Menu

Question from this out of shape mom..

Peaceful Isle

I am looking for a great workout DVD I can do with my oldest daughter. One that is not too intense but has some great moves for cardio. I'm not wanting anything too intense, lol, but enough to get my heart pumping, break a sweat, and lose a few pounds.

Anyone have any luck in this area ?😅 I'd like to buy off amazon so I can get it in a few days.

Ditto.  I love the Leslie Sansone dvd's.  I have the 5 day slim down, and have mainly done the first mile.  You can do the warm up, mile, and cool down in 30 minutes.  There's nothing that's too intense for me, out of shape 40+ year old.  If there would be something that's too much, you can just stop and walk until she get to the next move.  But I definitely sweat and get a decent workout (for me)! 

I LOVE Zuzka Light.  You can watch a ton of her workouts on YouTube, order cheap dvds from Amazon in the US, or join her online group.  BUT- a warning.  She used to do online pron.  She's talked about it a bit, about how it's the biggest regret of her life and fitness got her out of it, and how she sort of felt trapped into doing it due to the way she grew up.  She has huge implants, she wears clothes that show them off, and her earliest videos, from when she used to do bodyrock.tv with her ex husband, were filmed with some completely salacious camera angles.

I'm not offended by that kind of thing, but I definitely wouldn't play those early videos in front of sons, and I wouldn't share her with my uber-religious friends from the days when I went to an Assembly of God church, and I would might have a talk with my daughter about her past if the implants (and/or looks) became a discussion. But if you don't mind those things and want to be amazingly fit, if you want a short, intense workout that will make you crave healthy food instead of junk, and if you want amazing changes in her body, go for it. I lost about 80 pounds following her.  Those early bodyrock videos, when she was just switching from normal exercise to high intensity interval training, and her natural diet advice were amazing.  Watching her body literally change types while she changed diets and exercise plans were more informative than any trainer I've ever paid.

Some of the things I've learned:

• It's better for me if I eat whatever I want and pay very close attention to my hunger levels than it is to diet.  For me this means about five meals per day of 5-10 bites per day. Listening to my body instead of counting calories is both easier and harder for me- my portions tend to get out of control unless I'm very disciplined to only eat until I'm no longer hungry, and to never wait until I'm starving to eat something.  You want to eat as soon as you're a little bit hungry, and stop eating when you're no longer hungry.
  • If I do a short intense workout early in the day (it could literally be 20 frog squat-leap for the ceiling combos that take 2 minutes) hard enough that I'm gasping for air when I'm done, I crave healthy food all day instead of junk.
  • Body type IS changeable. I've had trainers tell me my muscular body type is hereditary, and that my GOAL weight should be 40 pounds over what the insurance charts tell me because otherwise my body fat will be too low to be healthy, and that I should give up losing my heavy thighs because hello, my muscles are huge even when I do no exercise.  Zuzka taught me that calories are the main indicator of what body type you have, and if you want classic slender shape eat fewer calories.  If you want fitness model shape eat fewer calories but make sure you eat protein with every meal.  I watched her go from somewhat in shape, but heavier than a typical trainer, to in amazing shape, to being super slender, to being a fitness model type, to falling off the wagon when she got divorced, to back in amazing shape again.  When she added yoga she became sort of hybrid yoga/fitness model shape. I find it all fascinating.  Obviously exercise can't change bone structure, but you can definitely change your body type waaaayyy more than most trainers admit.

I like the Leslie DVDs........but would rather walk outside if at all possible.

For a broad workout that is doable look at Kathy Kaehler's Total Fitness Workout.  It is 35 minutes broken down into 7 5 minute segments so you can do 1 segment each day for a week, do all 7 for a 35 minute workout or pick and chose what do to.  You just do what you can of the moves and keep working up to more.

Well, I did the Leslie sansone video with the girls today. It went great , other than I feel she talks too much! Let's just exercise already.

Thanks for all the tips! I think I will branch out after a while and find more later, but for now, I'm just surprised I got any exersises in lately. Not sure what has gotten into me 😜