Menu

S/O vacuuming and pets--looking for a new vacuum

AnnE-girl

We recently took out the rest of the carpet in our house, so I am getting used to mostly sweeping and using the Swiffer daily, but I still want to vacuum the crevices along the baseboards, etc, frequently.  We have a big, loud upright with a hose and crevice tools, but I don't want to drag that out all the time, especially since it doesn't do a great job on the hard surfaces for some reason.  I'm looking for a small vacuum with a hose and crevice attachments.  Does anyone have one they like? I don't want to spend a lot.

You can get a small, 1-2 gallon shop vac in the neighborhood of $30.  That would do a good job.

If you can stand to spend the money, I am enamored of central vac, you can use it for EVERYTHING that you want to vacuum away, move room to room just with the hose, and the canister is outside, so no allergens blown around.  But it does cost a few hundred dollars to buy and install.

I have a Miele canister vacuum that I love. It was relatively expensive, but it has a HEPA filter, is under warranty for several years, and is quiet.  To me it made more sense to invest in one good vacuum than to buy several inferior vacuums that would just end up breaking.

Just bought a Shark and like it so far. Holds its own compared to my Dyson.

Seconded. I've had several Dysons that promised the world and disappointed me, but the Shark has been steadfast and loyal (and apparently, I am far too emotionally involved with my vacuum cleaners).

The hose-and-crud-canister part of the Shark can detach from the wheels and handle, which makes it easy to cart around to clean baseboards and corners. When fully assembled it is a bit tippy, though. Traumatized the cat the other day. Sorry, cat.

We recently took out the rest of the carpet in our house, so I am getting used to mostly sweeping and using the Swiffer daily, but I still want to vacuum the crevices along the baseboards, etc, frequently.  We have a big, loud upright with a hose and crevice tools, but I don't want to drag that out all the time, especially since it doesn't do a great job on the hard surfaces for some reason.  I'm looking for a small vacuum with a hose and crevice attachments.  Does anyone have one they like? I don't want to spend a lot.

You need a canister vacuum cleaner. It will do a better job than the Swiffer (although you'll still use the Swiffer, because sometimes you just won't feel like getting out the vac). I have an Electrolux (a canister as well as an upright--we have carpet upstairs). Most stores that sell appliances will have canister vacs (i.e., Sears, JC Penney, Lowe's).