Menu

Christmas plans so early?

Night Elf

My sister just emailed the family asking for dates of availability for a Christmas pot luck. She's never done this before. There aren't many of us, just 4 households. We've never had a problem deciding on a date at Thanksgiving. It just seems awfully early in the year to make a date. I know two of our households have to coordinate with other family. They may not know this far in advance. She just took me by surprise. We have no weekend plans in December so I told her whenever would work for us. Weird! I hope she doesn't try to do gift giving! We don't normally do that either.

Does this involve leaving work or traveling far?

Nope, we're all local. Well, we live about an hour away but that's no big deal.

I don't mind her asking this early. I'm really looking forward to Christmas this year. I'm not sure why. Maybe she's just feeling the same way? :)

I'm a planner and I'd rather know now before I commit us to other things. And Thanksgiving is exactly 4 weeks before Christmas so maybe her thinking is better to nail it down now than to wait until then and discover there's no date that works with everyone.  I would hate to commit us to three other events in the same weekend as our family get together. 

And as for coordinating with the other side of the family, hey whichever family plans first gets the date.   

I think this event is important to her and this is her way of making sure it happens. 

My dd just signed up to perform in the Nutcracker which limits our free time so much I just let my family and in-laws know what I hoped would work for everybody. Politely and with flexibility, but I didn't want anyone to suddenly come up with wild, big, never-been-done-before plans. :-)

Maybe she's got a lot on her plate? I know I was discussing Thanksgiving with my mom today on the phone and she was telling me my brother's plans for Christmas. I'm okay with the holidays. It's the field trip invites I'm getting for January that are driving me batty....I'm not there yet!!!! :)

My sister just emailed the family asking for dates of availability for a Christmas pot luck. She's never done this before. There aren't many of us, just 4 households. We've never had a problem deciding on a date at Thanksgiving. It just seems awfully early in the year to make a date. I know two of our households have to coordinate with other family. They may not know this far in advance. She just took me by surprise. We have no weekend plans in December so I told her whenever would work for us. Weird! I hope she doesn't try to do gift giving! We don't normally do that either.

Good for her! :-)

If she wants gift-giving, maybe y'all can draw names or something, instead of everyone buying stuff for everyone.