Menu

Framed art question

PeachyDoodle

I have three framed and matted prints from local artists hanging in my living room. And so I got this brilliant idea this year -- why not take some of the adorable photos I have of the kids with Santa when they were small and blow them up and put them in these frames as holiday decorations? Cute, right? Then after Christmas, I'll just stick them behind the artwork in the frames and they'll be there for next year.

So I order the photos online and dh picks them up for me yesterday. This morning I go to pop them into the frames and...

There is brown paper glued to the backs of the frames. Duh. :glare:

Can I take the paper off without harming the frame? I'm not sure what's underneath or what the paper does exactly. I don't have money in the budget for different mats and frames just for the Christmas photos. And I hate to have wasted money on having them printed (they weren't cheap; one was BIG).

Professionally framed and matted prints aren't usually simple to deconstruct (ask me how I know!). Very often, once you get past the brown paper backing, the mats will be glued together, and the print will be heat sealed to the matting. Sometimes it's possible to take the layers apart without creasing the mats, but use caution. Very likely you'll lose the original print in the process, if the job was done well.

I agree with MEmama. You don't want to mess with your already framed art.

It might not help this year, but if you keep your eyes open at garage sales and thrift stores you could pick up some frames for a few nickels. I bring such frames home and spray paint them black. They look great!  You could use those for the seasonal stuff you want to display--which is a very cute idea, by the way.

Dollar tree has $1 8x10 frames.  Some of them are very cheap looking, but every once in a while they have nice metal ones.  Hobby lobby does 50% off frames every 6-8 weeks, and I've found a few larger ones on clearance there for less than art at Goodwill.

Another thought...

I've seen people wrap artwork in Christmas wrap...perhaps you could do that first and stick the photos to the wrapping paper.

BTW...your idea was great! It's too bad it isn't going as planned!

I have done something similar to this before, so that might work.

I would love to get frames and mats for them. But the smallest of the frames is 8x10. The largest print is 16x20 (not sure how big the frame is but several inches larger than that). Frames that size are usually so expensive. Although our Big Lots often has framed art for pretty cheap so I might be able to get a larger frame that way. Or poster frames, maybe. If not I guess I'll just put it on hold and try to find something at the thrift store before next year.

Dontcha just love it when a plan that starts out so cheap and easy ends up being expensive and complicated???

Reminds me of the time when I was young and naive...

We were moving states. There was a pic done by hubby's Nanna which had never been displayed and I really didn't like the frame. It was a hassle to move framed so I pulled the frame off and ditched it so it could be packed easily...

I did get a bit of a surprise when I went to price getting it reframed!