Menu

Any info or tips for visiting Dubai?

PinkInTheBlue

So, next week my husband and I leave for a brief business/fun trip to Dubai. This will be our first experience with that area of the world.

Most of our itinerary is already planned. We'll be staying right at the Dubai Mall (or whatever it's called). It'll be pretty brief. What do I need to know about clothes, especially for me, and any other tips? I especially want to know about clothes.

I'm excited but also a little nervous simply because it's a completely new culture for me. :)

Any tips I would really appreciate. :)

From what I remember, there aren't a lot of restrictions on clothing, as long as you dress fairly conservatively. I wore what I always wear - shorts or pants and regular tops. I wouldn't wear anything very revealing - plunging necklines, crop tops, or very short skirts. But from what I remember there were no strict rules.

Hope you have fun.

no info or tips - but an acquaintance's son used to live there and she *loved* visiting him there.

eta: from what I've read of Dubai - they are more on the side of "one day the oil will run out.  we want to be a tourist mecca to keep the money rolling in".   so, a little more friendly to westerners than other countries in that part of the world.

Friends of ours just moved there, and we're planning on visiting at some point this year. So far I've heard about a great waterpark with scary slides (a friend did the slide while wearing a GoPro, no way I'll be doing the slide!) and "camping" trips to the desert. It sounds like an interesting place to visit.

We had a WONDERFUL family vacation there last year!!  The malls are NOT just malls, they are INCREDIBLE.  For us, the Ibn Battuta Mall was the coolest (it is designed after the world travels of a famous Muslim explorer...incredible!!)

The main thing that people do is arrange one of the dessert adventure tours/dinner in the dessert.  We didn't do it because my son's arm was broken at the time and the jeep ride can be a bit...jolty.

It is very modern.  That being said, out of respect for the culture I would go with more conservative dress - pants, no plunging necklines, longer skirts.  But you will see westerners in a WIDE range of dress.

We did the hop on hop off bus to get a real chance to see many of the sites.

The old souks are very cook to wander around in.  The gold souk is very cool to window shop in!  The spice souk feels like you have stepped back in time!

Have fun!

In Dubai Mall you will feel like you are in any mega mall. There are signs, I believe, requesting "reasonable" clothing, but you see pretty much everything there. The number of expats/tourists way, way outnumbers the locals -- honestly, you may see a handful of local folks walking around but you will be in a sea of people from all over the world. The only time clothing will be an issue is if you are planning to visit any of the mosques or local cultural centers, in which case you might choose to wear longer/looser clothes and have a shawl or scarf handy. Outside of that, anything I assume you would normally wear -- you will see it all in Dubai!

I don't know how you have planned your itinerary, when I have had guests come for a short time I would plan a day for "new Dubai", a day for "old Dubai," and then excursions to other emirates as possible.

I wouldn't worry about clothing.  Tshirts, jeans, longer skirts, shorts... you see everything here.  I usually dress shoulders+knees covered... but I do that anyway so it isn't a big deal for me.  Actually, in malls and restaurants, it can be handy to have a shawl or cardi because the AC is often blasted to sub arctic temps.  If you need/want itinerary tips, lemme know.  Maybe I can help.  

It is still very hot out, around 40C/104F, plus high humidity that makes it feel a lot hotter.   I would probably not schedule too many things that involve being outside for long periods.

From gleanings from news stories, don't go anywhere without your husband and don't report a rape unless the are at least 3 male witnesses who are willing to testify on your behalf. :(

Ugh.  Maybe leave the responses to people who can actually be helpful.  This is fear mongering and blatantly false.  

Oh, I wanted to add, if you have the time to take a day trip to Abu Dhabi - the Mosque there is one of the most amazing structures you will ever see in your entire life!  I think you can actually skip the Taj Mahal if you make it to this Mosque.  We took a (very nice) bus that runs between Dubai and Abu Dhabi (if I remember it was about a 2 hour drive) and it was totally worth it!

From gleanings from news stories, don't go anywhere without your husband and don't report a rape unless the are at least 3 male witnesses who are willing to testify on your behalf. :(

I think perhaps it would be better if you relied more on personal experience than "gleanings."  This really is not at all relevant to questions about Dubai and just puts forward a number of inaccurate and offensive stereotypes.  Dubai is not a perfect place.  Treatment of guest workers (mostly from India) is pretty horrific.  But a Western tourist's experience of Dubai will not be impacted by that reality.

I think perhaps it would be better if you relied more on personal experience than "gleanings."  This really is not at all relevant to questions about Dubai and just puts forward a number of inaccurate and offensive stereotypes.  Dubai is not a perfect place.  Treatment of guest workers (mostly from India) is pretty horrific.  But a Western tourist's experience of Dubai will not be impacted by that reality.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/20/world/meast/uae-norway-rape-controversy/

I will warn any person going there to be aware of the laws there because of this story. I'm not saying "don't go." I'm saying stick with your husband, and if you are raped there you could be jailed.

Dubai is very friendly to westerners. The shopping is wonderful and try to visit the gold souk if you can. It's amazing.

I have family there and they've told me the desert overnights are also fun but I've never done it. It might not work if your itinerary is already full.

The heat is incredible so try and stay inside or go out at night. If you have to be out during the day it's often better to wear natural, light-colored clothing that to uncover. I found cotton and linen to be great, synthetics to be unbearable.

Have fun!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/20/world/meast/uae-norway-rape-controversy/

I will warn any person going there to be aware of the laws there because of this story. I'm not saying "don't go." I'm saying stick with your husband, and if you are raped there you could be jailed.

I read the article---- wow, just.... wow

Apparently it is illegal to drink alcohol in public?  How does that work with tourism?

I think perhaps it would be better if you relied more on personal experience than "gleanings." This really is not at all relevant to questions about Dubai and just puts forward a number of inaccurate and offensive stereotypes. Dubai is not a perfect place. Treatment of guest workers (mostly from India) is pretty horrific. But a Western tourist's experience of Dubai will not be impacted by that reality.

But I think in general, it is always good to be hyper vigilant in an unknown country, especially if you do not speak the native tongue.

I think it can be much more harmful for a tourist to think they are safe simply because they are Westerners.

And this isn't an India-only issue -- I do the same in large cities that are unfamiliar to me (Boston, NYC, etc.) because there are always people who will take advantage of an obviously confused tourist (unfortunately).

Don't drink alcohol in public even if you're a tourist?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

The article said she had been "out at a bar"--- but it is illegal to drink alcohol in public?  Why can they sell it then?  Many tourists drink wine with dinner-- can they still order it if drinking it in public is illegal?

I am confused.

I don't think a private licensed bar attached to a hotel is considered out in public in this context. There are clearly licensed bars in Dubai.

Being drunk in public is a crime so maybe that's what they meant?

Also, the charges are obviously bogus in the sense that they don't reflect what really happened. Perhaps they threw things at her to see what would stick.

Again, from personal experience, as a Western tourist in Dubai, these comments just don't hold water.

I spend a whole day without my husband wandering all the typical touristy places...malls, public transportation, etc.  Never for ONE SECOND was there any intimation of any problem.  I feel less safe in parts of Bangalore than I felt in Dubai.  I spent the other days in Dubai with my teenage daughter, son, and husband.  It was great!

I am not saying that foreigners who live in Dubai don't occasionally face problems.  I am not saying it is a perfect place.  I am not saying that there are not elements of governance that would be difficult to accept.

The question posed was about being a short-term tourist in Dubai.  The fact of the matter is that Dubai is one of the MOST tourist-dependent cities in the world.  It is one of the most westernized cities in the entire Middle East.  It is fast paced, glamorous, drowning in money, full of entertainment and shopping destinations.  It is full of interesting cultural sites as well.  For people who haven't been there to try and give "advice" about going there seems a bit strange.

Check when Ramadan is happening. I do not know exactly when it falls this year. If it is going to be soon, that can greatly change things. Give yourself a quick run down of the holiday and the eating restrictions, the praying practices, and a bit of the cultural significance. Nights are very fun, but long! Days are a bit awkward with not eating. Your car still counts as being "in public" as well which is different than the US.

Again, from personal experience, as a Western tourist in Dubai, these comments just don't hold water.

I spend a whole day without my husband wandering all the typical touristy places...malls, public transportation, etc.  Never for ONE SECOND was there any intimation of any problem.  I feel less safe in parts of Bangalore than I felt in Dubai.  I spent the other days in Dubai with my teenage daughter, son, and husband.  It was great!

I am not saying that foreigners who live in Dubai don't occasionally face problems.  I am not saying it is a perfect place.  I am not saying that there are not elements of governance that would be difficult to accept.

The question posed was about being a short-term tourist in Dubai.  The fact of the matter is that Dubai is one of the MOST tourist-dependent cities in the world.  It is one of the most westernized cities in the entire Middle East.  It is fast paced, glamorous, drowning in money, full of entertainment and shopping destinations.  It is full of interesting cultural sites as well.  For people who haven't been there to try and give "advice" about going there seems a bit strange.

As a westerner who has lived in the region for the past four years, I couldn't agree more.

Check when Ramadan is happening. I do not know exactly when it falls this year. If it is going to be soon, that can greatly change things. Give yourself a quick run down of the holiday and the eating restrictions, the praying practices, and a bit of the cultural significance. Nights are very fun, but long! Days are a bit awkward with not eating. Your car still counts as being "in public" as well which is different than the US.

Ramadan has been and gone this year so no worries there.