Menu

Exercise Thread ~ October 19th-25th

Negin

I tried another Katy Bowman (Balanced Approach to Hip Strength) just now and again, it didn't resonate with me at all. It was only slightly better than the other two I've already tried. Six more to go . I really do want to give her a chance. I hate giving up on stuff, but it's just not doing anything for me. I'd get more out of doing Classical Stretch or Yoga.

Did some foam rolling. No time and not really in the mood for anything else this morning. 

Ughhh- a cold, didn't even make it to church; total rest day. I hope everyone else has a great week!

:grouphug:

I did a 40 min workout. It is an old exercise TV workout with squats, lunges, etc while holding dumbells. It is all compound moves. Think of it as Insanity but sane, lol. It's enough to get my heart rate up and I worked up a sweat, but I am not dying.

It was only 40 mins but PLEASE tell me that is good for today. It is show week. There is a ballet performance on Saturday and I have two kids in the show and my dh is working backstage. So I am juggling school, and getting two kids to rehearsals and dh is gone, blah blah blah. It just means things are nutsy...and then on Sunday we start with Nutcracker rehearsals

So this is me until mid december: :willy_nilly:

So my workout are going to be mostly about stress management. I need that sweat to feel centered.

My chin up bar arrived today :hurray: I've spent some time just hangin' with it :lol: I could feel all my verterbrae decompressing from the hours of sitting in the car and at the computer. In particular in my lower right back where I tend to lean. I also bought 'Move your DNA' and will begin reading that soon. I think I'm going to enjoy her work because at this point in my life I'm more interested in the micro-details around the moving body and less about sweating it up. My hill hikes are giving me plenty of that. Speaking of which today is a day off for me. I'm sitting here with a cup of rooibos and some dark chocolate :drool5:

Redsquirrel, I've got a dancer ds, too, and I find the performance part of things just as you described :willy_nilly:

Joyce Vedral Complete Definition - only had time for the lower body part.

Negin, love your picture. 

Thank you, Kim.  You're sweet :).

Hope you're feeling better and less tired. 

Just exhausted after a super busy and stressful week.

:grouphug:

It was only 40 mins but PLEASE tell me that is good for today. 

40 minutes is great. :)

My chin up bar arrived today 

:hurray:

Well, I moved a couch on Saturday and pulled a back muscle.    So, nothing yesterday and this morning I did nice and gentle Denise Daily Dozen. My knee is off and on with bothering me.

:grouphug:  for the back and knee problems. 

You know that I also love Denise Austin :D. 

Well, I moved a couch on Saturday and pulled a back muscle.  :cursing:  So, nothing yesterday and this morning I did nice and gentle Denise Daily Dozen. My knee is off and on with bothering me.

:grouphug:   It's just that one, tiny, little movement this way and, Bam!   Right?  It's not like you had the couch on your back.    SO NOT FAIR!     Soak in epsom salts and hopefully that will help the spasms.   

I got my new belt so I'm proud of myself.  It's hard to be an older beginner in MA.     

Today, WO, skillwork, stretch, roll and MA.    Yip!

:grouphug:   It's just that one, tiny, little movement this way and, Bam!   Right?  It's not like you had the couch on your back.    SO NOT FAIR!     Soak in epsom salts and hopefully that will help the spasms.   

Yes! I just happened to twist and bend just a teeny bit and something pulled. It's not like I don't have a strong back/core either. A person's back is so picky fragile....just like the knee. Very unfair indeed. 

It feels much better today. I was able to do FB HIIT and core work without problems. In fact, it felt good because it was stretching out and got the blood flowing in my sore spot. 

On the agenda for me today is a hill hike and several short sessions with the chin up bar just hanging. I'm going to look into some of Katy's videos. Someone posted a pdf listing exactly what was in each one so you could get a fairly comprehensive set of exercises without a lot of overlap.

I've popped on a few times today already. Love! The feeling of gravity so naturally stretching out my vertebrae and shoulders and ribs is great! My research has yielded that benefits are seen with a consistency of six times a week for five minutes, with the five minutes broken into chunks throughout the day. Something to aim for while enjoying the process :D

I tried another Katy Bowman "Alignment Snack" and this one is the only one that I will probably keep out of all the ones I've tried so far: "Everybody Needs a Little Shoulder Bolster". The others didn't do much for me at all. This one wasn't the most amazing thing ever, but I'm more likely to keep it than the others. 

Will soon do 1 Mile of Leslie. 

Well, I moved a couch on Saturday and pulled a back muscle.  :cursing:  So, nothing yesterday and this morning I did nice and gentle Denise Daily Dozen. My knee is off and on with bothering me.

Double ughh.   

I got my new belt so I'm proud of myself.  It's hard to be an older beginner in MA.     

Today, WO, skillwork, stretch, roll and MA.    Yip!

Congratulations from another old beginner:)  But I think we do have an advantage of coming to MA with an adult's focus- and the fact that we made the choice to be there.  If all my kids quit today I'd be at the studio anyway. I think I might want to be a Sensei when I grow up...

Monday- still groggy from my cold but my husband and I had a nice 2 mile walk.

Tuesday- martial arts, kettle bell. 

I so want a chin up bar. It's been on my wishlist for a few years. 

Today was day 4 of the 5 day challenge on FB. If you haven't done this challenge I encourage it. It is so much fun. They show/do modifications for beginners/low impact as well so don't be afraid of it. 

We are going camping from tomorrow until Sunday. I'm going to try and get in day 5 in the morning before we leave. Then it'll be hiking and such. I don't know if I can ride my bike yet. I'm going to sit on the seat today and try to ride around my yard. It's been 11 months since I fractured my tailbone and it STILL hurts, people. That is crazy right there. I don't even know what it is like to NOT have an aching tailbone anymore. Ah well. At least it is much better than it was in the first 6 months of the injury. 

Yesterday I had some stomach bug.  I'm still feeling it a bit today, but not as bad.  But no yoga or kettlebell yesterday.  Today I did a kettlebell workout from a new DVD.  Lauren Brooks released a new DVD called, Kettlebell Revelation.  It has 2 strength, a conditioning, and an ab workout.  I like it. :)

Mom-ninja, I hope it a good camping trip.  Sorry your tail bone still hurts.  It's frustrating how long it can take for things to heal.  

:grouphug: to everyone dealing with colds, migraines and injuries.

Momninja, the chin up bar I have couldn't be easier to use. It goes on and off the door frame with ease, no nails or screws needed. I'm on my kindle and can't post a link but I'll come back and do so later today.

Can I join in? I have been reading these threads for inspiration and information.  :) 

We actually have a thick dowel rod running across the wide doorway between our living room and kitchen. DH put it there for me to hang clothes to dry in the winter. I have been doing some hanging from it after reading what you all have been doing.

I have been doing a short 15-30 minute workout Monday through Friday mornings, and using my fitbit to help me get in at least 10,000 steps a day, usually by going for walks with the dog and using that as a sort of "meditation" time as well. Not sure what I'm going to do when the weather gets nasty. Getting outside alone is my "happy time."

Here is what I have done so far this week:

M - Strength training with heavy dumbbells 20 minutes; two walks (over 10,000 steps)

T - Rebounding for 20 minutes; 1 walk plus Leslie Sansone style exercise while watching a show (over 10,000 steps)

It's been 11 months since I fractured my tailbone and it STILL hurts, people. That is crazy right there. I don't even know what it is like to NOT have an aching tailbone anymore.

It's been more than a year since my hamstring pull and it still bothers me.     Frankly, it's cramping my style, so I totally get it.  :grouphug:

Does it ruin the door frame? Cause we had one before and dh got rid of it because it was leaving marks.

I don't see how it could as it sits lightly on it. There's no pressure or tension involved to make it stay put which would, I imagine, leave marks. But I'm not the one to ask as it's still so new. Once I'm at my laptop I'll post the link.

Can I join in? I have been reading these threads for inspiration and information. :)

We actually have a thick dowel rod running across the wide doorway between our living room and kitchen. DH put it there for me to hang clothes to dry in the winter. I have been doing some hanging from it after reading what you all have been doing.

I have been doing a short 15-30 minute workout Monday through Friday mornings, and using my fitbit to help me get in at least 10,000 steps a day, usually by going for walks with the dog and using that as a sort of "meditation" time as well. Not sure what I'm going to do when the weather gets nasty. Getting outside alone is my "happy time."

Here is what I have done so far this week:

M - Strength training with heavy dumbbells 20 minutes; two walks (over 10,000 steps)

T - Rebounding for 20 minutes; 1 walk plus Leslie Sansone style exercise while watching a show (over 10,000 steps)

Welcome, VaKim! The more the merrier here as we all draw inspiration from each other. Negin keeps us on the straight and narrow ;)

How cool that you felt inspired to do some hanging. More of that on the agenda for me today. I'm curious as to how you like your fitbit. I'm considering getting one myself.

Snickerdoodle, yours is very similar to the one I have. Here's a link. Sorry it's so long I'm still on the kindle :: http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1413985564&sr=1-1&keywords=iron+gym+total+upper+body+workout+bar

Eta mine only works on one door frame in the entire house, the one to dh's office. So I'm now in there regularly just, you know, hanging out :lol:

Does it ruin the door frame? Cause we had one before and dh got rid of it because it was leaving marks. 

We have one and it does leave some light scuff marks but it certainly does not ruin it. If I cared enough I am sure it would come off with a magic eraser.

I am going to try to get 30 mins of tracy anderson and 30 mins of cardio in today.

I have also started (as of today, lol) putting my exercise in my calendar the night before. If I put it in my phone along with my other scheduled stuff I will get a little reminder

Welcome, VaKim! The more the merrier here as we all draw inspiration from each other. Negin keeps us on the straight and narrow ;)

How cool that you felt inspired to do some hanging. More of that on the agenda for me today. I'm curious as to how you like your fitbit. I'm considering getting one myself.

Thanks for the welcome! I do love my little fitbit zip! Somehow, just wearing it makes me want to get my step count up. Great motivation!

Feeling really dumb but I do my chin ups on the kids' swingset.  The big bar that goes across the structure.  I'm so high tech that way  :lol:

Well, at least you can actually do a chin up! All I can do is hang, lol. And as I said above, I am making do with something that is already a part of my house. So another high tech person here.  :lol:

As the colder weather approaches my keen hiking sandals aren't going to cut it for my hill hikes. I was looking at shoes and I somehow ended up on a vibram page. Does anyone use these? The thought of my feet hitting the ground flat is painful but there is a lot of literature out there suggesting that this is a good way to mimic natural gait and foot placement.

Kim, the bands look pretty useful. Putting them on the wish list.

W - Random kettlebell-type exercises using dumbbells; one really fast walk (it was cold outside); WATP style moves for 40 minutes while watching OUAT with the girls. 

Got in my 10,000 steps and then some.

Edited to add, been "hanging" each day. I can hang for a whole 30 seconds now! Isn't that impressive?  :lol:

3. I can do 3 whole pull ups. My sons laugh at me so hard. I ask"How many babies did you birth?"

Well, that is spectacular. I can't do even one...yet. You must have some strong abdominals! And, of course, your response to your son is stellar :lol:

Yesterday my workout was forfeited in lieu of several hours spent soaking, steaming and plunging at our local asian-inspired spa. Heaven!

Hill hikes and hanging today for me.