Menu

Do you have something above your washer/dryer?

DawnM

We inevitably lose clothes behind our washer/dryer.  I am constantly putting stuff up there and it falls behind.

I really don't want a laminate countertop up there, but those things that are made to go up there (what are they called?) that are rubberized and have a lip in the back, are pricey.

What do you have that you like and works?

Mr. Ellie installed a shelf right above the washer and dryer, a plain ol' wooden shelf on L brackets. It's only an inch-ish above the top/back of the machines, IFYKWIM. There's also a gap of about three feet between them; one of our kitties used to hide behind the dryer when the gardener (yes, we pay someone to cut our grass. Don't judge me, lol.) came with his loud equipment, and she'd knock the vent hose thingie off, and then we'd have to put it back on. Ugh. So Mr. Ellie nailed a piece of plywood between the washer and dryer, on the lip of the shelf, so that it efficiently blocked of the space. It sort of looks as if the washer/dryer are built in.

In our last house, there were cabinets above the washer/dryer, which sat snugly next to each other, and there was room on the shelf to keep smaller baskets for the cloth napkins and whatnot. In this house, the cabinets are taller and are only a few inches above the shelf, such that I really can't keep anything on them, but I still like the way it looks, and nothing can fall behind.

I really don't want a laminate countertop up there, but those things that are made to go up there (what are they called?) that are rubberized and have a lip in the back, are pricey.

There's a thing for that? We've been intending to install a shelf on a hinge for the last... two years or so. If there is a thing maybe I could just buy it and be done. Off to search!

Oh!  Oh!  We just did this.  The laundry room in our new house is smaller (more like a closet really).  I don't iron, so I need a place to smooth out the clothes as they come out of the dryer.  We got a piece of plywood cut to cover both the washer and the dryer.  I covered it with quilt batting and then with flannel fabric (so the clothes would spread nicely).  Then DH put a trim piece against the wall.  The shelf fit on top of that against the wall, and we put little felt feet on the end that sits on top of the front of the washer and dryer. It is very sturdy really but can be removed if we need to.  (Obviously we have front loaders!)

Wa-la!  Really nice, large, folding and ironing space.  Very happy with it.  

I have the cover thingy that sits on top of the washer/dryer.  It fits perfectly and matches, so it looks nice.  It's rubberized, so things don't slip off.  I rarely drop anything behind.  i do tend to pile too much stuff on top, but that's because the w/d sit right next to the garage door, so things just get put there.  I'm glad we got it.  It seemed like a splurge at the time, but it's worth it.

I have the cover thingy that sits on top of the washer/dryer. It fits perfectly and matches, so it looks nice. It's rubberized, so things don't slip off. I rarely drop anything behind. i do tend to pile too much stuff on top, but that's because the w/d sit right next to the garage door, so things just get put there. I'm glad we got it. It seemed like a splurge at the time, but it's worth it.

What does this cover thingy look like? Do you have a pic or a link?