Menu

Gluten/Nut/rice/cinnamon/artificial color free homemade candy options?

Dmmetler

My DD(just turned 10, but with motor skills more like a 7-8 yr old) wants to make some homemade candy/treats to give as gifts. She's better off with a microwave and stove vs stovetop/double boiler stuff because she's short for her age as well.  Most of the cookies and the like she can make are out because of the gluten and allergy issues

The only allergy that is anaphylaxis level is my cinnamon allergy, where I don't even have it in the house. All the other allergies are at a level where a small amount of cross-contamination isn't going to really cause trouble, but it's a matter of keeping it as minimal as possible.

Is this even reasonable to try??

What about jars of homemade hot cocoa mix, which is free of all those things. Homemade marshmallows to go with them would be lovely and allergen free, but would need your help with the syrup (and probably scraping out - I get sticky up to the elbow).

Joyful Abode granola bars can be made gf by using certified oats and desiccated coconut in place of the wheat germ (omit the nuts, just use dried fruit).

Orangette caramel popcorn is delicious even made without nuts and using microwave popcorn. My kids have made it with supervision cooking the caramel and stirring the popcorn periodically as it bakes.

She could use gf pretzels and dip them in melted chocolate, then sprinkle with gf sugars and other decorative goodies.

I made something like this:

http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Dessert/Butter-Mints

with my kids, and it was a very easy project.  They had fun molding them into different shapes.  This recipe says to refrigerate, but the one I used said you could also leave them out and they would dry out a bit, but still be yummy.  We did some without the food coloring, and they just turn out a creamy white color.

I am a little nervous about a pp's suggestion about caramel. My 12yo ds still struggles with that. Melted sugar can pop and burn inattentive stirrers, and pouring hot caramel can be dangerous for kids with motor issues (or any kid for that matter).

The recipe I linked above calls for the caramel to be made in the microwave so no popping. Stirring is not done while heat is being applied so the only thing you have to watch out for is splashing from over zealous stirring, which can easily be prevented with supervision. The caramel is hot, so I would have the adult do the taking in/out of microwave and also the pouring of the caramel in the bag and then make sure the child wears oven mitts while shaking the bag. With supervision and oven mitts my 8yo could easily make it.

If yoi bake the caramel corn after you mix it, it can last for a couple of weeks. Just pouring and mixing it--a couple of days.

Yup. The recipe I use (gets baked in a low oven) keeps well in ziplock bags for quite a while in swampy Maryland summer. I imagine it would do even better in the dry winter.