Menu

Do your children write foreign languages in cursive?

I would like to move my children into writing their foreign languages in cursive. While they both know how to write in cursive they both print when writing in a foreign language. I was thinking of making copywork for them in cursive, as their complaint is they only see the foreign languages in manuscript form and feel it would complicate things to try and write in cursive. My own thought is once they get over the first hump of practicing it, they would write much faster and smoother.

Thoughts?

Yes, they do.

I was thinking of making copywork for them in cursive, as their complaint is they only see the foreign languages in manuscript form and feel it would complicate things to try and write in cursive.

I think that's just an excuse and would call them on it.

Copywork in cursive is a great idea. Since I have to re-present material anyway, I'd be writing it all in cursive; readings, examples, etc.

My children don't write their foreign languages in cursive, but they don't write English in cursive either. Actually I don't think the kid studying Greek could--there's not a cursive version of that alphabet, it there? :D I don't rememebr exactly when I started writing Spanish in cursive, but at least by the beginning of 3rd year I know we were required to turn in a paragraph each Monday and it was in cursive. If you think it will help them write faster and that is their habit in English, I'd start with copywork until they are comfortable composing on their own.

it looks as if you're studying Latin. The Roman alphabet is not in cursive; its letters comprise most of the uppercase letters of our English alphabet.

With my kids (older, now 16 and 14) I didn't concern myself so much with writing Latin in cursive, but with their reading, comprehension, and translations. I think it could be beneficial for younger children, however, but in my mind I have a hard time "seeing" Latin in cursive! But then, again, I haven't done an exhaustive study of writing in Latin throughout the ages! It's certainly possible that Latin was written in cursive, but I'm just not familiar with that. There was the Carolingian miniscule which was used under the reign of Charlemagne and beyond. The letters were rounded and quite beautiful. There were much more elaborate scripts used in scriptoria and on parchments.

With modern foreign languages, writing in cursive may be more beneficial. The cursive script used by many Europeans today is quite different from our American cursive. This is probably the closest replica I can find. The zeros are written like a "null" sign, the 7's are crossed, the 1's look similar to 7's, and the 9's have a more curved bottom "tail".

At any rate, you've come up with a novel idea, but if it were me, personally, I would tend to keep the Latin in manuscript but teach other foreign languages in cursive. Just my .02 worth!

"They both know how to write in cursive," but is it second nature to them? It wasn't always for my dc at age 10, much less 8 to get that smooth, flowing handwriting. It may be just too much to think about to translate AND to write cursive.

Now my dc didn't do Latin at those ages. But 12th grade dd does most of her schoolwork on the computer, so all her Latin is typed. 8th grade dd prints more neatly than she writes cursive, so her work is all printed.

HTH!

I've been enjoying reading this thread as it is something I've never thought of before.

Yes, I believe my oldest dd does write her French in cursive and/or printing. Either way. Just because it can be done.

However, I had to laugh at the thought of my younger dd writing her Japanese in cursive! I don't think it can be done. (?)

I think my youngest should be writing his French in cursive. He knows how, but is slow because I let him do everything in print, once he had learned the cursive. I print. Adults never seem to print French, though, so I want him to switch for that. He could use the copy-work/dictation practice for help learning to write the language, anyway. His spelling is awful, but unlike English, once he gets used to it, he should be able to manage the spelling. I don't care if he prints for English and Latin. I've printed since 4th grade.

-Nan

I taught mine cursive, despite the public school system saying I needn't bother, that they didn't, and other people saying it wasn't important, because my impression of Europe was that everyone used cursive. It is different, but not so much so that I can't read it, as long as the handwriting isn't too bad.

-Nan