Menu

How would you spend one day in Philly?

scootiepie

My parents are visiting for Christmas and they want to take an excursion to Philadelphia to sight see.   It's about a 5 hour drive from us, and I've never been, so I don't

even know where to start.   I'm thinking we'll be there a day or two.   Probably depends on the cost of lodging.

I have an 8 and 6 yr old, so yes, I hope they learn a little history while we are there!

So...what would you say are the main attractions to fit in?

Would weekdays be better than weekends?   (or vice versa)

How about parking and getting around -- is it difficult?            Places to stay?

We are coming from the south, up 13 through Delaware.

I only have a dumb phone and no GPS, so I'm a map-it-out-ahead kind of girl.

The National Constitution Center is great.  We found the Liberty Bell viewing not to be worth the long lines.  But that is a personal preference.  A niece of mine wanted to see it when she visited, and was thrilled. 

Reading Terminal Market is an indoor market with places to eat, along with specialty food shops (and a few other types of shop, like table linens, but it's mostly food). 

I've not used the trolley or bus systems, but when I go to the city from the suburbs I try to take a Septa train in so I don't have to park. Parking is expensive and if you have a large vehicle, it may not fit in all garages.  (My Suburban does not fit everywhere.)   There is also often an extra fee for large vehicles.  

I've never done this, but am tempted:  The Philly Phlash bus takes you 'round the city; it's a hop on/hop off deal. 

If you enjoy art museums, the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Barnes Museums are incredible. But they would take up your day and more.

This is kind of off-beat, but the Eastern State Penitentiary is a really interesting place.  Could be very cold there at Christmastime.  And not very cheery.  ETA:  Never mind this, with kids the ages of yours.  Missed that first time 'round.

You might want to see if you can borrow a GPS.  The streets can be very confusing; traffic can be very heavy; streets in some areas are narrow.  At least once I've ended up on a toll bridge to New Jersey because I couldn't get out of a lane of traffic.  Or, make your plans ahead of time to park the car once and take public transit around.

Constitution Center.

Then walk past the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall to get to Capogiro Gelato (about one mile). On your way back take a different route and go into the Reading Terminal Market.

Walking gives you a better view of things but if it's too cold you could drive.

Check Hotwire for accommodations.

We went this summer with  history minded 6 and 9 year olds.  

We basically followed this itinerary--http://www.tripadvisor.com/Guide-g60795-i15801-Philadelphia_Pennsylvania.html-- (basically all the historical stuff as a walking tour), but we substituted the Mint instead of the Constitution Museum.  We can never just spend an hour at a  museum, so we knew we'd run out of time if we spent time there on that trip.  Also, we just walked thru Elsphreth's Alley with no tour and I it wasn't worth the walk over there--would rather have spent more time around the Ben Franklin Museum/printing press which was our last stop.

The National Park sites have Jr Ranger program for historic Philadelphia, and had some additional card collecting game going on.  The kids needed to approach the ranger at various sites and ask for collector cards, and would need to answer a question, or check something in the exhibit  out and report back, and would then get to choose a card.  We might have just run into awesome rangers though :).  

There is a section for older children at the Please Touch, but since the museum is harder to get to I would probably visit the Franklin Institute and/ or the Academy of Natural Sciences instead.

Club Quarters is in a great location and has reasonably priced (though quite small) rooms. The Alexander Inn is a boutique hotel in a great location that is also reasonably priced (again, small rooms). I don't know about parking for either.

I would spend most of my time eating: Philadelphia is a fabulous restaurant town!

We did Philly this summer with two teens. I am a planner too. I used the Frommer's guide, because their walking tours are great and take you along interesting streets, avoiding the dull ones. They also mention places to eat; I googled menus beforehand. I xeroxed pages so as not to carry whole guide. But I did carry a DK city guide that was helpful once we were in a place.

We spent a lot of time at the Independence Hall area. Independence Hall is a must. You can reserve the free tickets online. They also had free tickets available on site for the Todd and White houses. These were probably our favorite tours. Small group, no more than 12, with terrific guides, but I am not sure little kids are allowed. Opening hours may be sporadic in winter. We thought the Liberty Bell complex was uninspiring and also disliked the Constitution Center (not NPS, admission fee). The portrait gallery in the 2nd national bank was amazing, but mainly for kids/ adults who have heard of the people in the portraits.

Near Independence Hall, but not NPS, is the Franklin House and Christ Church. Both fascinating and great for kids. There is another Liberty bell in the church, and my dc were allowed under the rope to ring it. Betsy Ross House and Elfreth's Alley were also intriguing and in same general area.

At some, point, you might want to split into two groups. The Franklin Institute is, IMO, one of the best children's museums in the country, and your dc could very well spend all day there, plus it is $$$$, but totally worth it. Your parents might like the art museum. Also, at night, your parents might enjoy a concert. Don't forget the free organ concerts at Wanamakers!

The Italian Market is nice for all ages. You would probably want to drive and park on a side street.

I'd definitely hit Geno's in South Philly for a Cheesesteak.

My suggestion? "A Provolone With." That means a Provolone "with" grilled onions, but don't say "with onions" or they'll spot you for a tourist.

The whole Italian (and Lebanese) neighborhood around there is quite colorful. Think "Rocky."

Bill

Nope, choose John's Roast Pork or Tony Luke's. And "with" ?! No, no, you've gotta say "wit' " if you don't want to be pegged for a tourist (which you will be anyway, because you will be much better dressed than anyone else there), but really, who cares? Just enjoy your roast pork with broccoli rabe or your cheesesteak wit'.  ;)

There is a section for older children at the Please Touch, but since the museum is harder to get to I would probably visit the Franklin Institute and/ or the Academy of Natural Sciences instead.

Club Quarters is in a great location and has reasonably priced (though quite small) rooms. The Alexander Inn is a boutique hotel in a great location that is also reasonably priced (again, small rooms). I don't know about parking for either.

I would spend most of my time eating: Philadelphia is a fabulous restaurant town!

I agree that with kids the Franklin Institute is a great choice. I can't say what it offers is particular to Philly because I haven't been in many other science museums to compare. Kids just love it, though.

We had a membership to the Franklin for a year.  To my kids (ages 11 and 9 then) it was "meh."  But we had recently moved from a city with a great science museum so it didn't compare well.  Unless your kids love science museums I'm not sure it would be worth the time or expense.  But, you can probably get a good idea of most of the museums online.  We liked the Museum of Natural History better than the Franklin.

Oh, near Independence Hall is the American Philosophical Society museum. It is small, if I recall, but interesting when we went.   It has been a few years though and you would want to check the exhibits beforehand to see if they would be interesting to your kids. 

The Geno's conversation is cracking me up.  I don't think any tourist can pass as a local. The accent is not that easy to get.  But most old-timer Philly people I know say Geno's is a tourist trap now.  But I am a suburbanite and a recent transplant (only lived here 7.5 years), so I don't really know.  :lol:

The Geno's conversation is cracking me up. I don't think any tourist can pass as a local. The accent is not that easy to get. But most old-timer Philly people I know say Geno's is a tourist trap now. But I am a suburbanite and a recent transplant (only lived here 7.5 years), so I don't really know. :lol:

In that neighborhood, you're right, no one passes as a "local" if one is an outsider.

True story. The summer I finished college (Berkeley) I was invited by one of my best school-mates to come stay with him in his family's South Philadelphia brownstone that would otherwise be empty. It turned out to be right in the heart of South Philly. The view from my room was right across that odd little city-municipal baseball feild out to Pat's and Geno's. They are on 9th, we were on 10th.

So I fly in to Philadelphia pretty late my first night, go directly to George's brownstone and crash. But with the excitement of being a California kid in a very new environment, I was the first one up the next morning, so I thought I'd go out and explore and gather some provisions for breakfast.

I headed down 10th to the corner (Federal, if memory serves) were I spied a Lebanese bakery. I order some bread and the guy behind the counter says:

So youze muz be the guy sayin wit Gerogie?

I kind of blinked. I'd been in town for like 6 hours (sleeping) and not a soul had seen me.

I said "excuse me?"

Youze stayin with Georgie?"

I nodded blankly, wondering what sort of Twilight Zone world I'd fallen into. Feeling a little desperate for caffeine at this point I ducked into a cafe, where I heard a chorus of bright voices saying "Oh it's the guy staying with Georgie." This went on for days, until I became an accepted outsider. It was a colorful summer (I can assure you).

Trust me, there is nothing they don't know about nothing in So. Philly.

Bill

In that neighborhood, you're right, no one passes as a "local" if one is an outsider.

<snip>

Trust me, there is nothing they don't know about nothing in So. Philly.

Bill

LOL.  I believe every word of that story.

Even the suburbs are like that, in a way.  Very stable population. People don't move in or out much so everyone knows everyone else, and everything that's going on.  Three generations graduated from the same school. It's kind of neat in a way.  I've only lived in 4 states (in 58 years of life) but people are like "whoa, why do you move around so much?" 

Forgive the anecdote.

So while I'm in So Philly it is election season. And the background sound for weeks comes from a guy with a bullhorn mounted to the top of an old car who's driving around saying (in an inimitable So Philly accent): VOTE JIMMY TAYOUN FOR SERVICE!

A typically naive Californian, I ask George, what's this "for service?"

George looks mildly embarassed, and says, "you know, if you have a problem—say a bunch of unpaid parking tickets, or you didn't get the permits you were supposed to—you go to Jimmy Tayoun for service."

What do you mean "for service?"

He makes your problems go away.

Hard stare.

OK, he may be a crook, but he's our crook.

Jimmy Tayoun later went to prison for racketeering, mail fraud, tax evasion and obstruction of justice, but I believe he remains one of the most beloved figures in all of South Philly.

It is a colorful place.

Bill (getting hungry for a "Provolone with")

I am a Philadelphian and I eat cheesesteaks now and then- I've never heard anyone actually do that "wit" thing.

Franklin institute is awesome, as is the Mutter Museum of medical oddities. We have a good zoo.

Oh, yes! The Mutter Museum is so much fun, but I am not sure children as young as the OP's would find it as cool as older kids.

Your user name reminds me that there is also the Penn Museum. I think I spent half my childhood there. ;) Worth a visit if kids are into archaeology and anthropology. The "in the Artifact Lab" exhibition looks like a lot of fun - haven't been to that yet.

https://www.groupon.com/deals/philadelphia-sightseeing-tours-14

Is this the bus tour?

Has anyone been to the Mint?   Is that worth seeing?  

I'll be looking into all these suggestions - thanks! 

We use "Big Bus Tours" which Tripadvisor has as #19 in activities- that one you listed is #24, so pretty close- and it's still rated as 4 "stars". So I think that one would be fine, especially if you get a good deal on it :)

Just go for a double decker, and sit up top, if possible. We did the trolley before too- it's nowhere near as cool.

I have not been to the Mint. Have you looked/read the reviews on TripAdvisor?

What visit to Philly is complete without running up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art while humming Gonna Fly Now?

Maybe there's a generation gap? :D

Bill

Definitely. I had to rent the movie for dc after our visit so they could 'get' the steps. Music was familiar, used for 5k races, but context was not.

Forgive the anecdote.

So while I'm in So Philly it is election season. And the background sound for weeks comes from a guy with a bullhorn mounted to the top of an old car who's driving around saying (in an inimitable So Philly accent): VOTE JIMMY TAYOUN FOR SERVICE!

A typically naive Californian, I ask George, what's this "for service?"

George looks mildly embarassed, and says, "you know, if you have a problem—say a bunch of unpaid parking tickets, or you didn't get the permits you were supposed to—you go to Jimmy Tayoun for service."

What do you mean "for service?"

He makes your problems go away.

Hard stare.

OK, he may be a crook, but he's our crook.

Jimmy Tayoun later went to prison for racketeering, mail fraud, tax evasion and obstruction of justice, but I believe he remains one of the most beloved figures in all of South Philly.

It is a colorful place.

Bill (getting hungry for a "Provolone with")

Frank Rizzo comes to mind as another politician who made the law work his way.

What visit to Philly is complete without running up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art while humming Gonna Fly Now?

Maybe there's a generation gap? :D

Bill

My kids have never seen Rocky the movie but they do get a kick out of watching tourists filming their friends (and trying to film themselves) running up the steps.   

My kids have never seen Rocky the movie but they do get a kick out of watching tourists filming their friends (and trying to film themselves) running up the steps.

Something tells me we will (some day soon) have a whole sub-category of viral-videos of geezers having heart-attacks, breaking hips, etc. on those steps—set to the theme from Rocky.

It is hard getting old :D

Bill