Menu

Cities with great metro systems outside the US

Amira

What non-US cities have good metro systems?  

I just spent a few weeks riding the Metro in Mexico City and it reminded me how much I like to be in cities with good subway systems.  I really want to live in Tashkent and St. Petersburg and ride theirs for a while. :)

Hong Kong has a great system. Having an "Octopus Card" you can use any public transportation, subway, buses, ferries, trams etc. I don't think there is anywhere in Hong Kong that you cannot get to by public transit.

Tokyo.  Moscow.  Amsterdam.  Copenhagan.  

I was on my own without a car in Boston recently and was pleasantly surprised how well the T worked.  In the US, I've only ever been familiar with the systems in NY (which goes everywhere but is still not so pleasant, though much better than it used to be); and WDC (which never goes anywhere near anywhere I actually want to go).

Paris and London immediately come to mind.

Cairo has a metro system which works well if where you want to go is on the system.  It's incredibly cheap…but also incredibly crowded.

I seem to remember that Rome has a metro system as well.  I might be imagining it.  We usually walked in Rome…and it's been awhile…so…don't hold me to that.

Hong Kong is wonderful on a tourist octopus MTR card. Paris and Tokyo are user friendly too.

Switzerland has a nice rail system between cities.

My home country which is a city nation has metro countrywide except for smaller outlying islands where you take the ferries. Takes away the need to own a car even though people would still buy one.

We just returned from a week in Singapore and LOVED the train system.  So easy, convenient, safe, clean, cheap.  It got us everywhere we needed to go (except the zoo which was a little bit on the edge).  My ds (9) was in charge of the metro map and figuring out how we would go from point A to point B. Every city should be so lucky to have such a great system in place!