Menu

Bad, bad kitty!

Bensmom

Ds is attending school for the first time ever. It is just 1hr. a day. (Homeschoolers can take ala cart classes at the small, private school). He has had homework most every day (it's math) and has been great about getting it done, keeping all his stuff in his new backpack, and putting his bag by the door when he finishes.

This morning, he grabbed his bag and headed off to class. When he opened his bag at school to retrieve his homework, he noticed his bag was wet....and smelled bad. It seems that Little Lovey was a very bad kitty last night, and peed on his backpack. Yep, it soaked through the bag and into the homework folder.

I had a stern talk to Little Lovey about peeing in inappropriate places, but he just looked bored.

Sounds like Little Lovey is not happy about her friend going off to school.  We had a cat who would get annoyed when we left her alone for a few days to travel.  When we brought in the suitcases, she would promptly jump up on one and pee on it as if to say "take that for leaving me". After a couple of those events, we would go inside first before unloading the car and give her lots of loving. That cured the problem.

Ds is attending school for the first time ever. It is just 1hr. a day. (Homeschoolers can take ala cart classes at the small, private school). He has had homework most every day (it's math) and has been great about getting it done, keeping all his stuff in his new backpack, and putting his bag by the door when he finishes.

This morning, he grabbed his bag and headed off to class. When he opened his bag at school to retrieve his homework, he noticed his bag was wet....and smelled bad. It seems that Little Lovey was a very bad kitty last night, and peed on his backpack. Yep, it soaked through the bag and into the homework folder.

I had a stern talk to Little Lovey about peeing in inappropriate places, but he just looked bored.

Just a thought, but if kitty is a male perhaps it was his way of protesting being called Little Lovey. Could get embarrassing when he goes to hang out with his other cat friends with names like Tom, Leo, and Bandit.

When I was a kid my cat peed on stuff all the time, and my Mom loved her for it.

If you left dirty laundry on the floor she peed on it.

If you left a messy pile of papers on your desk, she peed on it.

If you left a wet towel on the floor she peed on it.

If you didn't at least tidy/make your bed neat enough for her standards, she peed on it. (at least her bed making standards weren't high)

But she never peed on folded clothes (even if dirty), neatly stacked papers, dry towels on the floor, or a made bed. Oh, if I put my knapsack under my desk she wouldn't pee on it. But if I left it somewhere whe someone would trip over she peed on it. She would also sometimes pee on the shoes by the front door if they were very disorganized.

My mom loved that cat. She never had to nag about chores. I saw the cat doing the peeing often enough that I know my mom wasn't just spraying cat pee smelling stuff and blaming the cat.

Wow! I can't imagine a cat being so selective. I'm not sure if I would like a cat like that. I hate cat pee a lot and I have a pile or two of unfolded laundry out...

When cats suddenly pee somewhere unexpected it's a sign of something wrong. I, too, would drop by the vet to see if the cat is sick.

How about if this peeing behaviour seems linked with a new puppy coming into the home? Would it be worth looking into for physical problems, or is it more likely a protest about the cat's world being changed?

How about if this peeing behaviour seems linked with a new puppy coming into the home? Would it be worth looking into for physical problems, or is it more likely a protest about the cat's world being changed?

The general rule is that any time a previously reliable cat urinates in an inappropriate location you head for the vet.  Sometimes it is behavioral.  But a lot of times there's a medical reason and urinating inappropriately is the cat's way of letting you know something is wrong.  UTIs, idiopathic cystitis and stones are very common in cats.  With male cats it's especially important to head to the vet right away.  They can become completely blocked (obstructed), which is a life threatening condition.

Plus if the cat gets a clean bill of health physically, then there are some things a vet could recommend -- pheromone products and adding more litter boxes are good places to start, but there are several anti-depressant type medications that are very effective for inappropriate elimination that is behavioral.

Just a thought, but if kitty is a male perhaps it was his way of protesting being called Little Lovey. Could get embarrassing when he goes to hang out with his other cat friends with names like Tom, Leo, and Bandit.

Little Lovey is indeed a male cat. My ds was 5 when we got the cat, which he promptly squeezed and declared his "true love." :)

I think the peeing might be behavior not illness related. Besides ds being away from home more (the cat is constantly in his lap when he is home), we have a new cat living on our front porch. It is a stray that we have started feeding. New kitty doesn't come inside and Little Lovey never goes outside, but he sits at the door watching us pet the new cat. Ds thinks his "love-o-meter" has been low.

I have a young (human) friend who started wetting the bed after her cat died (due to old age. Despite this advice being for cats, the cat is not really relevant to this story). Due to the proximity of the two events, her parents assumed it was stress and didn't worry about it much, but when it kept happening they took her to the doctor - and found out she was only a short time away from entering a diabetic coma. She was in the hospital for sometime over a week, possible two weeks, I don't really recall.

Your cat is in a worse spot, because your cat can't even talk to you and tell you if it hurts or anything like that. The moral of this story is that just because two things happen at once, it doesn't mean they're connected. Unfortunately, the only way to tell if this urintion is behavioral or medical in nature is to go to the doctor. Uh, I mean the vet.

Little Lovey is indeed a male cat. My ds was 5 when we got the cat, which he promptly squeezed and declared his "true love." :)

Well, if the vet thing doesn't pan out, then try calling him by a name like Tiger, Rocky, or Bubba. Schrodinger would be good too.