Menu

beach camping advice

bettyandbob

I'm hoping to take dd16 and ds13 (down syndrome) camping at a state park beach for 3 nights in a few weeks.

4 man tent. 

debating between two twin air mattresses (two will fit in the tent) or putting something else down in the tent to make it more comfortable. 

sleeping bags/pillows

small sterno stove

what do you think is necessary to bring (camping related, I have first aid stuff and will bring beach stuff)

what food would you plan

The tent sites have electric and water. So, should I bring stuff that requires electric. 

I can't imagine 3 people sharing 2 twin air mattresses. I guess it's possible, but I can't imagine it being comfortable.

Are you actually camping ON the beach?

Beach camping IME is not private. Because of that (and the sand getting everywhere) we won't camp in the sand again. We felt like we were camping with a bunch of strangers the 2 times we camped on the beach.

Definitely bring a light for each person. Chairs.

Sand stakes for your tent!!!  Because if it is windy, regular stakes will have you scrambling.....so speaks the lady who has camped aplenty in Hawaii and has done her share of scrambling before she convinced hubby to 'buy the dern sand stakes..'

Here in Northern California if you go camping at the state beaches you are not actually camping on the beach.  You can see, hear & smell the beach from the campsites, but it is a little trek down to the beach.  We go beach camping for a week every year.

If what you have is a small camping stove you are going to need to keep things simple for meals.

Breakfast: 

Instant Oatmeal-Boil water on your stove

Individual Quiches- Make at home- boil water for tea or hot cocoa

Omelets in a bag if you are brave- google it

Lunch (we usually make lunch at the campsite and take it down to the beach):

Pizza or BBQ filled breadsticks

sammies of all kinds

Dinner (simple one pot meals that you make ahead and reheat):

Chili-can be made into hand tacos with single serve bags of tortilla or corn chips or served over cornbread muffins you bake ahead.

Chicken fried rice- make your favorite recipe and re-heat

Spanish rice with chicken (arroz con pollo) or taco filling to be served with tortilla chips

I make the meals ahead and freeze the meals in freezer bags for each day except the first one or two days.

Have fun,

Amber in SJ

PS this year we tried toasting starburst candies over the fire.  My kids loved them :)

Newspaper, kindling (if there are fire pits) and find out if you can buy firewood at the park or if you need to bring it from home.  Matches, too.Flashlights, and a lantern (battery powered is fine).  Yeah, one time dh and I went camping and forgot to bring flashlights.  NEVER again!

Long skewers for roasting marshmallows or hot dogs - if there are fire pits.

Sunscreen and bug spray.

Pocket knife.

Chairs.

Warm clothes, windbreakers, hats if your beach is somewhere that can get cold and/or windy, especially at night.

Books, card games, etc.

Mugs and a kettle or pan so you can heat water for cocoa, coffee, tea.  When camping, I am of the cook as little as possible philosophy, so unless it's cold (mountains) I like to do no/low cook meals -- sandwiches, instant hot cereal for breakfast, fruit, cheese, crackers, trail mix, deli meats, chips, etc. Saves on dishes too.

Smores are fun if you have a campfire.  One time we split bananas in half, stuffed with choc chips, wrapped in foil, & put in the campfire ashes for a bit.  Yum!

And I always, always, stake out the tent.  Another lesson learned the hard way during a surprise storm.  At least the rainfly was up...

Friends mocked me when I took a broom when we were beach camping. Then they borrowed it... Sand getting into everything is the worst aspect of beach camping. It sounds like this is formal camping, but if it isn't, you may need a spade for a toilet hole!

I would take the air mattresses and pillows.

Don't leave any food out anywhere and keep the vehicle windows closed. We had raccoons all over the place while we slept (see footprints on van).

The seagulls love your food too.

We camped at Padre Island Nat'l Seashore the week Memorial Day was over and it was fairly secluded. We could drive to the visitor center with facilities any time of day or night to shower or use the bathroom.

Early mornings the park rangers did turtle patrol in golf carts.

Food and cooking...the wind was always very strong and hard to keep a flame going.

Take Benadryl along for jellyfish stings.  

We ate lots of fruit. Yogurt. Chicken salad. Crackers and crunchy stuff will go stale fast.

Have a great time! I love the look of people who have been roughing it at the beach camping! (I don't mean in a trailer or motor home either)!

Edited to add: sleeping on the ground hurts. It was like concrete. That's why I suggest the air mattresses. I've used blankets or sleeping bags, no good. Air mattresses, sweet.

Sand stakes for your tent!!!  Because if it is windy, regular stakes will have you scrambling.....so speaks the lady who has camped aplenty in Hawaii and has done her share of scrambling before she convinced hubby to 'buy the dern sand stakes..'

I can't tell you how much I agree with this.  I remember chasing a tent, twice(!) when a big wind came out of no where when we were camping at the beach.

I would take an extra tent (if at all possible) and another air mattress. If only two twin sized air mattresses will fit, it isn't going to be large enough for two teen boys and yourself. Do you know anyone who could loan you one? I

We bought rebar to use as sand stakes.

Bring a good mallet to hammer any stakes in and make sure you can get them easily when you are putting up the tent. We always pack the mallet in with the stakes. You need a big tarp to go under the tent or you will get holes in the bottom of your tent. Do you have a rain fly on your tent? Some come with them, but some do not.

You need something to carry water in and to put water in and a way to wash dishes. You need something to heat that water in for washing dishes. While you are eating you put water on to heat to wash the dishes. You will need a couple dishpans, one for washing and one for rinsing. I don't think a sterno stove is going to be practical for 3 days of camping. Sterno cooking is more for wilderness camping. You might prefer a real camping stove that uses propane. Or do you have a lot of that dehydrated camping food? That is what sterno stoves are good for. If you have to bring the sterno bring a lot with you. Sterno can be difficult to find.

You need a meal plan for each meal and know how to clean it up, unless you are planning to go out for every meal. Now, that would be fantastic! But make sure there are places nearby. We have gone to some very isolated parks and once had to drive 90 mins in the pouring rain to find a Friendly's to eat lunch. Make sure you know if there is a nearby grocery store. That will be cheaper than going to the camp store. I often just bring food for the first day and then shop for the rest of our planned meals at a local store. Food just takes up too much room in the car.

For food you need things like instant oatmeal (I like the kind in cups, no clean up in the morning), bread and peanut butter, soups, fruit cups, tortillas and refried beans. Think little to no refrigeration needed and food that only requires heating, not prep. You will need a good ice chest and a plan to buy ice from the camp store every day. You can usually buy things like butter or milk at the camp store. You will need things like plates, forks, knives, cups.

You need hygiene stuff like stuff to carry your shampoo toothbrush etc. You need flip flops for the shower and maybe quarters for the shower? It depends. I always bring my own toilet paper. You need a sturdy plastic tablecloth and tablecloth clips to keep it from blowing away. That picnic table will be your only work surface so you want it clean. And if it rains you can put stuff under the table and the tablecloth can help keep it dry. Windup flashlights are a big help.

I doubt  two twin  air mattresses should work for 3 people. Can the three of you sleep in 2 twin beds? Air mattresses don't stay firm or even stay together. If you were thinking of putting two together to make one big one it won't work. They won't stay close and someone will end up on the ground between the two. And do you know that they will both fit in a 4 man tent? My general rule of thumb when car camping is you need a tent that is twice as big as the number of people. When they say '4 man' they mean laying down nose to feet with very little floor space. If you are planning to keep your clothes in the tent then you might need more space. But that is just me and I am a camping princess :lol: After many years of car camping we now have a ginormous tent. If it is going to pour I like to be able to throw everything inside the tent and still have room to sit down.

Bring some cold weather clothes. Nights can get chillier than you might think. And you need rain gear or you will need it.

And let's not forget what you REALLY need:

A way to make coffee in the morning (I like Starbucks Via instant. It is instant coffee that is actually good)

a way to charge your phone off your car battery

a fully charged and stocked Kindle

:laugh:

Do you have friends who camp? The person who taught me to camp grew up a girl scout, and she was a great teacher.