Menu

Any other ACT takers tomorrow?

Ds takes it tomorrow. I'm not quite in panic mode yet, he's not stressed and I'm working hard today to not make him stressed. 

He's taking it at my college and I've already showed him the room where he'll take it, which I think will be better than the local high school for him. 

Still, I'm going to be biting my nails a lot tomorrow morning. 

In my experience, the big kids think it's neat that the little kids are testing. There's so much age gap that they're sympathetic, not threatened. Plus, everyone is on edge for themselves, and they don't have much mental energy left to worry about anyone else.

I managed to refrain from any last-minute coaching this morning. DD has some testing experience and does not appreciate parental comments. She took the EXPLORE a few years ago, didn't understand that guessing was a good strategy, and left big chunks of a couple sections blank. Two years later, she wanted to test again, and I explained that she should guess if she didn't know, and apparently put too much emphasis on "this is just for fun, anyhow," because she guessed randomly on any question that she didn't immediately know. This time I explained that a better score would give her more summer camp options. " Oh! I'll actually try to do well, then!"

Fortunately for my sanity, she already has scores high enough for the opportunities she's likely to want to do, and no amount of prep was likely to have gotten her into the most selective stuff, so I didn't feel the need to sell her on taking a practice test or on learning any strategies. Fortunate because she would not have been on board with any of it!

Drop off went well. Dude checking her in gave her a reassuring smile & told her not to be nervous. I wasn't the only mom standing 20 feet back from the check-in table to make sure my kid made it through ok. The other one I saw wasn't allowed to walk in with her son - it looked like he asked her to walk in separately so no one could tell why she was there.  :lol:

I heard two boys discussing guessing strategies on the way in.  :coolgleamA:

My early high school age son took it today.  He said, jokingly, that it was "terrifying to see all these kids with full beards taking it."  ;)

He thinks he did well.  We shall see. 

My son has long hair and full beard.  :lol: Yup, I don't even think about how much older he looks with it, he's still got that baby face underneath all the hair.