Menu

7 year old ds and reading

Smiles

I have a question about my ds and his reading, he turned 7 in July. We are doing My Fathers World Adventures and we really like it. As for his reading I guess I just worry about if we should be doing more. He completed MFW 1st grade which has the phonics and seemed to do ok. He just has not gotten smooth with his reading. Now this is my oldest so I don't know what to expect, but I read about children reading  on their own at 3 or 5 and it makes me worry a little. I have always read to my children and this child loves to be read to and never has any problem comprehending things! But I just don't know how to get him reading smoothly and if he tries to read on his own he questions everything, which I think is his confidence. He is reading the nature reader book 1 from Christian liberty press with my help. He picked up Nate the Great Halloween hunt and we are reading it but I have to say he struggles a little but wants to continue, which I admire. I guess I just wonder is this normal? Is there something else I should do as far as phonics? Right now we are doing MFW Adventures, FLL 1, WWE 1, and Spelling by Sound and Structure. With spelling I have been thinking about changing to AAS its not that we hate it but just not sure about it. I read to him everyday and he reads to me everyday. Thank you in advance! 

It sounds to me like he is progressing in a normal manner and reading books appropriate to his grade level.

Fluent reading comes at different ages, and that's OK. Keep reading to him and reading with him; if you are not seeing any progress in reading fluency over the course of the year you might consider other interventions, but at this point it is most likely just going to be a matter of time and practice.

I agree with kiwik.

Sounds like he is very well for his grade/age level.

Take your time and you will see, one day he will just change and be able to be more fluid overnight.  It will just happen.

It takes time.

I wouldn't program hop to try to solve this or move him forward.

This is the most normal reaction we have - (must do something else quick!) and almost every time we just need to be more patient with them and ourselves. :)

I have both SSS and AAS and I like SSS better fwiw.

I'm pretty sure the average age for fluent reading is closer to 8-9 than 4-5. There will of course be outliers at either end, but the fact that some children develop fluent reading skills very early does not mean that every other child is behind. Children are just different in the ways they develop and progress.

My son became a fluent reader around 8. It is looking like my daughter will likely be pushing 8 by the time she is fluent as well, although she has had a much easier time learning to read she is just not developmentally ready for fluency. As long as your steadily working on it using a solid program, don't worry. Reading often takes a lot of practice and waiting, you can work on it all you want but if there brain isn't ready it doesn't matter.