Menu

Java programming and computer science

My son has been using the TeenCoder Java Programming course, but he's having trouble. He's making errors but without feedback, he doesn't know what to do. In his latest lesson, he was tackling a problem a certain way but when he got stuck and looked at the solution, he realized he was completely off. We once emailed the company a question about why he was getting a specific error and found out it had something to do with what Java we were running. We don't feel the company is set up to provide feedback on lessons themselves.

Can anyone recommend a program that would involve feedback from a teacher? Ds isn't sure that his working through a book on his own is working.

He wanted to get some programming experience because he wants to be a computer science major in college. We figured those majors would be coming into the classes knowing different programming. If he doesn't have the experience, do you think that will hinder him being successful in college classes?

Have you thought about an online class?  My ds took the Java programming from Rich Younts at The Potters School and loved the class.  He went on to take AP Comp Science through PA Homeschoolers and said it was mostly review from Mr. Yount's class.

My son (junior this year) wants to study programming in college as well.  I do not think it is necessary to have computer programming before college.  I just felt having ds take a class was a nice way to see if he would enjoy programming.  I think having a solid math background is WAY more important than programming skills.  Ds thinks taking logic has also helped.

Blessings,

Michelle

My daughter is learning Java also. Here's what I have her doing.

YouthDigital.com - MOD DESIGN (using Java) is currently on sale at Homeschool Buyers Coop: https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/mod-design-1/?c=1

My son loves Minecraft. This could be an ideal class to motivate him. It's for grades 3 - 8 though. Is it too easy for an older teen? Is it possible it's not teaching Java completely because of the age range? I don't know anything about learning Java.

We can't use anything religious, not even the slightest bit religious.

Can anyone recommend a program that would involve feedback from a teacher? Ds isn't sure that his working through a book on his own is working.

I have been very happy with the computer science classes offered by eIMACS.  The teacher response time is very quick and helpful.

Ds took Java through Potter's School.  I actually took the class with him.  Here is my review:

Ds took Java with Rich Yonts through the Potter’s School for a 9th grade elective.  TPS website is http://www.pottersschool.org.  I also participated in the class (I am a programmer by trade with out-of-date skills).  There were 13 students in the class.  We met weekly for 1.5 hours using TPS classroom software that allows students to see the teacher’s desktop, chat in a textbox, and use a microphone to speak (though no one did).  The teacher presents the lesson using a PowerPoint presentation for slides, an editor for programming code, and Paint for diagrams and pictures.

Pros:

• Not time consuming
  • Syllabus provided at beginning of year with all reading and assignments specified
  • Instructor was prepared every week with a PowerPoint presentation and lecture
  • Instructor as a person was kind, caring, personable, and friendly
  • Instructor as a teacher was organized, enthusiastic, and well qualified
  • Instructor provided thorough responses to questions via email
  • Instructor graded and provided meaningful feedback on 7 homework assignments.
  • Nearly secular (short prayer at the beginning of class)

Cons:

• Verbose text – 1100+ pages
  • Covered 12 out of 25 chapters.  Being a homeschooler, I’m used to finishing the book. Covering half is horrifying to me.
  • Did not cover input/output to files.  Something I consider essential.
  • Had this been a core class, I would have been uncomfortable assigning a full credit.  Ds probably only spent 1 hour per day during each 2 weeks we had to complete the 7 assignments.  I felt better assigning a full credit because this is an elective and the material was completely new to ds.  I struggled a bit with the object-oriented portions since I have many years of experience with procedural languages.  Ds struggled as well with many of the totally new concepts.
  • While teacher was good about answering questions via email, he did not take time within class to ask for questions or poll the students to see if they were following him.  I think this is a common problem with online classes.  My student (and I know he was not the only one) got lost along the way but would not email a question, and instructor never solicited questions during class.

We used this class for an introduction to programming and Java.  In all honesty, I don’t know that I would recommend it as a first introduction to programming.  I think Python or Web Design may have been a better starting point, but the class times wouldn’t fit into our schedule.  Visual Basic would have been another good option, but that is considered a junior high class which made me nervous due to NCAA eligibility.

• 4 weeks later...

My son has been using the TeenCoder Java Programming course, but he's having trouble. He's making errors but without feedback, he doesn't know what to do. In his latest lesson, he was tackling a problem a certain way but when he got stuck and looked at the solution, he realized he was completely off. We once emailed the company a question about why he was getting a specific error and found out it had something to do with what Java we were running. We don't feel the company is set up to provide feedback on lessons themselves.

We are about to begin TeenCoder Java.  Did it not help to look at the solutions to find his errors?  I haven't looked at the solutions yet, so I'm wondering whether they provide adequate guidance?  

There are some Java lessons on Khan Academy.  I started playing with them and found them to be easy to follow.  I don't know to what depth they go as I only worked through a few lessons.

My son is enrolled in the Amplify AP Computer Science class which is a MOOC.  It is free for the student.  Coaches pay a little to track their student progress.  The class starts up next week, but I think you can still enroll.