Menu

My Miele is dead!! What to replace it

My Miele vacuum is officially dead. It only lasted about 6 years - according to the dealer it should have lasted closer to 10. So, what do I get now???

confirmed this with a professional Miele repair center?

I am only asking because the price you likely paid for this beauty should mean it will last at least 10 years!

Can't help much with other brand names. I read on this board (or old board) that some people like the Dyson. You could look into another Miele unless you are completely disenchanted with them now. ;)

when my 25yo one needed a part and we couldn't find anyone who sells parts any longer. I wanted a vac that used disposable bags, rather than a cup of some kind I had to empty, and Electrolux is one of the few that has bags.

I've had mine about 2 months; so far, so good.

I have an Electrolux cannister that I bought about 3 years ago. It works fine, but the auto-wind-up cord wants to wind up the cord all the time and keeps sucking it back in while I work, lol. I bought an upright that did not have the auto-wind-up feature.

We got our for about $350. The internal parts are made of metal not plastic, so it is supposed to last. This company bought out Panasonic sweepers and basically improved the Panasonic. We have had our old Panasonic for 18 years. It is still a workhorse, we bought the Simplicity for our main sweeper, and the Pan. is for upstairs now. We love it so far, and it has tools onboard with a nice extra hose/tools package that you can get for about $30.

We have a two story home. The dc's three bedrooms and our school room is upstairs. I bought an inexpensive Dirt Devil at Target for about $40 for them to use upstairs. I like it because the path is actually narrow so they can get behind beds, beside dressers, etc. Also, it is lightweight so they can actually use it. However, it is nothing fancy.

I have a Kenmore canister that others recommended to me. I hate it as a multi-purpose vac though. Like someone posted here, it continually clogged and there was no way to unclog it myself. The nearest Sears is 30 minutes away so I rarely use it anymore. However, it does have a great attachment for the stairs and I do the blinds and curtains with it. I find the canister with long hose handy for this.

I absolutely love my Dyson. It is powerful, easy and reliable. I am the only one that uses it as I don't want the parts missing, etc. I take it upstairs and do a good job up there about once a month.

Not sure if this helps but we are just a multi-vac type of family. I detest carrying a vac up and down the stairs so I prefer having one up and one down. I can tell you I had an awesome coupon from Linen and Things when I bought my Dyson that amounted to $100 savings. Might want to be on the lookout.

a Dyson as well. I have never owned a better vacuum cleaner! We have 3 kids and 3 pets, and it cleans up absolutely everything! It's safe for the wood floors (with an attachment) and works great! When we first bought it, my husband and I were continually amazed at how efficient it was. Our version is the Dyson Animal.

HTH!

I like my Dyson Animal. I can take it apart where it counts if something gets clogged in it. So far, it has not let me down. We've had it for a few years. Someday, I'll get a Roomba to supplement my Dyson efforts.

http://www10.epinions.com/Dyson_DC17_Animal_Vacuum/display_~reviews

http://www10.epinions.com/Vacuums (this page has links to more brands which are reviewed)

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/acr/acr_57.shtml#486 (scroll down for vacuum cleaner buying guide)

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/vacuum-cleaners/ (yet another review site)

RC