Menu

Favorite audiobooks for YOU??

ajfries

After getting some really amazing recommendations on my Historical Fiction thread (just finished The Book Thief--incredible.) I thought I'd ask the hive for audio book recommendations.  I just signed up for audible so I've got a credit burning a hole in my pocket :)

I'm looking for something kind of light that I can listen to while doing housework. Maybe chick lit or comedy or just a good ol' fiction story. Again, I just finished The Book Thief so I don't need anything that brings me to my knees :)  Just straightforward entertainment.

The Flavia de Luce books!  (Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is the first one.)  

I also REALLY enjoyed Dracula by Bram Stoker and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. (If you like Dracula/vampire stories)  And if you haven't read/listened to the original Dracula be prepared to be surprised by what a truly good book it is.

My newest pick in murder mystery books is Still Life by Louise Penny.

I love the Amelia Peabody series (Author Elizabeth Peters) read by Barbara Rosenblat. She is the only reader I know who does all the voices distinctly different and after listening to a few chapters, you will be able to know who is speaking just by the voice. The books are entertaining but Rosenblat makes listening a real treat.

I love the Amelia Peabody series (Author Elizabeth Peters) read by Barbara Rosenblat. She is the only reader I know who does all the voices distinctly different and after listening to a few chapters, you will be able to know who is speaking just by the voice. The books are entertaining but Rosenblat makes listening a real treat.

I love them too. I'm listening to them again now, I'm on book 11 or 12 and the audio wasn't available so I'm reading it. As I'm reading, I can hear Barbara's voices in my head. :D.

I get all my audio books through the library.

I am so glad you posted this! I was thinking about doing these as my next audiobooks (I drive a fair amount alone in the car) and was wondering if they were good. 

I enjoyed the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes mysteries as audiobooks, the series is by Laurie R. King. 

I also love Jim Dale who does Harry Potter, his voices are incredible. 

A couple of audios that I have truly enjoyed recently.  I don't have an audible account, so I don't know if they're available that way.

We Were all Completely Beside Ourselves

Cloud Atlas

Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell

All the Light We Cannot See (this one the narrator isn't the greatest, but the story/prose makes up for it).

Life After Life

True Grit