Menu

Getting over fear of flying?

lovinmyboys

I watched some youtube videos made by a pilot. He has a full program that costs $ but the free videos were enough for me. I also do things to distract myself. .knit, crochet, read, do puzzles. If the ride gets a little bumpy I close my eyes and think of some of the happiest memories of my life, when our children were born. I also watch the flight attendants walking around serving beverages and helping people.They seem calm and happy. All of these things combined really helped me.

I've never taken Xanax, but I do know that if you're going to take it on a flight, you should try it first on the ground. Some people react badly to it and you don't want experiment the first time while on a plane.

For turbulence, the one thing that really helps me is pushing my feet down firmly on the floor. It's just easier to take somehow. I guess it feels like I'm moving with the plane rather than being loosely jostled around.

Xanax. It doesn't erase the fear but makes it something you can deal with. If I took more than half of the lowest dose, I might have a better chance of erasing the fear, but I want to be functional.

For me, it's PTSD and not rational. :)

ITA......I don't have PTSD, but have an irrational fear of flying. I logically understand the physics of flight, the safety statistics, know that pilots are very well trained. Just doesn't matter.....I can't get over the fear. So, I take Xanax when I fly. I also take a half dose.....doesn't completely take the fear away but makes it manageable.