Menu

How do you do audio books?

DesertBlossom

When it comes to the latest and greatest gadgets, I don't have them. In fact, I realized I don't even have a portable CD player anymore, though our DVD player and computer will run them.  I should probably buy another one. But I know you can also check out audio books from the library. What devices can/do you listen to those on?  I'd like to start using audio more and I'm willing to buy something, even if it's just speakers for the tablet or smart phone for more portable listening. 

I know this probably sounds like a really stupid question....

I subscribe to Audible. I pay around $20 to receive 2 credits. Most books "cost" one credit to download. You own it once you download it. They also have a lot of the Great Courses, most of which also only cost 1 credit to download. I play them on my iPhone (they have an app that makes it super easy to download/delete/access your library) or transfer them to the kids' iPods via iTunes.

We listen on all apple devices (iPods and iPhone). For the iPods, I download the books from my library website ( my library has overdrive and one click digital) and then plug in the ipod to my computer and transfer to the ipod. For my iPhone (and you could do the same with an iPod touch), I use the apps (overdrive, hoopla, and one click digital) and download books directly to my phone.

When we check out a book on cd from the library we have to listen to it on a CD player.

We listened to audiobooks in the car. Does you car have a CD player?

It does. I've been trying to find CDs at our library because we're planning a small road trip in a couple weeks, and I can't seem to find how to just search for CDs. It's bringing up audio files or this device you can check out. I need to keep looking.  I have "checked out" a couple books from overdrive online (I think it was) but we only started to listen to them and quit. There's really no place to snuggle up around the computer. I do have a samsung galaxy. DH has a tablet. But I haven't figured out how to use those for audio books. 

I do have a samsung galaxy. DH has a tablet. But I haven't figured out how to use those for audio books. 

You can listen to them in Windows Media Player or itunes. I can import my audible files and they play in either.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. You could put on an audio book while the kids play quietly, while they draw, while you do chores...

Ha! Okay, apparently "non-musical sound recording" is what I need to be looking for on the library's website.

And maybe I should invest in speakers for the phone and tablet? Recommendations?

We have little round iHome speakers and they work well for books, you plug them into a USB port to charge them. They're $20 at walmart.

We check out a lot of audiobook CDs from the library. They're mostly used in the car, although we sometimes listen to them in our open-space upstairs (so while the kids are eating, drawing, playing, sitting around...a variety of activities). I tend to use them inside as a way to distract, entertain, or otherwise babysit my kiddos when I can't - the way some people might use a television. We reserve snuggling for real read-alouds :) 

I have an older, small iPod that I load with audiobooks for the car. These are a mix of free books from Storynory, books we've copied from the library, and digital loans. 

I personally HAAAATE the format of the digital loans from our library. The tracks are very long and it makes skipping to our chapter annoying. It works, but it's kind of a pain when you have to skip to chapter 8 of some A to Z Mystery while trying to drive. 

I wonder if you can get an adapter between your tablet and car stereo speakers?