Menu

Need suggestions for vintage (or free) readers, please no McGuffey...

Zoo Keeper

One of my boys (the 9 yo) has been a very tough nut to crack as far as independent reading; he wants "real books," but he does not have ANY desire for the usual cast of "age appropriate" chapter books that show up on lots of lists, and that inhabit my shelves (such as Stuart Little, Frindle, etc.)  The one exception was the Henry Huggins books, but those were last year's material, and he is sooo much older and wiser now... :coolgleamA:

I have a pile of DK type leveled readers, through level 4 and 5, on history and science topics, lovely pictures and interesting text.  Many of them I bought with him in mind.  He hates them.  :001_rolleyes:  They are "baby books" because they "just have lots and lots of pictures."

In desperation, I turned to some vintage readers.  He is currently working through The Progressive Road to Reading, Book Three by Georgine Burchill et al.(found on google books).  He reads daily, narrates to me, and then and draws his copywork from the stories.  He's not expressing a whole lot of happiness with it, but he's not complaining either, so I'm willing to call it a win. ;)  He will finish Book Three soon, and I'm not sure I want to jump to Book Four yet. 

Any other vintage readers (anthologies, etc.) I should look into?  I do use vintage loosely; my main need is something FREE, or cheap to print off as needed. 

Please, no McGuffey.  We tried that, and he despises the moralizing in most of the stories.  He doesn't want to have his character worked on, he just wants to read an interesting story. :biggrinjester:

Have you heard of Yesterday's Classics?  There are HUNDREDS of vintage books and they are in epub and kindle format.  If you take a look at the list of books, you can find a good portion of them for free at places like "Project Gutenberg", however if you can afford the downloads for YC, it's so much better because they have taken the time to format the books where the chapter links work.  

Have you tried the "Journeys Through Bookland" series?  http://www.amazon.com/Journeys-Through-Bookland-Vol-2-ebook/dp/B004TP8AN6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416100672&sr=1-1&keywords=journeys+through+bookland

There are 10 books.  The tenth book is the reading guide.  Currently, I only see 7 available as free Kindle books.  You may be able to find more of them at other free ebook venues.

Have you tried the "Journeys Through Bookland" series?  http://www.amazon.com/Journeys-Through-Bookland-Vol-2-ebook/dp/B004TP8AN6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416100672&sr=1-1&keywords=journeys+through+bookland

There are 10 books.  The tenth book is the reading guide.  Currently, I only see 7 available as free Kindle books.  You may be able to find more of them at other free ebook venues.

Hey!  I can find (most) all of these on archive.org!  In Kindle and pdf!  I can print out his own custom book!  

Whoo! Hoo!   Now to figure out what book...and what parts.... :willy_nilly:  What fun! 

Thanks.  ( I really do mean that. :D)

Hey!  I can find (most) all of these on archive.org!  In Kindle and pdf!  I can print out his own custom book!  

Whoo! Hoo!   Now to figure out what book...and what parts.... :willy_nilly:  What fun! 

Thanks.  ( I really do mean that. :D)

No problem; glad to help.  I found these at the suggestion of another member of this forum.

Yes, it does!  There are some series mentioned there that I have never heard of. 

I was hoping you would chime in...I know you have spent more time knocking these options around than I have. 

Thanks! :thumbup1:

Yes, it does!  There are some series mentioned there that I have never heard of. 

I was hoping you would chime in...I know you have spent more time knocking these options around than I have. 

Thanks! :thumbup1:

I was just obsessing that evening, and, yes, there are some RARE links there. :lol:

Have you tried the "Journeys Through Bookland" series? http://www.amazon.com/Journeys-Through-Bookland-Vol-2-ebook/dp/B004TP8AN6/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1416100672&sr=1-1&keywords=journeys+through+bookland

There are 10 books. The tenth book is the reading guide. Currently, I only see 7 available as free Kindle books. You may be able to find more of them at other free ebook venues.

And from NZ I am not even allowed to look at the preview of the kindle edition. It is really not reasonable that I have a legal kindle but not full use of kindle services.

Moan over.

Twigs, you just made my day.  And maybe tomorrow, as well.  :)

Thanks for all those lovely links.

You're welcome!

Since I can't tag threads anymore, I try to find useful related threads and post them in current threads.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes.