Menu

starting to drive alone, sad dad, sad dd (our difficult evening)

bettyandbob

Folks with a good sense of direction will never understand this.  Those of us who were not blessed by this understand.

I no longer meltdown and cry when lost, but this happened more than a few times in my early driving days/months/years.

Don't you directional folks try to gaslight those of us with real problems in this area now.

Gaslighting is a pretty heavy handed accusation to be making of people who are merely pointing out the dangers of getting into certain driving situations before you are ready to capably handle them. No one is denying her anxiety, or her right to feel as she does.

However there's some difference of opinion as to how hard this girl should be PUSHED to drive because they *need* her to. That need, which I'm sure is very real, has to be subordinated to the safety of the girl and everyone she may encounter as a driver. I think some of the remedial things and coping strategies people have suggested have been very good.

I still don't think she should be pushed to drive because of a perceived need. It only takes one horrible accident to realize that someone who is not ready to drive solo, or who needs more practice to gain confidence, should be afforded that opportunity, rather than be subtly pressured to take on more than she can handle.

Gaslighting. Really.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaslighting is a pretty heavy handed accusation to be making of people who are merely pointing out the dangers of getting into certain driving situations before you are ready to capably handle them. No one is denying her anxiety, or her right to feel as she does.

However there's some difference of opinion as to how hard this girl should be PUSHED to drive because they *need* her to. That need, which I'm sure is very real, has to be subordinated to the safety of the girl and everyone she may encounter as a driver. I think some of the remedial things and coping strategies people have suggested have been very good.

I still don't think she should be pushed to drive because of a perceived need. It only takes one horrible accident to realize that someone who is not ready to drive solo, or who needs more practice to gain confidence, should be afforded that opportunity, rather than be subtly pressured to take on more than she can handle.

Gaslighting. Really.

You could not have more completely misunderstood me.  I was referring to gaslighting as people saying that they "didn't understand how people could get so lost so close to home" and unable to find their way home, etc.  I was speaking in a lighthearted manner of my own and others lack of directional sense and the fact that those with good sense of direction will never understand those without one. 

I meant no reference to the 16 year old at all with that comment. 

Lecture unnecessary.  You were confused.  No one else in the thread appeared to be.

Really.

Wow. I use the term gaslighting when someone (person # 1) intentionally and repeatedly insinuates that another person cannot trust their instincts or their perceptions while they know very well the other person is right but it would not be in person # 1's best interest if that became apparent.

When I read it the way texasmama used it, I figured she was just joking and referring to those blessed souls who were born with a map of the world and the traffic system imprinted on their brain...don't think she meant it heavy-handed or even in the seriousness that it can imply.

It's just obvious that opinions differed widely on Betty's poor daughter and her experience.  :)