Menu

coffee drinkers, I need your advice!

mamabear2three

I guess it depends what you like.  Starbucks is cheaper than local coffee places here and I don't like drip coffee.  I'd rather eat my own tongue than drink drop coffee. But I much prefer Starbucks espresso. 

Cold brew coffee really is much easier on the stomach!  I have the new Starbucks Fall roast and it's fantastic.  You need to play around with flavors and brews to see what you personally like.  

Yes, I think that their regular coffee isn't all that expensive, but I don't drink straight coffee. I was thinking more of latte and other specialty coffees.

I'll have to try cold brew coffee. How do you prepare it?

Ironic, aye, that it's my coffee that keeps me from just sitting on the sofa.

Well, I should have been more specific. Sofa-sitting is totally fine in moderation, right? It's a great location to eat chocolate, have a glass of wine and enjoy a show or even have a well earned nap. It's the over-use of said sofa that causes the problems, as well as what kinds of "naughtiness" one gets up to on the sofa for extended periods of time. It's far too easy to consume a family-sized bag of chips or a box of Oreos on the luxury of a sofa.

FTR, I don't usually drink coffee on the sofa, either. I'm not sure if the coffee drinking is preventing the sofa sitting, or the sofa sitting prevents the coffee drinking, or if there are other completely different factors? ;)

Yes, I think that their regular coffee isn't all that expensive, but I don't drink straight coffee. I was thinking more of latte and other specialty coffees.

I'll have to try cold brew coffee. How do you prepare it?

I do, too.  I drink espresso-mochas, lattes, etc.  It's still cheaper than the local shops.  But it's an hour away, so an infrequent treat. :)

There are about a million recipes for cold brew out there.  I put 1/2 cup coffee in with 4 cups filtered water, stir, and put it in my fridge overnight.  Make sure to filter well! I just use a tea strainer because I'm lazy. :)

I do, too.  I drink espresso-mochas, lattes, etc.  It's still cheaper than the local shops.  But it's an hour away, so an infrequent treat. :)

Really? By local shops, I gather you don't mean the chains like McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts or Tim Hortons.  Our independent coffee shops are usually similar or slightly lower than Starbucks, and so much better. Perhaps Starbucks prices are over-inflated in Canada. Their nickname is "5 bucks" as that's the price of pretty much anything other than a plain coffee.

Really? By local shops, I gather you don't mean the chains like McDonalds, Dunkin' Donuts or Tim Hortons.  Our independent coffee shops are usually similar or slightly lower than Starbucks, and so much better. Perhaps Starbucks prices are over-inflated in Canada. Their nickname is "5 bucks" as that's the price of pretty much anything other than a plain coffee.

Ours are just awful.  Just awful.  I don't drink drip coffee, so no McDonalds and we're too rural for Dunkin' Donuts or whatever Tim Hortons is.  :lol:

I prefer to brew it like tea--  (with a little salt added)  I find that it takes the bitterness away to brew it this way.  So a french press, with a medium roast, 1 teaspoon per measuring cup, and s sprinkle of salt (kosher or sea), pour the water in and let it sit for three minutes.  I used to hate coffee, now I like with without cream or sugar when I brew it this way. 

I recently purchased a French press. I am enjoying the coffee very much. It's smooth and less harsh than brewed. It is also much better than the Keurig.

No coffee or beer!~gasp ~ I would be bereft. Seriously, I do think there are variations. I tend to crave bitter things but I remember doing that test where you're supposed to chew the paper that was bitter and I couldn't taste it at all. I like things super spicy too. I have weak taste buds I guess.

I was spitting and gagging at the bitter test and wondering why everyone else handled it so well. Naaaaaasty.

I have to second the French press and cold brew methods. I make a huge batch of cold brew once a week for my afternoon coffee, but I like hot coffee in the morning made with the French press or an occasional cappuccino with my espresso machine.

Good coffee is key, I had a Keurig and sold it, the coffee from those is disgusting. I buy local coffee from a farm around here and costco also has some good ones, and there is an Italian one I like to get but have to order from amazon. I only use milk or heavy cream, no sweetener or other junk, plus a sprinkling of cinnamon. Starbucks is over roasted and almost always tastes burnt. I think you just have to experiment, there are places where you can buy tiny sampler bags, that would probably be a good way to start.

Ours are just awful.  Just awful.  I don't drink drip coffee, so no McDonalds and we're too rural for Dunkin' Donuts or whatever Tim Hortons is.  :lol:

McDonalds does have espresso and related products. For the price, they aren't horrible. Tim Hortons is a large coffee and donut shop chain that originated in Canada, was bought by Wendys a couple decades ago.  Ok, I just read in the National Post (Aug. 26) that Burger King International are buying Tim Hortons International. You may get a Tim Hortons in your area yet. 

That's too bad you don't have a better independent coffee roasting place.

You're probably too rural for IKEA, but their coffee is my favourite. Perhaps they perk it? IDK. Their decaf is also very good.

McDonalds does have espresso and related products. For the price, they aren't horrible. Tim Hortons is a large coffee and donut shop chain that originated in Canada, was bought by Wendys a couple decades ago.  Ok, I just read in the National Post (Aug. 26) that Burger King International are buying Tim Hortons International. You may get a Tim Hortons in your area yet. 

That's too bad you don't have a better independent coffee roasting place.

You're probably too rural for IKEA, but their coffee is my favourite. Perhaps they perk it? IDK. Their decaf is also very good.

I would sell part of my soul to live near IKEA.   :lol:   McD's espresso really is terrible here.  It's way too sweet.  I think that's one reason I like Starbucks mixed drinks-I can taste the coffee with a bit of sweetness but not overwhelmingly so.  Places here try to mask bad coffee with more sugar. 

Is there a particularly "gentle" way to introduce coffee to someone? 

Ignore the people telling you to put sugar and milk in the coffee.  The thing you want is to find some fantastic coffee, made correctly.  Once you find great coffee, you can decide if you want a little milk/cream (but never sugar!).  But you need to find the good baseline first so that you understand what you're changing.

The reason most people put milk and sugar in their coffee is most of the coffee americans have drunk since forever is awful.  It doesn't have to be that way.

Tell me what city / town / area you're in, and I'll tell you where you can go for someone to make you fantastic coffee.  Then you can learn to make it yourself, which is easy.

Ignore the people telling you to put sugar and milk in the coffee.  The thing you want is to find some fantastic coffee, made correctly.  Once you find great coffee, you can decide if you want a little milk/cream (but never sugar!).  But you need to find the good baseline first so that you understand what you're changing.

The reason most people put milk and sugar in their coffee is most of the coffee americans have drunk since forever is awful.  It doesn't have to be that way.

Tell me what city / town / area you're in, and I'll tell you where you can go for someone to make you fantastic coffee.  Then you can learn to make it yourself, which is easy.

Where is the bowing down icon?  :lol:

This.  CaffeineDiary said it all.  Good coffee doesn't need sugar or milk or syrups.  Good coffee is excellent on it's own, black.  Yum. 

If you need further help, I'll be happy to assist as well.  I don't know where you can go to have someone make it for you, but can help with ordering freshly roasted, shade grown organic beans, and learning to make an excellent cup of coffee at home.  

And CaffeineDiary, now I want your list of great places to go to get a good cup!  We're going on vacation to the outer banks of NC, and I have no idea where we'll get our fix.  We'll take some good stuff, but I'll want it while we're out and about.  Any leads?  Want to compare shops in other places, too?  

And CaffeineDiary, now I want your list of great places to go to get a good cup!  We're going on vacation to the outer banks of NC, and I have no idea where we'll get our fix.  We'll take some good stuff, but I'll want it while we're out and about.  Any leads?  Want to compare shops in other places, too?  

The CoffeeGeek forums suggest that Muddy Waters in Elizabeth City (about 15 miles away?) is the best local shop.  Less highly praised but apparently pretty good is the Front Porch Cafe in Kitty Hawk.  (I haven't been to either, but if you go, report back!)

The CoffeeGeek forums suggest that Muddy Waters in Elizabeth City (about 15 miles away?) is the best local shop.  Less highly praised but apparently pretty good is the Front Porch Cafe in Kitty Hawk.  (I haven't been to either, but if you go, report back!)

We're staying near Kitty Hawk, so Front Porch it is.  I'll let you know!