Menu

Is there any way to get Silly Putty out of fabric?

Suzanne in ABQ

9yodd dropped her silly putty in her favorite dress (made of washable rayon), then, while trying to get it unstuck, managed to squish a large blob into the fabric.  It goes all they way through to the other side.  I know I don't want to throw it in the washer.  Is there anything that will dissolve it or something?  I have both Goo Gone and Goof Off, but I'm afraid to try either one until I've heard others' experiences.

My ds got silly putty on his fleece blanket.  I read online to try wd-40. I thought the blanket was just about ruined anyway, so nothing to lose.  It worked.  It actually dissolved the putty.  The only problem was it took a lot of washing to get the wd-40 smell out of the blanket later, but it is gone now.  

Good luck,

K

Rubbing alcohol worked!  I placed the goopy part of the dress in a bowl, and covered the spot with rubbing alcohol, then sealed the bowl to keep it from drying out.  About an hour later, I opened it up, and the silly putty was dissolved.  I just rinsed it in the dish water that was sitting in the sink, then rinsed with clear water.  No smell.  No residue.  No nothing!  

I tried the alcohol first because I figured it would be easiest to get out of the fabric after treatment, and least likely to hurt the rayon.  I'm thrilled it worked.

Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions.