Menu

Have any of you written a "Letter of Recommendation" for your child(ren)?

Is there a particular reason why you need to write this as a parent? Unless someone particularly requests you to do it as a parent, you should pretty much steer clear of writing one for your own kids. It is more likely to have a negative effect than a positive one no matter how balanced you try to write it. 

Hi merylvdm,

It is for applying our son for Early College. The school is wanting me to write a LOR since I am our sons teacher, plus, have two other people write one for him too!😊

Ah - I have never heard of a college wanting one from the parent. I did have to write why we homeschooled and had to provide a list of curriculum for a number of schools for my 3 kids who have gone through the process, but hadn't come across that.

That will be tough ... hopefully someone has had to do it and can give you advice. I guess you need to be as objective as possible. Hard one!

I had to write one when my daughter applied to a high school's magnet program.  The best part was that, since they wanted a LOR from her math, English and science teachers, I got to write two of the three so that they could check both the math and English boxes.  Fortunately, we outsourced science that year.  Yeah, it was stupid, and I tried to get them to take LORs from someone who wasn't me, but the box had to be checked.  I wish I still had the letter, but it went something like, "Student A has been homeschooled since Xth grade.  During that time, she has covered X, Y and Z math [or English] using A, B and C materials.  She has consistently scored in the xth percentile on her math/English tests, or on her standardized tests, which I have always given two [or whatever] grade-levels ahead of her chronological age.  [i attached copies of the TOCs for her math texts to the LOR to show that we were using mainstream math programs--this was a STEM magnet.]  Her primary strengths are. . ..  Her weaknesses are. . ..  She will benefit from your program because [insert something that makes them look good--I can no longer challenge her at home, for example--they'll love that].  

The program coordinator did tell me that parent LORs tend to be harsher than teacher LORs, so I wouldn't necessarily aim for brutal honesty.  Although I thought it was silly, I did end up enjoying writing mine.  It was kind of nice to be told to brag about my kid.  

I had to write one this year for my daughter's early decision "reach for the starts university." We will know in February if she has been accepted. The Home-school counselor wanted the LOR from me because I was the primary teacher, counselor, principal,etc for my daughter. I also sent them a Home-school Profile that included the reasons why we home-school and course descriptions, etc. We had two other teachers who know my daughter well write LOR , and  and the "counselor" from our umbrella school (who doesn't know my daughter) wrote the counselor LOR for the Common App. (here in TN we are considered a Private School).

"Plansme" gave you good advise, if you wan to see mine just PM me and I will send you a copy.

My husband and I wrote ones for our son who hopes to attend a selective boarding high school.  It went much like plansrme said. One was written about his religious education and one for secular education.  We tried (and succeeded) in talking about different positive and negative qualities he has.  Good luck!

Yes, I wrote a letter of recommendation to each of the colleges to which my daughter applied.

The approach I took was to compile a list of various character traits. I asked my husband to look it over and decide which characteristics best described our daughter. I did the same myself. Once I had that list of traits, I tried to think of anecdotes and experiences from my daughter's life that showed them. That was the basis of my counselor letter. Some of the traits I ended up ignoring simply because the letter was getting too long.

I also included one negative feature in the letter. I thought this was important in terms of balance. But I also tried to give it a positive spin.

If you'd care to see the list of character traits I compiled, send me a personal message with your email address, and I'll send it along.

Good luck with your writing!

Regards,
Kareni

Sending out a "Big Thank You" and "Big Hugs" too, to paintmisha, Kareni, and the rest of you, you all have been such a great big help to me. Again, thanks! I just love this group and the wonderful homeschool parents here. I appreciate you all so much. Wishing each and everyone of you a wonderful and safe New Year!😊