands/ar-AA2QyMS

Meh...I might, but then again probably not. It's one of those things I thought I'd miss more than I actually do.

I know dh would if it actually tasted like cheese. He's one of those who would probably go full-time vegan were it not for the cheese even though he's probably lactose intolerant. I can definitely see where it might appeal to a broader range of people who have allergies that eliminate cheese, but if they're allergic to casein would this even be an option?

The Vegan RD had a post on it awhile back if you're looking for a definite yes perspective - http://www.theveganrd.com/2014/09/real-vegan-cheese-and-real-nutrition-science.html

Meh...I might, but then again probably not. It's one of those things I thought I'd miss more than I actually do.

I know dh would if it actually tasted like cheese. He's one of those who would probably go full-time vegan were it not for the cheese even though he's probably lactose intolerant. I can definitely see where it might appeal to a broader range of people who have allergies that eliminate cheese, but if they're allergic to casein would this even be an option?

The Vegan RD had a post on it awhile back if you're looking for a definite yes perspective - http://www.theveganrd.com/2014/09/real-vegan-cheese-and-real-nutrition-science.html

Thanks for the link. It was interesting. I have to admit I got a little confused when this one said that that it would be not only animal-free but also GMO-free, because I thought the other link explained that animal DNA was being used to genetically modify the yeast. But in honesty, I have to also admit that I read quickly, but not deeply, because I'm fitting it into snippets of time between other things, so maybe there's something I missed. Anyway, I thought it was interesting. :)

Well, I'm not vegan and that cheese sounds gross... :ack2:

Haha! Yeah, I thought the same thing. But then, I've known vegans who were willing to eat all sorts of things that I think are gross. Okra for instance. Shudder. So I figured my own tastes weren't a good guide for whether vegans would be willing to eat it. ;) 

Haha! Yeah, I thought the same thing. But then, I've known vegans who were willing to eat all sorts of things that I think are gross. Okra for instance. Shudder. So I figured my own tastes weren't a good guide for whether vegans would be willing to eat it. ;)

Well now, okra is just gross.

I also think most vegan cheese is disgusting so I disagree with the idea that there are so many options that another is not necessary. About the only one I can stand is Daiya pepper jack and only if it's inside something and barely melted. The rest is just weird and all of it is abominable if it's put on a pizza and used like one might dairy cheese. Ditto for anything masquerading as vegan "sour cream" or "cream cheese." :shudder:

Cashew queso, on the other hand is very tasty.

But many things sound like weird lab experiments.

Setting aside what I consider the inherent grossness of the abbatoir, consider the marshmallow, which Is prepared by mixing a bunch of ingredients, including gelatin. Commercial gelatin in NA is made primarily from pig skins. Grind pig skins, boil, bathe in strong acid or base, rinse, repeat. I mean, what part of that sounds appetizing if you think of the process? And yet, rice crispie squares are gobbled up greedily all over the nation....

But many things sound like weird lab experiments.

Setting aside what I consider the inherent grossness of the abbatoir, consider the marshmallow, which Is prepared by mixing a bunch of ingredients, including gelatin. Commercial gelatin in NA is made primarily from pig skins. Grind pig skins, boil, bathe in strong acid or base, rinse, repeat. I mean, what part of that sounds appetizing if you think of the process? And yet, rice crispie squares are gobbled up greedily all over the nation....

I actually thought about that after I posted it.  That probably if certain things I ate were described exactly I'd be equally icked out.