Menu

Moving To Texas / Money Saving Tips

candicane

My parents and I are moving next month (well about a week and 1/2 from now) to Sulphur Springs, Tx. It's east of Dallas. We'll be renting a 3 bedroom house with a chicken coop and 2 acres of land. Our rental will be around 800-900 a month and since we're struggling enough just to get out there, we're struggling with the idea of how to pay it to begin with.

We're trying to save money, and we could use some help!

There is a local farmer's market that we're aware of which is on every Saturday (they have one at 6PM and one at 8AM) so we assume we could save money by buying produce here until we can put in our garden. How much does produce at a farmer's market typically run? What are some good produce we can start with in the September - December time?

Our place will be 9 miles from the walmart which is the only huge store out there aside from something called Brookeshire Grocery? So we need ideas of how to make things last without having to make tons of trips to the store. We have a crockpot but we don't know how to use it, or rather we haven't used it before. Any meals we could try with it to learn how to use it? What are some good staples we can stockpile up on? We're thinking pasta, and rice, but we're not sure what else.

Currently most of our money goes towards my father's e-cigs and non-alcoholic beer. For example, he spends $71.04(at walmart) a week on it for eight cases. I'm sure we could save money from this, but he's not keen on letting either go very easily.

We're also putting together the money (after rent is paid each money) to get a dog. We've always wanted one, we have two cats currently. What are some good places to look for german shepherd puppies? That's what we have our hearts set on.

Any ideas you have on how we could make our rent each month?

No ideas on saving $$  but Brookshires is a TX grocery store based out of Lufkin(East TX--about 150 miles from Sulphur Springs).  It is very expensive but sometimes has decent sales.  They have their own butcher shop so if you're inclined you can get really nice cuts of meat.  

Best wishes on moving and getting settled!

One thing just triggered my memory about moving to Texas. When we arrived in Texas and went to have to electricity put in our name, they wanted a huge deposit. Even though they run your credit (we have excellent credit), they still wanted a couple hundred dollars. If you get a letter from your current power company showing good standing they will waive that deposit:)

We were able to have one faxed eventually but it was a lot of hassle and took three tries.

Just a suggestion. Those moving expenses can be a lot:)

We're also putting together the money (after rent is paid each money) to get a dog. We've always wanted one, we have two cats currently. What are some good places to look for german shepherd puppies? That's what we have our hearts set on.

I would encourage you to look at the Humane Society for your dog and to not limit yourself to a particular breed or age. Most shelters have employees and/or volunteers who are trained to assess dogs and to help make a good match between a dog and a family. Also, remember to save enough in your budget for all of the regular and unexpected expenses entailed in owning a dog. You can find some good estimates online of the average yearly expenses for dog ownership.

On the topic of a dog, you could check into German Shepherd Rescue organizations. They find homes for breed dogs that have - for one reason or another - lost their previous owners. This is how I got my mastiffs. Cost is much less than buying from a breeder.

This site allows you to compare electricity rates in your area before you sign on with a company.

www.powertochoose.com

It has been my experience that the farmer's markets are more expensive than Walmart or Brookshires for produce.  My grandparents were born, raised, and buried in Sulpher Springs, and my dad was born and raised in Tyler.  You'll like Brookshires.  Nine miles to Walmart seems far, but in Texas that's a hop, skip, and a jump.  Really, it won't be far.

Welcome to Texas!!

I would wait on the dog until the money was sorted out. They always cost more than you think they will.  :grouphug:  There are many crockpot threads here. I don't know how to link them but maybe you can track them down. Also check out the food websites online. It's easy. Enjoy your move!

Thanks all!

We're definitely holding off on the dog for now, since there's a chance that the house will disappear since the landlord is keeping it up for sale despite us being in it.

Thanks for the website aggie! I saw it through Sulphur's city website, but it's good to know it's a trustworthy site!

Farmers markets can be very expensive for buying fruits and veggies.  Sometimes local stands at the end of people's driveways, etc. can be much cheaper.  Sometimes you can ask for "canning" quality produce and get some that isn't as pretty looking, etc. but still very edible for a lot less.

Hopefully your father will at least cut back on his expenditures.  The $70/week could almost feed all 3 of you with careful planning.