Menu

Leftover roast beef

Night Elf

Meat pie.  Onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips if you like them and have them, maybe some turnip.  Saute in 3 tbsp oil or butter, then add 3 tbsp flour and stir.  Gradually add 2 cups of beef broth.  Throw in the meat, diced finely, and some fresh parsley if you have it.  Then use in the way you'd do chicken pot pie - a pie with two crusts, a pie with only a top crust, a casserole with mashed potatoes on top (and maybe cheese), or a biscuit topping.  You could do individual servings if you have small baking containers, which would be lovely for lunch or a "leftovers" meal.  And it's always fun to send a dh to work with such a lovely meal.

Meat pie.  Onion, garlic, carrots, parsnips if you like them and have them, maybe some turnip.  Saute in 3 tbsp oil or butter, then add 3 tbsp flour and stir.  Gradually add 2 cups of beef broth.  Throw in the meat, diced finely, and some fresh parsley if you have it.  Then use in the way you'd do chicken pot pie - a pie with two crusts, a pie with only a top crust, a casserole with mashed potatoes on top (and maybe cheese), or a biscuit topping.  You could do individual servings if you have small baking containers, which would be lovely for lunch or a "leftovers" meal.  And it's always fun to send a dh to work with such a lovely meal.

I like the idea of baking these into muffin pans. What would I use as a crust for the bottom, maybe canned biscuits?

I like the idea of baking these into muffin pans. What would I use as a crust for the bottom, maybe canned biscuits?

You could do them in small Pyrex bowls, or other oven-proof dishes (ramekins are ideal) from which you could serve them, in which case they wouldn't need a bottom crust.  

Or you could make a traditional pie crust - if you have a food processor it's easy - I use this recipe.  (Or try the Cooks Illustrated recipe with vodka instead of water.)  It is *super* easy.  Just make sure your butter and your water are *cold*.  Once you've got the processor out, it's easy to make several batches and store the extras in the freezer.  I pat the dough into a disc shape to make rolling out easier.  I roll between two pieces of waxed paper, lifting the paper up and putting it down on the dough again every few rolls.

Or you could use canned biscuits - stretch them out, put one in muffin pan or on cookie sheet, fill, put another on top, crimp edges with fork.  The biscuits of course won't taste as good as the pie crust, but they are a bit less work.

I have leftover cranberry horseradish in my freezer from Thanksgiving that would go great with that roast beef. I guess I should clean out my freezer....

That sounds yummy - got a brand name or recipe to share?

OP, that amount I would chop and add to either soup or baked beans. I do love taquitos, though, but I don't think 4-5 oz of beef would be enough for a family meal.

That sounds yummy - got a brand name or recipe to share?

OP, that amount I would chop and add to either soup or baked beans. I do love taquitos, though, but I don't think 4-5 oz of beef would be enough for a family meal.

This is it: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4176014

Enjoy!

Btw I just scoop frozen spoonfuls out to thaw for sandwhiches. I just made way too much!