Menu

Paging Dr. Hive

ajfries

My 2 year old came up to me a few minutes ago gagging & drooling. His nose was running, too. It seemed like he had something caught in his throat? He was breathing, but he kept sticking his hand down his throat to gag himself...after a minute everything seemed to clear up & he took a drink of water. He doesn't talk & I can't figure out what he might have gotten in to.

He's perfectly fine right now but I'm not sure what to do.....

Absolutely zero chance he got into the medicine. In all likelihood it was a toy or possibly a coin. He did bring me a pin (like a sewing pin) later and I said, "Is this what hurt your mouth?" And he said "Uh Huh." so then I asked if he swallowed a shoe and the answer was the same.

The sewing pin would be the worst thing I can imagine. Whatever it was, it's in him now. He usually doesn't put things in his mouth. 

Yeah, I was going to say just to watch him and check his stool if you think he might have swallowed a small object, but the pin thing scares me. They can get caught in the esophagus, stomach, pierce the guy, etc...I think I would probably head to the dr., knowing it is most likely nothing. Better peace of mind that it potentially causing problems somewhere down then line:(

I took one of my kids to the Dr. once because I thought she had swallowed a metal marble. They did an x-ray and sure enough there it was in her stomach. I was told the x-ray was needed not because swallowing a marble would cause problems but because they needed to make sure she had actually swallowed and not inhaled it.

Unless you think the sewing pin is a real possibility, I would not worry as most things would just pass through. If you have cause to think it could be a pin or something potentially dangerous (button battery, magnet...) I would go to the Dr. just to be sure.

I would still take him in to get an xray.  Some pennies have a metal in them that can make a child very sick. My niece was hospitalized due to a penny that didn't pass and the ensuing complications.  A piece of plastic or metal that is pin shaped can wedge and create a blockage.

If nothing else, call your GP and ask what they recommend.  In the meanwhile watch the poop like a hawk for what it was to come out.