Menu

How to thaw chicken?

Just Kate

I'm one of those people who always respond to the "Would you eat this?" threads with a firm NO, so please keep that in mind when answering  ;)

I have a package of frozen chicken breasts that I would like to cook tonight. What are my best ways for thawing? Oh, and I don't have a working microwave, so that option is out. Any other (quick, safe) options?

I would not thaw on the counter--room temperature is not cold enough to keep bacteria from growing, though you're *probably* safe enough since you'll be cooking it so soon.

However, I do often thaw chicken and other meat in a sink/bowl/ziploc bag of cold water. It's safest to change the water every so often to make sure it stays cold, though I usually don't do that. I find that the heat that's transferred from the water to the meat is enough to keep the water cold enough for my comfort levels.

Raise your hand if you thaw chicken on the counter. Probably most of us do. I don't have room in my fridge to thaw anyhing larger than a 1 pound chub of sausage. So sink or counter it is.

Stagnant water that's not being changed on the counter isn't any safer than just on the counter. Under running water is slightly faster and safer. But honestly, I mostly don't thaw under running water unless it's something I need thawed faster or something large that will take a long time to thaw in hot weather.

Another cold water "thawer" here. Immerse package in a pot with enough cold water to cover chicken. It will likely be thawed within 2 hours or less depending on size.

It is important that the water is very cold so you don't partially heat it up and enable bacteria to grow.

Raise your hand if you thaw chicken on the counter. Probably most of us do. I don't have room in my fridge to thaw anyhing larger than a 1 pound chub of sausage. So sink or counter it is.

Stagnant water that's not being changed on the counter isn't any safer than just on the counter. Under running water is slightly faster and safer. But honestly, I mostly don't thaw under running water unless it's something I need thawed faster or something large that will take a long time to thaw in hot weather.

I thaw everything on the counter.