Menu

Spinning off the - do you watch your grammar thread

Does anyone else find that as they reach that "certain age", their spelling is going downhill?

I'm finding that as I type, I often type the wrong homonym. I see my mistake as soon as I type it but I'm a bit mystified as to why it's become a problem. I've never been the world's greatest spelling (thank goodness for spell check) but it's getting a bit ridiculous.

The thing that has destroyed my spelling is not age, it is speaking other languages. I grew up speaking other languages, and they did not effect me, but I studied Spanish in high school, and then French in college, and that is what really destroyed English spelling--well, not destroyed, but I went from being a natural speller, to questioning anything that might be similar in French, especially.

Even worse is my accent. I've also always had an accent that was a bit off (my dad was educated in England, and had a very strong British accent, which I have fought all my life--some words I just cannot say without a British accent), and I have found that I have certain words I have trouble saying with an "American" accent, more than before--now they come out more with a French, or almost Italian, accent--zebra is one that comes to mind--I cannot say it correctly to save my life, and I don't know why--the first syllable is too fast--and I know HOW--just can't do it! Very annoying!

Learning a second language did bad things for my English too. I guess that's to be expected when a person with a fairly shoddy vocab spends her functioning hours (far less than awake hours) using another language, five days per week.

Getting pregnant did nasty things for my spelling, and it's not improved yet! One day I sat typing an email, and suddenly couldn't spell. It took me ages to write that email because I had to keep looking up words to see if they were spelled properly, and if it was even the right word to use.

Rosie

Yes! I wonder sometimes, if it's because I'm more easily distracted by the things going on around me now than I was 5 years ago. I regugulary regulary regularly (ok, I didn't make that up--I just kept going as I tried to figure out what I was trying to say) mix up homophones now. I had at least a few "tip of the tongue" memory losses during the day too. I've read many times that these perimenopausal things don't last. I hope that's true.

Does anyone else find that as they reach that "certain age", their spelling is going downhill?

I'm finding that as I type, I often type the wrong homonym. I see my mistake as soon as I type it but I'm a bit mystified as to why it's become a problem. I've never been the world's greatest spelling (thank goodness for spell check) but it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Yes! What is up with that?

I blame it on having my brain packed with other more immediately relevant information. I mean, there's only so much space in there.