Menu

Things to do in Minneapolis?

ChristyB in TN

We plan to stay downtown for a long weekend and I need some ideas, please! No kids, just my husband and myself, we love craft beer, great vegan food, active stuff. I need to know where to stay that's in the middle of lots of places I can walk to. thanks! Looking on Priceline, so far I am loving the looks of The Saint Paul Hotel. Thoughts? Christy

How fun!  From downtown Minneapolis, there is an amazing trail system that runs along the Mississippi River.  There is also the Nice Ride bikes all over the place for easy rental (some bike shops will also rent nicer bikes).  It's also possible to take a Segueway tour downtown Minneapolis and the river front.  There is the Gutherie and Orpheum Theaters(as well as some smaller theaters), the Mill City Museum, the Walker and sculpture garden.  It would also be possible to go down to the Minneapolis chain of lakes and utilize that trail system (which is actually accessible all by trail from downtown).  You can rent canoes or kayaks down there.  It is also possible to do a paddleboat tour on the Mississippi.  Target Field is downtown as well if you're into professional baseball.

You can easily take the light rail to downtown Saint Paul where there are plenty of other things to do too.  Public transit has gotten easier here.

Do you only eat vegan?  I can think on some options.  There are an ever increasing number of tap rooms in Minneapolis and St. Paul. 

http://www.visit-twincities.com/

Oh St. Paul Hotel.  We had our wedding reception there and have done overnighters on anniversaries!  That is a gorgeous hotel.  That is downtown St. Paul.  From there you can still access river trails, the Science Museum, The History Center, The Landmark Center (where there are events and a musical instrument museum), the St. Paul Farmer's Market (which is a fun place to walk and people watch on the weekend and pick up some yummy local fare).  Downtown Minneapolis would still be easily accessible via the Light Rail. 

That is so helpful! Thank you! Just knowing there is an easily accessible public transportation system helps soooooo much. We have the kayaks already arranged. :) We only take 1 weekend off from work every month and decided to make those weekends count. That particular weekend is our anniversary! I picked Minneapolis because it is beautiful and have never been there. We can't wait! How do you feel about the Renaissance Depot? The W?

Downtown Minneapolis has so much going on these days.  St. Paul's downtown -- though I love it and think its buildings are old and beautiful -- can be quite dead on weekends and evenings.  If you want to be in the heart of more busy-ness, I'd suggest you stay in the downtown Minneapolis area instead.  (Even though the St. Paul Hotel is beautiful.)  Someone else suggested the Renaissance Depot Hotel and I'd agree that that is a great hotel right on the edge of the downtown and close to the Stone Arch Bridge on the Mississippi, which I'd recommend walking across.  (The hotel also has an ice skating rink.)  It's also just a few block from the Guthrie Theater, Mill City Museum, and the Spoonriver Restaurant, which I believe serves organic, veggie style dishes among its offerings.

The Warehouse area is an up and coming neighborhood also in Minneapolis, just beyond the downtown.  We've stayed at the Marriott TownPlace Suites in that area which is really nice, and also has a nice outdoor pool.  The area has lots of "hip" cafes and pubs. 

The Warehouse area is about 8-12 blocks from the downtown center, and the Renaissance Depot Hotel about 6 blocks.  Both places are walkable to the downtown center in the daytime;  we've walked to the Renaissance at night, although I'd probably drive or taxi to the Warehouse area at night.

If you stay right in the downtown, it's a lot of fun to stay in a building connected by the many skyways to all the various main d.t. buildings.  (And there are many.) 

A good breakfast place downtown is Keys Restaurant, although most hotels offer breakfast.

Have fun!  It's really a great city!