Menu

High Interest NON Fiction Titles...

for boys ages 7 and 11?

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't have access to a library and have to order everything online. My youngest one doesn't read very fluently yet so younger titles that would be appropriate would be greatly appreciated.

History and Science titles are specifically what I am looking for.

Thanks!

P.S I am thinking the Eye Wonder books might be good for the younger one. Eyewitness books are ok and we will try them with the older one, but something more fluid / paragraphs is what I want.

For your older, for history, try Alber Marrin and Russell Freedman.  They both have a lot of good books on many topics in modern history.  

We like books by Seymour Simon and Stanley Tocci for science.  Jean Craighead George has some natural history books my younger has enjoyed.  How To Build a Universe with 92 Ingredients and the Basher science books are good for both ages.

For your older, he's getting to the stage where he could enjoy A Really Short History of Nearly Everything, Exploring The Way Life Works, Dr. Art's Guide to Science and Guide to Planet Earth. 

David McCauley has some outstanding history titles.  Pyramid, City, Cathedral and Castle for instance. 

How Stuff Works

Peter Connolly and Fiona MacDonald for ancient Greece and Rome.

Landmark histories and biographies.  We Were There series.  American Heritage Junior Library and Horizon Caravel books.  These are older books from the 1950s - 1980s, depending on the title.  A few have been reprinted.  They are often available in libraries and used bookstores.

Famous Men series.  Also older, but in this case, old enough to be out of copyright.  You can see the text at The Baldwin Project.  www.mainlesson.com

ETA Padraic Column's retellings of myth and legend are also really good.  At least some of these are available at The Baldwin Project.

My kids like lots of history books and biographies. We like Jean Fritz, Robert Lawson, Landmark books, Diane Stanley and D'Aulaires.

What do your kids love? My dd loves horses and will read books like Marguerite Henry's Album of Horses over and over. My ds loves Star Wars and will work at reading large Star Wars info books for hours, even though his reading is only on a Magic Tree House level.