Menu

Found our "perfect" Bible program...

alisoncooks

...and it was right under my nose the entire time!   :huh:

It's Foundations (by Anne Elliot -- can also purchase on Currclick).  Just...wow!  I downloaded these *ages* ago when they were still freebies, but always discounted it b/c it looked "dry."  I must not have looked at them well at all because they are perfect for our family!

They have pretty much everything I wanted BSGFAA (and other programs) to be:

• CHRONOLOGICAL (beginning to end in a 3-yr program)!!!
  • discussion questions
  • daily schedule (5x a week)
  • memory work (1 verse/passage a week, sometimes building up a longer passage over a month or more)
  • Bible drills - books of the Bible, finding verses in the Bible
  • open-and-go
  • AND I don't have to buy workbooks or anything -- there are some written components a couple of times a week (illustrate the week's Bible verse, for example) but they'll use notebooks for that
  • It prints out lovely.  Each 2-page spread contains the grid for the week, mom's notes, suggested additional activities.  An appendix gives additional verses (for older kids or if you are going through the study a 2nd time).

The author links free coloring/activity pages (from Calvary Chapel) when applicable.  I did end up swapping out the suggested memory work for passages I prefer (for example, several weeks are spent memorizing the scripture containing the 10 commandments; we'll still memorize the 10 commandments, paraphrased -- we'll use our memory work that week for something else, probably a Psalm).

So  :hurray:  :party:  :thumbup1:

Finally!  We have been homeschooling for 3+ years, and this is the first time we've been consistent with it and enjoyed it (and the first time I have felt that we weren't sifting through fluff or busy work).

Oooh, interesting! Thanks for sharing this.

I will say, I have spent much of my free time over the past decade researching Adrenal Fatigue, and I have come across no one who addresses the issue as clearly, scientifically and yet practically as Anne does. She is a gem on health issues and her AF ebook is worth investing (and I hate ebooks).

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great based on the description. Wow, all of these years homeschooling and I have to agree with the author that this kind of methodical, chronological Bible study for whole families is long overdue. Glad it looks like this one may fit the bill!  I'm bookmarking to investigate more.  Thank you for posting about it!

Lisa

Thanks for the information! One question, apologies for intruding on the thread: those of you that do a formal Bible curriculum, are your children in Sunday School? My children are in Catholic Sunday School which has a formal curriculum. I'm reading the Bible everyday with the children, but we aren't doing anything else at home. I've tried doing a more in-depth curriculum at home but found it very time-consuming. Obviously Bible is important, and in Catholic schools and other private schools they have religion classes but I don't know if they meet every day or not.

Thanks for the information! One question, apologies for intruding on the thread: those of you that do a formal Bible curriculum, are your children in Sunday School? My children are in Catholic Sunday School which has a formal curriculum. I'm reading the Bible everyday with the children, but we aren't doing anything else at home. I've tried doing a more in-depth curriculum at home but found it very time-consuming. Obviously Bible is important, and in Catholic schools and other private schools they have religion classes but I don't know if they meet every day or not.

Our children don't go to Sunday School, but if hey did we still would. If God really is in all things, supreme being, sovereign, and Lord of your life wouldn't you want to show it by being in his word as often as possible? God gives wisdom, peace, and grace to those who read it. I read a quote once that said "The Bible is bread for daily use, not cake for special occasions." We don't use an actual curriculum. I'm sure they're cool, we just haven't. We read from scripture, selections from Spurgeon (protestant), memorize scripture, listen to sermons, and read children's Bible stories.

Our church no longer has Sunday School. My kids go to Children's Church each Sunday, which uses a formal curriculum, but I think it's light on the "old school" basics (chronological understanding, Bible drills, actual reading of Bible text with discussion.) Our kid's church atmosphere is more "visitor friendly," with music and games and video lessons.

If I could just read the bible daily, I would, but I benefit from a plan/program. Otherwise I tend to let it slip out of our day.

Our children don't go to Sunday School, but if hey did we still would. If God really is in all things, supreme being, sovereign, and Lord of your life wouldn't you want to show it by being in his word as often as possible? God gives wisdom, peace, and grace to those who read it. I read a quote once that said "The Bible is bread for daily use, not cake for special occasions." We don't use an actual curriculum. I'm sure they're cool, we just haven't. We read from scripture, selections from Spurgeon (protestant), memorize scripture, listen to sermons, and read children's Bible stories.

I definitely believe in daily Bible reading, prayer, etc. But we can do it in about 15 mins a day. We've done other curricula and I hesitate to turn Bible into another subject in OUR circumstances because we are getting the other pieces elsewhere. Unfortunately there is only so much time in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

To MaryanneA,

When I and my older kids (pre-homeschool ) were in Catholic school, religion class ( teaching scripture, catechism and application ) was daily for a regular class period(45 minutes -1 hour). It was more than just a scripture study, not that those can't be lovely too as part of religious edcuation. Of course we also prayed before each class and meals and our teachers would model going to God for help with everything... Lost items, praise for happy things , comfort for sick, and thanksgiving.

At home we also struggle with time. Usually I find that if we pray and have religion class first, the other essentials get done . It never seems to happen the other way around. Edited as I got way off topic.