Menu

What is the cheapest way to buy Discovery Streaming?

The G3 deal got nixed after everyone caught onto it. I think Brainpop and Discovery made them limit it to their enrolled classes. I recently heard about another deal like it though, so I guess just keep your ears open.

Also check and see if your local district gets it. There are a few states that have purchased it for the whole state to use and in some cases homeschoolers get access as well. I know I saw someone from SC say that was the case there at one point and I've seen a few people say their district buys it and shares the access with homeschoolers.

The year we did it with G3 it wasn't as awesome or useful as I had dreamed so we never tried to resubscribe.

Our experience was similar with Farrar's. We had Discovery Streaming for two years through G3 and this is what my son looked like when he had to watch one of their videos :

:cursing:   :thumbdown:  :toetap05:   :cursing:     :eek:   :mad:  :banghead:     :ack2:  :angry:

And this is what he looked like when the video was over

:party:

Apparently, a lot of these videos are long, old (very old) and boring. We never would have gotten it for ourselves after we saw what they were offering.

We had also gotten the science videos for free with a science kit and they were a bit better but only limited to 3rd-5th grade science and again we had to go through a lot of old, irrelevant videos to get to the ones that were actually helpful. 

Just my .02 cents worth.

I got it through HSBC and won't be resubscribing (especially after reading others comments, I see it's not just user error). Might have found more good stuff if I'd spent the time to dig, but the way we've been doing school doesn't necessarily lend itself to video enrichment anyway. Brain pop feels like a much better use of the $.

I got it through HSBC. I saw that it used to be available through g3 and was going to investigate but from what I understand, that was just the standard, not the Plus edition (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).  We paid $99 for the year and we absolutely love it. I use it every single day - even on the weekends. I use our ChromeCast to stream it to the TV.  Maybe it's the age of the kids but mine get pretty excited about the videos :)  I feel like it was well worth the $99.  

We got it once back when G3 had it, the video quality is sorely lacking.  It also takes so long to find anything useful that I often lost patience.  YouTube has a crazy amount of educational videos, it does take some time to sort through them to find exactly what you're looking for but at least they're watchable.  I just copy the address and put it in a google doc with the days assignments listed.  HSBC had it for free for the summer but that ends tomorrow.

We subscribe to the Plus edition and use it for nearly every subject. They have a whole Spanish course (through the U of AZ), we always find good videos for math, health science, and history as well. We use it so much that everytime the HSBC has it for $99, we extend our subscription for another year. 

• 2 weeks later...

The video quality was so horrible, the search interface was terrible, too. Lots of videos but they were do poorly categorized as to be almost useless. Looking for a video was a bit like flipping through a poorly alphabetized dictionary. Plus, I bought it through HSBC, so when I decided I hated it I couldn't get my money back. I would never waste that money again.