Menu

What is the difference nutrition or taste wise between green and red cabbage?

momee

I can't tell a difference in the taste. Red cabbage has a lot more vitamin A, as you might guess from the color, but I think that's the only clear advantage it has. Green cabbage has more of some other vitamin and both are generally very good for you. I personally buy red only if I really want the color because it's usually a lot more expensive. I can add carrots to green cabbage if I'm missing the Vitamin A. :)

Those who claim they taste the same: are you talking raw or cooked?

Both sort of.  Like I said I don't prepare them the same so I don't know if the difference in taste is due to that or that it really tastes different (if I were to prepare them exactly the same way).

There does seem to be something slightly different about the texture. 

Pretty much the only thing I ever do with purple cabbage is make sweet and sour cabbage.  I don't do that with the green one.  Once in awhile some salad mixes come with a bit of the shredded purple cabbage.  I don't think it tastes like much of anything.  

I'd have to try them both without seeing them to say for sure. 

I go through a lot of cabbage in a week and I can't tell the difference in taste.

I usually go for purple because it has so many great antioxidants. That purple/blue colour is difficult to come by in most diets, so purple cabbage is an easy way to boost it. Whenever I am given the choice I always choose the more colourful veggie, so I pick red or orange peppers over green, red onions over yellow, purple cabbage over green..along side green kale and broccoli. 

Red tends to hang on to its firmness when cooked.  That could be good or bad, depending on the recipe.

To me, it also seems to have a sharper flavor, while green cabbage can sink into the background.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-red-cabbage-vs-green-cabbage-5647.html

In addition to the higher vitamin A, red cabbage (according to this web site) has more iron and vitamin C.  And less vitamin K.