Menu

Stores that give out frequent coupons

Tohru

I've found that if I know a store gives out coupons fairly frequently, I'll wait until I have one before I go buy anything from them.  

Do you feel like you don't want to shop at store that has offers coupons frequently unless you've got a coupon?  Like Michaels has a coupon every week, Kohls has 15% or 20% off quite often, Papa Murphy's...there others.

I wonder if the coupon practice actually hurts stores.

There are stores I shop in whether I have a coupon or not, and stores I don't go into if I don't have a coupon.  I am more likely to buy more if there is a coupon.  A local grocery store sends out coupons every now and then; even when I get one I am likely to forget it, but the store has the things I need anyway so if I manage to use a coupon it's a bonus for me.

Last night we went to AC Moore because my daughter "needed" some beads. We printed a couple of 50% off coupons.  Instead of just buying some beads and using the coupons, we bought some yarn and a few other items.  Since there is a coupon available almost all the time, it doesn't change my shopping habits there.

I'm actually turned off by stores that do this too much.  Like Kohls.  I really don't shop there because I can't stand the fact everything is always on sale.  So then I feel like nothing is really ever on sale. 

I don't think it necessarily hurts them because like Michaels, I too will try to get a coupon, but I usually end up buying more than one item.  So they got me into the store with the one coupon and I end up spending more money.

I know what you mean.  I just assume the "regular" prices are inflated and don't buy things unless they are "on sale."   But I don't like Kohl's anyway so I am biased there.  Stores like Michael's and Joann Fabrics do the same thing and I still shop there.

Our Joann's is moving to a newly built store right beside the current one. And they're selling all their stock at 40% off so they don't have to move it. That didn't impress me at all- since they always have 40% off coupons, this sale wasn't saving me anything more than their usual prices. 

But this week I did need a small piece of fabric for a table runner backing so I ventured in. All their fabric now is sold by the bolt- they have the bolts marked and you have to buy the whole piece. But it's all 75% off.  The bolt I bought had 5 yards left on it and I can use it to back a quilt in addition to my runner...score!!!  

I also hate Kohl's but sometimes still shop there. I wear a certain jean they sell and will NOT buy it if it's not on sale.  I care more about their 50% off jeans sale than I do a 20% coupon.   Kohl's and Bed, Bath and Beyond are the WORST offenders for filling my inbox with coupons. 

I am a HUGE Kohls shopper! Sure, some of the prices my be inflated before coupon, but many are not. I was just there, yesterday. This is what I bought... My mom puts some of her stuff on mine because of my coupon and credit card.

6 little boy shirts for my nephews at $4 each

4 bras $15 each

1 teen dress $20

1 pair of Nike flip flops $20

2 pairs of really nice undies for me buy one get one half off - total $16.75

Specific support socks for mom $16

1 shirt for my 9 year old ds $7

Total before 30% off coupon $165.99

After coupon total $124.32.

I also got $20 kohls cash to use next week AND they have a loyalty points program. You earn $5 for every $100 you spend. At this time, they offered 200 bonus points for shopping this weekend. So, I earned $15 in a emailed certificate that I will get at the end of the month. When you add that to the kohls cash... $35 to spend later.

I can't even begin to tell you how much stuff I have gotten free at kohls. I will say that some of the women's blouses don't last forever, but I like variety, so if a free top lasts me 2 years, I am happy to find something new.

I also only shop at michaels with coupons. I have been known to print out 5 coupons and hand one to each family member and give them one item, a coupon and cash to check out each item separately.

Most of the time I can't use the coupons. For example, JoAnn's sends me coupons for x% off a regular priced item. Then they put all the good stuff on sale, so nothing that I want is "regular priced". 

I rarely shop Bed, Bath & Beyond because I think they're overpriced, but occasionally they have something I want at a price I'm willing to pay. They constantly send coupons, and I never shop there without using one.

I don't shop Coach but the lines are very long on coupon days and no lines on other days.

Michaels, Bed Bath & Beyond, Barnes & Nobles, I'll remember to bring my coupons when I go browse.

My kids wanted the study lamps at Bed Bath & Beyond, so we used up two $5 off $15 to bring the price down to what we are more willing to pay.

We use Michaels 40% or 50% off for pine derby kits.

I wait for B&N 30% off for reference books that I want.

Yeah, I won't buy from Gap, Banana Rep, Loft, Ann Taylor, or jcrew without a code. Other than j crew, all of the above offer 40% practically every week now.

I feel the same.  I also won't buy from children's place, gymboree or crazy 8 without a 20% off coupon because they are always available.  I only buy from Joanne's with a 40% off coupon and I never feel any need to get sucked in by special promotions (such as old navy bucks) because they are never as good as the regular 40% off sales.

I am a HUGE Kohls shopper! Sure, some of the prices my be inflated before coupon, but many are not. I was just there, yesterday. This is what I bought... My mom puts some of her stuff on mine because of my coupon and credit card.

6 little boy shirts for my nephews at $4 each

4 bras $15 each

1 teen dress $20

1 pair of Nike flip flops $20

2 pairs of really nice undies for me buy one get one half off - total $16.75

Specific support socks for mom $16

1 shirt for my 9 year old ds $7

Total before 30% off coupon $165.99

After coupon total $124.32.

I also got $20 kohls cash to use next week AND they have a loyalty points program. You earn $5 for every $100 you spend. At this time, they offered 200 bonus points for shopping this weekend. So, I earned $15 in a emailed certificate that I will get at the end of the month. When you add that to the kohls cash... $35 to spend later.

I can't even begin to tell you how much stuff I have gotten free at kohls. I will say that some of the women's blouses don't last forever, but I like variety, so if a free top lasts me 2 years, I am happy to find something new.

The very things that attract you to Kohl's are the things that turn me off. I'm not much of a shopper but when I do spend enough to get the Kohl's cash, it has to be used the next week, and I'm not interested in shopping every week. 

So their constant email coupons drive me crazy but I can see where you would love them- you enjoy shopping! 

When Kohl's first came to our area, our kids were a lot younger and the low sale prices sucked us in and we ended up buying way more clothes than we needed.  It drove me crazy.  

And yet I don't unsubscribe from the emails because when I DO need to buy something from there, I sure as heck want to have a coupon for it!

The very things that attract you to Kohl's are the things that turn me off. I'm not much of a shopper but when I do spend enough to get the Kohl's cash, it has to be used the next week, and I'm not interested in shopping every week.

So their constant email coupons drive me crazy but I can see where you would love them- you enjoy shopping!

When Kohl's first came to our area, our kids were a lot younger and the low sale prices sucked us in and we ended up buying way more clothes than we needed. It drove me crazy.

And yet I don't unsubscribe from the emails because when I DO need to buy something from there, I sure as heck want to have a coupon for it!

Actually, I am not much of a shopper at all. I go to Publix like twice a month and SAMs club twice a month. I go to kohls when I need a gift or my kids need clothes. I don't just go to stroll around. I just like to get the most value for my money. Over and over again, Kolhs has proven to be the best source for gifts and clothing. My other gift choice and household shopping choice is Amazon because I don't have to leave the house and it has great prices.

ETA on this trip to kohls my original reason for going was to purchase shoes for my dd because hers had broke. She also needed a new bra. My mom needed to get more socks. The extra shopping came In because I don't like shopping. I saw bras were on sale for $15 and then another 30% off, so I picked one up for myself. I saw all the little boys shirts were on clearance for $4, so we bought 3 for each of my great nephews birthdays that aren't even until February next year. Now I just need to order them a book and their birthday gifts are done. And... Well... My dd tried on that cute dress and she is needing more clothes because she is getting taller by the minute, so that snuck in my cart.

You are correct that I will have to go back to spend my kohls cash. I am really good at going in and just spending the cash and no more. But it does make for an extra trip.

Over and over again, Kolhs has proven to be the best source for gifts and clothing. 

I agree. I don't get the hatred for Kohls. Sure the sales and coupons can be annoying, but even without the coupons most items in there are reasonably priced for the quality, and some are a really good deal. 

As for the Kohls cash, I rarely use it, but that doesn't bother me. I didn't lose anything by not using my Kohls cash.

Sure the sales and coupons can be annoying, but even without the coupons most items in there are reasonably priced for the quality, and some are a really good deal.

I don't hate Kohls. They actually have the cleanest restroom in the nearest mall to me which is a factory outlet mall. However every Kohls we went to have their Toys dept. in a big mess and the price tags are hard to locate prompting a walk to the nearest price scanner.

Since my nearest Kohls is in a factory outlet mall, the competitors for price and quality are many.