Menu

Historical fiction about space exploration?

My sons need to read historical fiction for their next book club meeting.  Browsing the fiction stacks of the children’s fiction area looking for interesting books with a historical fiction label (librarian suggestion) is not going to cut it with ds1.  He professes a dislike of both history and fiction.  

He wants to read about space exploration.  Would you consider the graphic novel, Laika, by Nick Abadzis, to be historical fiction?  Any other suggestions for an almost 9 year old boy?  Reading level is not an issue.  Maturity level is. 

Hmmmm, I personally don't think you will find a title. Historical fiction takes real time periods/events and puts them into a story form. Since space exploration is still really a future reality (we have not physically achieved manned flights beyond orbit or the moon and unmanned exploration is current event), historical fiction is not really a suitable genre for the subject.

Homer Hickam wrote the memoir Rocket Boys, but Googling doesn't turn up any junior versions, sadly. My kids recently read the graphic Albert II the First Monkey in Space. It is short, though. I know there are picture books written by astronauts, but those are probably below your target. Hmmm.

It's not really historical fiction, but a lot of Heinlein's juveniles would effectively be historical science fiction at this point-what the author thought space exploration would look like, writing 50+ years ago. We just found a collection called "Four Frontiers" that is four of the exploration focused juveniles from "Boys Life".

I would consider Laika historical fiction. And I have no problem with graphic novels. But I don't understand the book club. Is this for everyone to read or does every kid read a different book with the same genre/theme? If it's for everyone, will they be okay with a graphic novel? Can he maybe be assigned to choose a different month's selection instead of one he dislikes? If it's just for your ds, I'd give him a pass on this one and let him read that - reading two categories you dislike is tough - but I might push him to expand his reading a little for some future ones.

I can't think of anything that quite fits what you're asking in terms of chapter/middle grades books.

Hmmmm, I personally don't think you will find a title. Historical fiction takes real time periods/events and puts them into a story form. Since space exploration is still really a future reality (we have not physically achieved manned flights beyond orbit or the moon and unmanned exploration is current event), historical fiction is not really a suitable genre for the subject.

The librarian has explained to ds that finding historical fiction about space exploration would be difficult, hence the suggestion that he browse the shelves.  I have found picture books and graphic novels about early space exploration.  Ds doesn't want to talk about a picture book.

I would consider Laika historical fiction. And I have no problem with graphic novels. But I don't understand the book club. Is this for everyone to read or does every kid read a different book with the same genre/theme? If it's for everyone, will they be okay with a graphic novel? Can he maybe be assigned to choose a different month's selection instead of one he dislikes? If it's just for your ds, I'd give him a pass on this one and let him read that - reading two categories you dislike is tough - but I might push him to expand his reading a little for some future ones.

I can't think of anything that quite fits what you're asking in terms of chapter/middle grades books.

The book club is more of a show and tell format than discussion.  Each child chooses the book he or she wants to read within the given theme or genre.  He or she then talks about his/her book at the meeting.  Ds usually looks forward to the meetings.  The next topic is just one that doesn’t appeal to him. 

Thanks everyone for the suggested titles, I will see if our library has any of them.  Maybe one of them will appeal more than the ‘girl’ books that I have suggested. 

In case DS is willing to slightly shift genres, here are ideas for Science Fiction (involves space travel), Non-Fiction about Space, and Historical Fiction about Explorers (on Earth, not in Space). BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Science Fiction

gr. 3-4 reading level
- The Iron Giant (Hughes) -- robot comes to earth

gr. 4 reading level
- The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet (Cameron) -- 9yo boys travel in a spaceship to a planetoid
- Tom Swift, Young Inventor series (Appleton) -- adventure-based cross between Hardy Boys mysteries and Johnny Quest (the old TV cartoon)

gr. 4-5 reading level
- Time Cat: The Remarkable Journeys of Jason and Gareth (Alexander) -- adventure-based
- My Teacher is an Alien (Coville) -- earth-based; alien teacher
- The Green Book (Walsh) -- a family leaves earth to immigrate to a new planet

gr. 5 reading level
- The True Meaning of Smekday (Rex) -- humorous; alien invasion of earth
- Space Boy (Card) -- aliens visit earth
- A Wrinkle in Time (L'Engle) -- travel to other planets to fight a great evil and find a lost family member

Non-Fiction on space travel & exploration

- Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon (Thimmesh)

- Mission Control: This is Apollo (Chaikin)

- The Might Mars Rover (Rusch)

Historical Fiction on exploration

gr. 3 reading level
- Brendan the Explorer (Fritz) -- possible first explorer of N. America

- Eric the Red and Leif the Lucky -- Viking explorers

- In Their Own Words: Lewis and Clark (Sullivan)

- Ships, Sailors & Seas (Usborne)
- Great Black Heroes: Five Brave Explorers (Hudson/Garnet)

- Encounter (Yolen) -- Columbus

gr. 4-6 reading level

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman) -- humorous; clipper ships, 1849 Gold Rush
- Pedro's Journal (Conrad) -- cabin boy sails with Columbus

- Sign of the Beaver (Speare) -- Colonial pioneer boy and Native American boy
- All Set Sail (Armstrong) -- clipper ships

- Beyond the Sea of Ice: The Voyages of Henry Hudson

Non-Fiction Explorers
- Adventures of the Fleet: China Discovers the World
Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki Voyage (Steele)

- Around the World in a Hundred Years: From Henry the Navigator to Magellan (Fritz)